What was your most embarrassing social media moment?

Have you experienced any embarrassing social media faux pas? Any stories of accidental follows, uncomfortable Facebook tags, or misspelled tweets are welcome! Share with us your funniest or most embarrassing social media moments! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Facebook:

My friends and I were stalking this hot guy... I was using my old phone and geena was crazy in those days (yeah, my phone's name is geena), so I was in his profile, looking at his pics, and suddenly geena decided to poke him.

The dude has never heard about me before and he received a poke from me, a total stranger... Sadly, with a friend in common D: so of course his friend knew that I was stalking his friend.

Bet it was like:

—Hey, your friend poked me, who's this?
    —Oh, her, we are not friends tho
    —But why did she poke me?
    —I don't know man... Was stalking you, maybe.

Some time later, my friend added him on snapchat and then she took my phone and added him to my account too.

Days later, he asked me who I was, said he didn't know me, we started talking and we had a nice chat :) he's a funny guy.

Snapchat:

My friend's boyfriend was my friend with benefits before dating her, so we used to send dirty messages and stuff.

After he started dating her, we stopped talking, we decided it was better that way.

One day he calls me and tells me he broke up with my friend and asks me for nudes, I refuse since I have no interest in him now and well, he was dating my friend.

He kept texting and said that having a 3some with her friend would be nice, I answer and say "I don't think your girlfriend is going to like that" and guess what?
    I sent the message to his girlfriend by accident.

She asks me wtf is going on and I said I was chatting with another dude, she didn't believe me so she asked him what was the problem, he tells the truth and she knew I was lying.

My friend and I still talk and we're cool, but this dude never texted me again hahaha, I'm happy for that tho, I don't want more problems with my friend.

Snapchat:

Met this guy at a nightclub, he asked me for my snapchat account and gives me his account.

He didn't add me and I didn't add him, months later I see this note on my phone with his name and I'm like "meh, why not, let's add him". I added him and I sent a snapchat in underwear lol
    Then he texts me and says "who's this?" And I was just like... "Eh, it was an accident, sorry", he goes like "don't apologize, it's cool", we kept talking and after some days, I finally told him I was the girl from the club, and he was like "ooooh man, why didn't you add me before", and I was like "you bastard! You didn't add me either" XD of course I didn't say that to him hahaha

I have many embarrassing situations lol

• lol, funny :D

• @Yumix damn, I didn't remember she was a mod lol I knew it was her tho.

Fcking beaoch lol

And yes, that's true, you were my hero that day XD

Most Helpful Guy

• I was on facebook on my phone, and there was girl in my high school class who was trying to friend me. I hit accept because the name sounded familiar but I wasn't quite sure if it was the person I was thinking of. (The profile pic was one that didn't show her face so I couldn't use that.)
    I decided then to scroll through her feed to find a photo of her to identify her as. (In hindsight I should used the photo category thing). As I was using my thumb to scroll down, my phone had a hiccup and stopped the page, so my thumb accidentally liked a photo instead of a scroll down... Of her in a bikini with her tagged friends... From years ago from that date.
    I dunno if it sent a notification to her and her friends or just her 😱

*unliked photo*
    *internal screaming*
    *defriend her*
    *hope she saw nothing*

What Girls Said 103

• Searched my crush on Facebook to gawk over his pictures, but accidentally posted him as my status instead

• My high school put on Les Miserables as their spring musical, and I decided I'd record a few of the scenes and post them on Facebook. In the One Day More number, the actor playing Javert (who was VERY good looking) had to change shirts while onstage. So, me being the brilliant 16-year-old I was, thought I'd be funny and zoom in on him in that moment.

Because of that moment, I decided not to post that video, but my mom convinced me to because she said the zoom "wasn't noticeable." So I listened to my mom and posted the video. And of course, EVERYONE remarked on the shirtless zoom. Made for an awkward moment when I met his girlfriend later.

• When I just got a Facebook account, I wanted to stalk someone and instead of typing the name in the search bar, I posted it as my status and only realised what I did when they commented "?". Awkward.

• I was stalking this one girl's instagram account and accidentally hit the follow button. I immediately unfollowed her but I felt so scared inside lol.

• Well I don't use social media sites so hopefull GAG qualifies.

So anyways about a month ago a woman asked a question about about "Why does her husband deny watching porn when they're the only two that live in their house and he doesn't clear the history"

The site/screen looked a little weird and stretched out but I didn't think much about it. I just assumed that you guys updated the site again. I could see the question and the details so I was like whatever.

