Will undeserving people win Oscars the next few years to make it more diverse?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of organizations feel the pressure to overrepresent minorities - especially African Americans, to avoid controversy. It's a real phenomenon. I've done it myself creating marketing materials.

BUT, that doesn't automatically mean than any minority got their achievements or recognition to fill a quota.

But it could mean that, which is why it's such a slippery slope.

Unfortunately, talking REALLY honestly about race, sex and class is extremely difficult.

Most Helpful Guy

• if you make a black quota for awards, then all of a sudden you are not picking the best 8 performances to pick a winner from, you are picking the best 6, with 2 black actors being considered not because their films deserve it, but because a quota demands it.

and what if there are 2 black people, minimum, in every category, and the white performers nominated that year were better, and all won? Should they be expected to lose because someone who did not deliver a performance as good as their own, but who IS black, gets recognition?

No. Everything should be based on quality and merit. EVERYTHING. I don't care if every person nominated is white, or if everyone is black. All I care about is if they deserved to be nominated. And with hundreds of movies made a year, employing thousands of actors, the idea that the very few picked for an award might not include black actors is just part of the system. it is not intentionally keeping them out, it is just that other performances were better!
    Besides, when you look at how many well known, big name white actors, have never been nominated, or never won? that shows that it isn't some conspiracy.

If there ABSOLUTELY MUST be a quota to ensure black people win an award, I suggest the category "Best black performance." And when they scream that that is inherently racist, and that they want to be listed with all the white actors? tell them that's how it worked before, and that out of the 2,400 actors in staring and supporting roles, the 8 chose for consideration were chosen for skill, not race, and a shit ton of other white people were also not picked. if they want to win, up their game, and hope that other big name projects flop.

What Girls Said 12

• Look, if a black person is a better actor or actress than a white person, then she or he will get the Oscar.

No one will give an Oscar to someone only because of the skin color.

I think they don't have any plans about making it more diverse.

• Of course not.

• No, don't be silly. I found it quite stupid that people were complaining about it. I mean, what? White people don't deserve awards anymore because they're white? Don't be silly.

• I unfortunately think they will. Skin tone shouldn't matter, only talent, but some black people /make/ it about skin color and accuse white people of doing it instead. So yes, eventually extremely talented people are going to get screwed over so favoritism can be shown for a different race. It's sad really, but no one is allowed to be equal anymore apparently and soon everything in society will follow suit with this.

• yeah, you sound like those same people who were screaming on and on about how gay marriage was going to bring about the end of the world, and then what next, people marrying animals. Like seriously, get a grip. You guys make everything seem so damn dramatic. Every change in history takes an incredible amount of time to happen. Just about nothing has changed in the academy b/c the same people who were allowed to vote this year, will be allowed next year, and year after that b/c board members who can only be selected by other board members, who select winners are there for life, unless now, they are inactive in the movie community for 10 years, then they get kicked out. So now, please, go ahead and tell us all how everything is going to magically change in the selection of Oscars and how and who selects winners and then how everything in society based on a few "actors" who make movies, are going to somehow corrupt all of society.

• Whew, you're delusional.

America has never been equal, it's always been white people over black people (and everyone else). Do you realize it's actually insane to say "racism against blacks isn't much of a thing anymore", also to say "we've been fine with how things have been in society". This is what people mean when they say " white people say there's no racism because it doesn't affect them". What you're saying is the equivalent of me saying, "world hunger must be solved because I ate today".

• @Electronica Well let's put it like this: I've /never/ treated a black person like they are below me and neither have the people I know. My best friend is actually half black, I've known her for 7 years, and I love her to death. I would take a bullet for her, I would die for her, and I will always do anything I can for her and put her before even myself.

So yeah, I've never seen this racism you are talking about. So Imma just carry on and love the hell out of my best friend, who I call my sister.

• You've set the question up skewed. Maybe in the future the academy will recognize talented men and women who identify as something other than white. Just because they aren't white doesn't mean they aren't deserving if they win in the future.

• That wasn't the question, it didn't ask about any specific race, just if "undeserving" people will win.

• @Sami365 And you can name "many more" but unless you live on another planet the number is still extremely small compared to white actors. Lets not play dumb here.

• @BangBadBxtches Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree, I suppose.

• People from other races are just as deserving. They are rarely nominated and when they are it's usually for playing a stereotypical or demeaning character of their race.

• You're assuming that the voting for the Oscars is fair to begin with. lol

• No. Oscars are based off talent.

• No.
    And I think you're missing the point.
    Lack of diversity is coming from lack of roles for minorities.

They are still going to nominate who they see best.

