Anyone here have or raised Rabbits or Bunnies as pets?

Or hares? I'm asking since I' am interested in having a pet rabbit at some point, well at least hopefully.

How does it compare to raising and or owning the typical pets such as cats and dogs?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Rabbits are interesting pets, but not as cuddly as cats or dogs. I've had two and although their personalities were interesting and they both loved being petted, neither were interested in snuggling, and both just seemed too independent. Cats do their own thing, but they'll let you pick them up and cuddle them (even if it's not their cup of tea sometimes). Neither rabbit would do such a thing. I suppose it depends on the size of the rabbit, and how much of a connection you have with it. I would say if you've never had a rabbit before it's definitely worth getting one because it's a very different experience than any other pet. Just be sure that you buy from a breeder or an adoption/rescue center (not a petstore), and that the rabbit you choose, you definitely feel a connection with before you buy. My first rabbit was one I picked out myself, and was my favorite ever. My second one was picked by a family member, and to this day my rabbit and I sometimes don't get along.

Most Helpful Guy

• i have...

rabbits are generally very clean and will instinctively toilet in the same place. I've actually found them easier to toilet train than cats.

if you know what you are doing, house rabbits can be fantastic pets, but unlike cats they are sociable animals so require a fair amount of interaction. they tend to ge depressed without regular interaction.

• Guess I'll have to keep that one in mind and check on them every so now and then and not leave them by themselves for lengthy periods of time then. Other than that, I'd probably have to get enough carrots to feed for them also, right?

• if you are planning on getting more than one rabbit, then they won't need so much attention as they will have each other to them company. having said that, they will still need your attention daily to keep them tame and happy. rabbits are very sociable.

as for the carrots... well they are actually bad for your rabbit if given too frequently. the whole bugs bunny thing is false. rabbits dont eat root vegetables very often in the wild.

the occasional carrot isn't a problem and can be given as a treat, but their main food source should be good quality hay, complimented with cabbage and broccoli. they should also be able to graze on grass. however, dont give them lawn clippings as this can contain oil from the lawn mower.

small portions of rabbit pellets should also be available.

• thanks for mho.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask

What Girls Said 3

• YES I'VE HAD LIKE THREE, but they've all died. One, got ran over. Second, got ran over. Third, froze to death. I suggest to keep them on check, don't leave the door open, and when it's cold.. make sure to make that bunny warm. Do not hurt them like I did (When I was 5, I used to throw my poor bunny to the wall and then ran over to hug it, DON'T DO THAT.) Take good care of a bunny as if it were a child, they're very sensitive.

• I found a dog easier to look after & a better pet.

• nope.

my cousin has a few.

He keeps them in the roof. They hop and so cute.

What Guys Said 4

• In the house? Or outside?

They are more work than a cat, less work than a dog. You'll want to let it out of its cage, but even though you can train them to use a litter box like a cat, they tend to be a bit lazy, and if they are hiding behind the couch or something they'll just stay there instead of going to track down the litter box. And they will chew all sorts of things. They will eat the back of the couch, your books, your speaker wires... everything they can. So, higher maintenance than a cat if you let it roam around out of its cage. But not like going and keeping a dog properly exercised and stuff.

And you'll need to keep the cage clean... the ammonia smell can get really over powering if you let it slide too long.

• They're really low maintenance. Give them food and water and clean their cage once in a while and they're happy. Comparable to owning a cat, a hell of a lot easier than owning a dog.

• I see. I'll that in keep in mind. When you say easier, which parts are easier specifically? Does that include costs to keep and raise them?

• Yeah rabbits are way cheaper than dogs. And again, about the same as a cat. Minimal/no training, less & cheaper food, minimal execise, overall just so much easier than a dog.

• I have had a rabbit before. They are nice, but they shit everywhere. They don't have much personality though.

• I haven't myself but I have a friend who has a pet bunny because he's allergic to cats and dogs.