Anyways right under her details she had my profile pic up there and I totally freaked. I was like omg that's not porn (I mean it wansn't exactly the most "modest" pic of me") and I was so embarrassed and said are you kidding not a single one of you realized that that's me up there I'm on here 24/7 you've seen my profile before 😩

So I left the question and came back to it later and my picture wasn't even up there. My comments also weren't under my opinion and was under someone elses and I even went off on one of my buds @maxemiester like how could you not say anything you can clearly see that's me up there and he was like wtf are you talking about O_o
    😂

Yeah I guess it didn't load right or whatever happened and instead of my profile pic being next to the words where it says "Have an opinion?" It was by where it says Facebook, Twitter, and your details -_-

• Not really on social media, but kinda within myself lmao.
    I followed my crush on instagram like 2 years ago.

... WHEN HE FOLLOWED BACK... u should have seen my reaction. that is all. #14again

• Oh gosh, this is still embarrassing even to talk about!
    Somehow, Facebook SMS notifications got enabled on my phone, and I had replied "STOP" several times to no avail. When it said someone accepted my friend request, I replied "SHUT THE FUCK UP! STOP! I'VE ASKED YOU THREE TIMES ALREADY!" Then I got a message from the friend saying, "Um, what?" I about died! I had to explain and we both got a good laugh out of it, but I still feel bad!

• I was in like 6th grade and just got a Facebook, and I had no idea how to use it. So my friend had a big crush on this guy I had just become Facebook friends with and he posted a picture of him on a date so I called up my friend and was like yo your boy just posted a pic of him on a date, and she's like dang. Will you comment something for me? And I was like yeah sure! (Not understanding that all of the family who also commented on that post would be able to see my comment) so she had me comment something like "this is a message from a secret admirer who you'll learn of shortly. oh how I wish that was me on that date with you, because you're such an incredible amazing person, sincerely your secret admirer." Bottom line is we were like 12 and this guy was 16 and was totally freaked out by the comment number one, and number two was embarrassed of all the people and family who could see it so he messaged me and asked me to delete it. Suuuper awkward. I still feel bad, four years later lol.

• I once read an article about a Mexican who did very bad disgusting things. It was a disturbing. His name was Jesus and I went on this well thought out rant about how it was a shame someone named after the son of God and what not would do such things and his clearly religious parents are probably so ashamed... my comment quickly got filled with everyone informing me that Jesus was pronounced "heysus" and it was a Hispanic name. I have never felt so stupid after saying something brillant.

• I get hundreds of facebook friend requests daily. Mostly from Indian, Spanish and Arab guys. Not only do they flood my inbox, they comment on my pictures. And those comments are not just "Nice eyes." No. They go from: "Can I be your boyfriend?" to "I bet you give good head fam" and they actually mean it. One even proposed marriage via messenger. As someone who considers my looks as not that perfect, I wonder how my schoolmates and people whom I know react to this, as not all of them are actual friends. They usually friendly mock me but I keep thinking about creeps thinking of me naked or even touching themselves to my pictures. I usually just block people that go out their way to tell me they want to have sex with me, but I still have fear people that I know saw them... What's the deal with those people? I asked a few. Some don't like women of their race/culture, some are shy irl, but what on earth happened to them to think it's ok to say those things? Lol, it's funny after a while, but it's scary the moment it happens...

• yep, when i made a twitter a niall horan fan account followed me and i honestly thought it was niall horan. i was so shocked and god it was so embarrassing when my little sister told me it was just a fan account haha. i deleted twitter right after that, not my thing lol

• hahah read through all my question haha! I can't get more embarrassed than that.

• I accidentally friended someone I was trolling. It was my ex's niece and she was s major bitch I liked sering how fat and disgusting she was getting. And hearing her whine when my bf's brother left her butch mother that would try to jump me and tried to run me over when I walked my son to school and I was on crutches. The daughter yelled out move it bitch. And I was enjoying seeing how fat she was getting. And posting about sex with her Weasle of a boyfriend she could have snapped in half. And him dumping her. She accepted my friend request and I saw she messaged me and I told her I didn't want to friend her I was checking in to see how miserable she was. And say hi to that cunt you call mom. I was so fucking nice to that bitch and she and her mom would try to ruin my relationship with my boyfriend and they made a bunch of problems leaving hateful phone messages. Stealing my bf's phone and asking me to send a dirty text. I knew it wasn't him so I said say hi to that bitch and her cunt of a mother in met message yo me on face book she said she isn't s bitch and her mom isn't a cunt. And I said wow it's like you must have been the bitch that stole Tony's phone and asked for dirty pictures of me. you know the butch with the cunt mom that defended her.