• No.

It would be nice for people to have more opportunities, though. If the actor/actress deserves the nom, then that's how it should be.

• if enough people demand it maybe the president will make it happen

• The whole issue is more representation on other races, it's not about an automatic Oscar. But I guess when a black person complains it's considered "whiny".

What Guys Said 22

• i don't think so. i may be in the minority, but i am a black person that doesn't necessarily think that the oscar's are not diverse. or at least i think it's unfair to ascribe that statement to them after one year in which there were no black major award winners

did anyone see Will Smith's concussion? great story, terrible movie with really campy acting by Smith. can hollywood use more diversity? sure why not, diversity is the key to racial harmony in our future but i don't think the Oscar's are racist or have systematically done anything to keep black actors from getting recognition.

i mean are they against Leo DiCaprio?
    are they pro Jennifer Lawrence?
    do they hate george lucas?

it's a competition with winners and losers. they are lots of huge stars who have never won or been nominated for awards of all races

• Hollywood will probably bend over backwards 10 different ways now to have quotas for "diversity." The whole #OscarsSoWhite meme was just propaganda by perpetually aggrieved people. Hollywood is one of the most liberal bastions in the world. Minorities have won Academy Awards in the past. The freaking head of the Academy is black. This whole thing was manufactured.

• But would undeserving people to make it more diverse actually be worth it I mean what would be the point of wining one if the person didn't actually earn it? and in the end isn't that more insulting and just make the award itself not really worth winning?

If you want to win something earn it period the best person wins and the unskilled person loses, that's why there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place or in the case of the Oscars just a 1st place. It goes to the most talented actor of that year or whenever they do it.

• We dont complain that most of the NBA is black and that we dont see as many white athletes winning awards.

Also if we are going to complain about races lacking oportunities in Hollywood, what about Asians?

When was the last time you saw an Asian win an oscar?

• Well every year people think some Oscar wins are undeserved so how do you measure?

I think there are films/people who aren't getting a fair chance because of race but i don't think it's as pronounced as some say and the problem is more with the wider industry than just the Oscars.

• Undeserving movies and actors have always won because the Oscars are a joke, and the whole diversity issue is a load of BS that was started by one slighted director, who managed to generate fervor by playing the race card, because when you play it you can't dispute it regardless of how ludicrous the claims are, or regardless of the various black performers and creators who have won over the last couple decades.

The Oscars have always been unfair, why do you think it took this long for DiCaprio to get his Oscar? And he's white!

• Newsflash,
    Undeserving people win oscars every year, they aren't actually about how good a movie or performance is,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Rim_(film)
    Pacific Rim was the best special effects in years,
    want to see what the nominations for best special effects were,
    Best Visual Effects
    Gravity – Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, and Neil Corboulddouble-dagger
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, and Eric Reynolds
    Iron Man 3 – Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash, and Dan Sudick
    The Lone Ranger – Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams, and John Frazier
    Star Trek Into Darkness – Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann, and Burt Dalton
    They Nominated THE LONE RANGER,
    AND THE BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS IN A MOVIE IN YEARS, PACIFIC RIM WASN'T EVEN NOMINATED,
    They keep screwing over Del Toro

• The fact that people still consider The Oscars an authentic indicator of film quality is a credit to hype.

• No, Hollywood is basically a white man's game, just like the NBA is a black man's game. And there's a 99% chance that an Asian male will not win one either.

• No need to sound so biased when asking a question, bro.

• To answer your question, no I don't think "undeserving" nonwhites will win Oscars. But I do feel that the academy will become more diverse over time.

• Possibly, I honesty think it was really stupid that black actors got upset. oscars are picked based on performence not race... it's rather silly, and they shouldn't be entitled just because they are black, same goes for any race.

• probably

• Meh. I would've taken the Danish Girl out to put in Concussion :P

• Yes, next year will have token nominations and awards.

• Probably. I certainly hope not, though.

• I hope not

• leo deserve it.

• Yes, hiring Chris Rock to present is just the beginning.

• That's relative and subjective, I don't think any of the nominees were worthy.

• ban it... who cares about it.

• The whole controversy is so stupid. Yes, for years any person of color who wasn't Sidney Poitier had no chance of being nominated, but that is no longer the case. Only about 12% of the US population is black, so if the selection was randomly based in any given year for a single category the chances that there would be no black nominee is actually about 52%. That is, more than half the time.

In 2006 Will Smith and Forest Whittaker (the winner) were nominated - 40% of the nominees. Did you see anyone complaining about over-representation?

• Yeah they will unfortunately. Progressivism is cancer.