Can my parents call the cops on me for kidnapping/running away if I'm 18?

I've been in a relationship with this guy for about 3 months and my parents have strict rules even though I'm 18 years old. They tell me if I ever tried spending the night with my boyfriend, they would call the cops on me and him for kidnapping/running away, and we would be arrested or sent back home. Is that even legal considering I'm a legal adult as far as laws and willing to be with him?

Most Helpful Guy

• They can call the cops, sure. The cops may even show up. But at 18, you are a legal adult, and if you say you are there by choice, the cops will most likely just leave. I say "most likely" because some will probably try to get more involved, but at 18 you are legally emancipated from your parents in the US, so there are no laws being broken. You have the right to go wherever you want. And there most certainly is not a kidnapping taking place if you just went over to his house. They would be at risk of filing false complaints if they knew he didn't actually kidnap you.

However, at 18 your parents also no longer have any legal responsibility towards you. So they can kick you out of the house whenever they feel like it. So the rules they enforce are part of the trade off...'we give you somewhere to live, and food to eat, and you do what we tell you to do'. There is no legal backing to any of it - either side can nullify the 'contract' at any time.

Basically, they can phone them, but it's not against the law so nothing will happen, legally. But they can kick you out of the house if you don't like what you're doing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Kidnapping does not only apply to children. So technically... yes, they can. However, with most missing persons/kidnapping charges... a period of like 24 hours needs to go by first. But that's also dependent on district.

Why not you just respect them and not be a snot about it?

• Respect is one thing, but controlling the asker in this way is not on. They don't own her!

• @dogbert444 You don't see the fear of letting a strange man take your daughter off somewhere? Perhaps 'cause you're a guy yourself.

• Update: my parents let him spend the night now because he's never been a "strange man" to them, they just needed time to adjust. I have respect for my parents, respect is also not calling strangers "snot" 's :)

What Guys Said 16

• Sounds like scare tactics to me. If you are there of your own free will then there is nothing that the police can do as long as in your state you are classed as an adult.

• Oh dear! Someone can't accept my criticism and has blocked me! Pathetic!

This lady is old enough to leave home, go to uni or get a job, and lead her own life. The parents may be concerned as to her well being, but she has the right to make her own choices. She has the right to do what she wants within reason and to make her own mistakes. If she is of an age that is considered adult, the police cannot do a thing.

• Kidnapping? Yes. But not for running away. People can call the cops if they think someone they know has been kidnapped, regardless of age. But since you are 18, they have less power in terms of bringing you home. No, you can't be arrested because legally you are an adult and neither can he be arrested (assuming your boyfriend is 18 years of age as well). However, if you don't go home with your parents, be prepared for the fact that they could and may kick your stuff out of their house because you no longer wish to live there.

• They can certainly call, but they could face fines or jail for filing a false police report. If they did do so you can just tell the cops the truth. They will probably want to talk to you in person without your boyfriend to be sure he isn't manipulating you, but that's as bad as things would get for you.

• In the US, only under VERY special circumstances. Generally, no. You're 18 and you have a constitutionally protected right to freedom of movement.

In fact, if your parents tell you you can't leave their house or whatever, you can call the police on THEM for criminal confinement (kidnapping, essentially).

• They could call the cops but if it isn't for a valid reason they can get in shit and or fined by the police. If you and your boyfriend are doing drugs or anything illegal and they show up you can be charged. If you are acting strange they can send you to a mental health facility

• That depends on local laws.

• In the US, you're an adult if you're 18 unless you someone has special custodionship over you. Adults have a constitutionally protected right to freedom of movement.

• Unless you live under Islamic law, the police would ignore your parents and try to explain that you are 18 and can do what you want.

• I think they could depending on where you live, but you would have to be gone a while. Usually it's 24hrs before they'll do anything about it.

• sounds like you are about to make a mess of your life, and no, your parents can't stop you. Just promise us all you won't burden your parents when the consequences of your bad decsions come to fruition.

• No. You are an adult. They have no authority over you. If they do call the police and show up, once they find out you are an adult, they will leave you alone... and likely give your parents a talking to.

go spend the night with him.

• Where are you going to stay? Figure that out first then we'll talk.

• Nit legally

• Nothing will happen. You're an adult and if you deny being kidnapped, no-one will get arrested...

• I seriously doubt it

• No, you're an adult. They can't do anything.

What Girls Said 5

• Depends where you live as to what the laws are. If you are legally allowed to leave home and have sex then no he cannot be charged with kidnapping and you cannot be arrested for running away. In actual fact if you willingly left and it was legal and your parents reported a kidnapping it would be illegal and they would be the one's in trouble for making a false complaint.

• You sure you're an adult? Sound more like an impulsive 14 year old who lacks common sense and discipline.

• You sure that's not a bit rude? I said in my post that MY PARENTD SAID if I tried that, I'd have that happen to me, so the question was asking about what they said, not what I as threatening to do. I don't think it's impulsive to ask your question, but that must be lacking common sense in your household to ask basic questions.

• Depends. If you are still in high school then maybe. Otherwise, probably not. Still would be safer to look into it though.

• Why are you spending the night if it's only been 3 months they're only looking out for you don't be stupid

• They can call the cops on him for kidnapping, but I think that's the extent.