• I am pretty careful what I post. But there was one time I went to send a picture to my boyfriend that was a sweet quote not inappropriate or anything. It was just a love quote. Well usually my boyfriend would be the first chat bubble but I was chatting with another guy to buy a video game from him. So his chat bubble was first. Yeah... I sent it to the guy that was selling the game. I was imbarrised, we both laughed ha ha.

• Once, when I was in my first year of undergrad, I commented on a photo that one of my friends was tagged in. Sounds innocuous, right? Well, I thought that a friend who went to a different uni was tagged, and it was a photo of something verrrrrrry specific to our university. In my comment, I had explained the whole thing to my friend without realizing that "Denver" was not "Danielle" and he knew all about it because he was actually in the photo.

When I realized my mistake, I had to scramble to get on to my mother's laptop to delete the comment. I think I was able to do it before anyone noticed. At least, no one ever mentioned it to me.

I have never been more panicked over Facebook before, except for maybe when a user from here decided to stalk and threaten myself, my friends and family.

• I was chatting with my crush and his friend at the same time on Facebook, and then they both started acting really weird, ending with his friend confessing his undying love for me (scaring me to death)... Turns out, he was staying over at my crush's house and they decided to switch Facebooks and prank me. It worked... They bought me chocolate to make up for it later though. I'm just thankful I didn't completely blow it somehow and say something ridiculous.

• It's childish to prank someone to trigger emotions especially if you have low self-esteem. And maybe your chrush actually liked you and expressed himself the only way he could. Maybe he used his friend's FB to get you to admit you like him instead...

• @RedTailWhiteTip well, he ended up friend zoning me not too much later... So I doubt that was the case. But to be fair, we were sort of kids anyway, since we were only 13. It wasn't nice, but "childish" really isn't that far off...

• @RedTailWhiteTip isn't that what a prank is supposed to be? 0. O

• When i was a teenager I liked a guy I only knew by name- had never talked to him. So then I checked his facebook account and accidently hit the 'send friend recuest' button... I didn't realize it until he had accepted it. Then we never talked on facebook and not in real life either. Now we aren't fb-friends anymore, but we always exchange awkward looks.

• I don't really have anything lol I barely use social media. I think the worst thing that happened was when I left a rude comment on someone's photo. I was following one of those cookies/cupcakes accounts. The lady made really cute cupcakes. And one day she posted a photo that read "if you skip dinner and eat this chocolate you can lose weihgt". She was referring to a specific chocolate that was made as a "meal replacement" I thought it was really stupid and irresponsible that someone would choose to eat chocolate everyday. I thought that it might have been a joke, but I also thought that even if it was someone who is young might not realize it's a joke, and wanting to lose weight, might stop eating real food and eat chocolate instead.
    So I left a comment and told her that maybe everyone should just eat healthier instead of listening to stupid fads. She and her followers got pissed and said rude things back lol. Not that I cared. I just unfollowed her and made my account private haha

• Dunno about embarrassing. But I have stories related to making fake accounts.

When I was 15 my best friend (at the time) made a fake account, pretending to be male and my boyfriend's (now ex) neighbour and said he knew me through him. When I asked my boyfriend he said he has never seen him before in his life.
    I found out later on that my best friend was trying to break me and my boyfriend up because she wanted him for herself. Teenage drama erupted but in hindsight I wish I would have just left it alone.

• i have a fb account that i made 2 years ago to join a community to sell certain stuff. i ended up making friends in that community (and pimping every single one of them) and adding a few close friends from my childhood, my brother, etc. my name and birthdate are all fake and everyone keeps saying happy birthday, even my brother called me just to say happy birthday... so embarrassing...

• You should delete that account, if you are using it under false pretence... It's getting a little too old for catfish. You don't want to end up on live tv that way!

• lool... i dont think I want to know! haha enjoy your pimping time. lol

• Dang, play on playa!

• My friend posted something about eating a whole jar of bacon bits and feeling disgusted... so I commented back "Oh I love to eat bacon tits!" But, it was supposed to say, "Oh I love to eat bacon bits!"

• in the 6th grade back when those shitty slide phones were hip i was on facebook and I was commenting on a status that a bunch of my friends were commenting on. Since the layout was crappy the search bar was right next to the comment on post bar and I searched the first and last name of this guys profile i wanted to creep ( who my friends knew) but he didn't know me. I didn't notice until 10 mins later it POSTED AS A COMMENT. no one liked it or responded and to this day i'll never know if anyone noticed or if the guy found out. this was before screen shotting days thankfully

• Lol, I probably did do something super embarrassing on social media, but I truly can't remember anything noteworthy. Maybe I will later, but for right now I'm stumped. This is surprising since I am a very embarrassing person. It'll come to me at some point...

• I had posted something that was meant for a private group out in the open. Let me tell you, it def raised a lot of questions.

• That sounds really painful. Did you die?

• @Jon_Gre_g lol, no. I thankfully deleted it before anyone that shouldn't have seen it (i. e., mom, dad, sister, brother, etc.) could have seen it. If they did, they didn't confront me. But a lot of my friends started messaging me, lol.

• I unintentionally tagged someone on Facebook. It was on picture of 3 or 4 couples kissing, we had to type in a number and a name will automatically pop up. It said if type in this number, we will know who is the love of our life, if I remember well?
    Little did I know that FB selects someone from our friends list. It was a guy who was with me in class. He blocked me after he saw the tag. It was so weird, lol.

• Nope.
    No social media activity. xD
    Sparing myself the embarrassment.

• I don't have any Social Media embarrassing moments. Since I don't really do social media.

I do have some funny online game embarrassing funny moments. Mainly due to getting in game chat box names mixed up and sending a more personal message. Which ends up going to the guild or worse world chat. :D

• I guess yeah. It only happened this first of March (my bestfriend's birthday). I know we've been both so busy with our different current jobs and haven't been together for weeks already so I didn't know if we could together on that special day. I opened Fb and started seeing our friends and family posting on her wall their greetings and birthday wishes and so I started to wrote her one heartfelt message and also posted it on her wall with our best pictures like I usually do. After like a couple hours, people started liking my birthday message but not her so I waited. When the day was about to end, I saw her giving reactions to some other birthday messages on her wall but not in mine. I started to feel so bad and so embarrassed so I decided to change the privacy of that message from public to only me before she totally ignored it. :'(

• Not embaressing in that sense but it was horrible. Every now and then in my "recommended friends" section facebook showed me someone that i'm not on speaking terms anymore. So one time I accidently added them as a friend by clicking on the wrong place and I was like ew wtf no no no i do NOT want to add that person as a friend. What made it worse is that if i friended them they would get the wrong idea and think i want to be good with them again. This was years ago on Facebook when you couldn't cancel a friend request you had sent someone. Luckily I thought quickly and just blocked them, which I should have done years ago, come to think of it

• My brother lives in Australia and I posted about an Aussie band on his wall and one of his friends tagged a guy saying "I know this band / these guys, this is the drummer" tagged a guy and it was a band member. Then I re-read my post and it turns out I spelled "Sydney" wrong... awkward.

• More from Girls
    73

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 77

• Any time I post a status and it gets NO likes or comments, I kinda regret making it, considering I have 650+ friends who could've seen it.

• I thought I'm the only one who does! Lol

• Yea lol that really pissed me off.. happens every now and then especially if you think its cool lmfao

• I accidentally shared a picture of a friends ultrasound thinking I was just commenting on it while I was at an airport. I think I just said 'so excited!' and people saw this and thought that was my girlfriend and my unborn child. People were surprised to learn of this new found girl in my life and that I was excited to be having a baby with her. My parents were also like 'wtf is going on?' but I was catching a flight and didn't see any reactions until I got to my destination

• When I chose my username for GAG and then found out that I can't change it. I'm eternally fucked :(

• Dat moment when you accidentally follow that person from your distant past and then hope to God they don't message you to catch up.

• I'm embarrassed that I ever had a social media profile to start with. That shit is for the birds🐔🐧🐦🐤

• Nothing really. Just argued with another stranger about how Morning Wood is not Mahogany. I was blocked for that post. I'm not saying anymore. But from others, I've seen plenty.
    img.opposingviews.com/.../...ed204814023302581.png

• I sent a dirty snap chat meant for a girl accidentally to one of my mates, and he proceeded to tell all my friends about it xD

• I wouldn't say embarrassing is the right word but one time my friend who moved to Seattle tagged me and a bunch of friends in a status about smoking a blunt. And while its legal there, it's not legal here so I asked him to untag me because even though I do smoke weed, I don't post that kinda stuff on social media.

• Oh lord... when Facebook came out, so many of them. drunk photos, girls i flirted with meeting other girls that i flirted with, people posting stuff that wasn't necessary about me and the list goes on. Thats why like @BertMacklinFBI said..."i don't do social media" anymore.

• Why did this question show up in my notifications? I JUST set my settings to not notify me of when a followee asks a question (maybe it takes a couple of hours to propogate? Or @GirlsAskGuys is a particularly privileged account).

Well I just unfollowed @GirlsAskGuys, so maybe that will help.

Also, while we're on the topic of not seeing things I don't want to see, is there any way to mark a question as "uninteresting?"

There are questions I've been ignoring ALL WEEK (featured and unfeatured). Now, my whole top page to my feed is nothing but crap I have no interest in and I have to start digging to find the good stuff.

• I'm not big on the whole social media thing so I can't say I've ever made any. Though my ex made a social media screw up that was how I found out she was cheating on me. I had my suspicions before though.

• Well I don't do facebook or twitter, but one time my mom took a picture of me doing something kinda silly at an event we were at. She said she would post the good pictures to her facebook and not that one. Well since her phone is a touch screen she accidentally posted it. We didn't realize it for a good long hour until her phone started going of like crazy. She didn't know why until we opened it and saw what the problem was. Everybody liked it tough, but we still took it down and just laughed along with the rest of the people we were with.

• When gag introduced a stupid update!

• Nothing much really, i just caught a girl creeping on my profile, she like a photo of my dead cousin that i posted in 2011, this happened last year, and after that incedent, i took a trip in my profile to delete every stupid thing i posted in the past 😂😂😂

• I don't know if this qualifies as social media. But ages ago I was on Yahoo Instant Messenger (a chat thing). I was chatting with a woman and we were getting pretty sexual and dirty with our chatting which was normal for us.

At the same time in another window I was chatting casually with another woman who was just a friend I met on a forum. Well anyway I accidentally chatted something dirty to the wrong person. It was embarrassing because we didn't have that type of relationship at all up to that point. But she ended up just laughing it off as no big deal.

• Once, I signed up for Facebook.
    ... That's it.

• no, cause i hardly do social media

• In one sent my ex girlfriend a public Facebook post when I was very very drunk. It was declaring that I would do anything to have her back 😲😲😲

I hadn't seen or spoken to her in at least 4 years by then. She wasn't even someone I missed at all to be honest. We had only gone out for a couple of months so I have no idea where tot came from.

All my friends saw it & I still get remind of it to this day.

• I don't remember

• I guess when my sister came on GAG and called me by my nickname that only she uses.

• Really drunk one night accidentally uploading a dick pic to facebook instead of tumbler?

• Well it was online I was talking to my friends in a group chat

I turned off the camera so they couldn't see me but the Mic was still on and I started watching prn
    They heard everything and recorded it all... They put it on Facebook but deleted it when I said i was mad at them

• Don't judge me. I was about 11 or so when this happened. Somebody had posted on Facebook about how he hated grammar Nazis, so I commented on his post, "That's not how you spell Nazi! It's like this! (Nazzi)" I was being totally serious... Hopefully everyone thought I was joking, eh?

• Being betrayed and then ranting on about it on Facebook, which led to so many people getting mad and accusing me of being a whiner.

• http://www.memes.com/img/63407
    "I live in constant fear of accidentally mentioning something I only know about you because I've stalked you on the internet." [meme]

Hasn't happened to me, but I could see it would be super embarrassing if it happened to someone.

• My Facebook page when I was 14-15.

• I don't have any, because I'm not a fucking moron like 90% of people online, who share all the mind numbing minutia of their daily lives, and all their private information. It's really simple--don't be an idiot, and remain private, and you won't run into embarrassing social media situations.

• When I had a question with zero responses closed after 48 hrs on gag.

• I have since disconnected all my social media accounts since I feel I don't want the world following my every move.
    But when I did have Facebook, I was dating this woman who turned out to be a real c**t. I caught her telling her ex boyfriend about our sexual experiences.

For some odd reason she needed a new phone after I saw that...

• I posted a cosplay runway show pic of myself, where I had lots of eyeliner on, The next day I showed up to highschool. Everyone was like where's your makeup pretty boy , especially got abused from my Volleyball team members lol.

• More from Guys
    47