Any advice please :( ?

So... I've recently started loosing faith in myself when it comes to Chemistry... My notes have always been high, and now the worst notes I get are in math and chemistry... No matter how hard I study for them I end up failing the test! I don't know what to do anymore ( in math the fault is on the teacher, coz she literally doesn't explain anything, and when she does, she gives it soooo quickly as if we already know it, now there's a new teacher that explains EVERYTHING SO GOOD, so it won't be a problem FOR NOW... The old teacher is coming back... :'( " anyways... I'm not being able to believe in myself again coz I failed so many times in it... So, have you guys been
in this situation before? And if so, how did u manage to get through it?
my boyfriend gave me a " tip" but it isn't working :(I'm really exhausted of this :(

Thanks for the guys that offered explaining things to me! I really appreciate that!

Most Helpful Guy

• "No matter how hard I study for them I end up failing the test!"
    - Have you sat down with a tutor or the teacher as far as where you're getting stuck and concepts that are taking more time? If i were you, i would allocate time to studying, then reviewing with the teacher if she/he feels you have all the concepts that will be on the test.

"in math the fault is on the teacher, coz she literally doesn't explain anything, and when she does"

- I'd stay away from blaming the teacher, each teacher's method may or may not appeal or resonate with you but might work for others. This won't only happen in education but in life which is why you're learning these skills today. You're going to have team leaders, managers and bosses that aren't always going to communicate information the way you'd like. Which is why you are going to have to learn to problem solve this problem here.

Advice: Firstly, it's okay to fail. I applaud your efforts as i am sure you excel in other areas and this is a weaker subject for you given the circumstances. I had a hard time with Financial accounting and the best thing that happened to me was admitting i had a hard time and looking for help.

What you can do on your own might take 8 hours where with a tutor.. might take 4 hours.

• Yep I do go to some evening classes everyday, except for the weekends, and we do math and chemistry there, I do things RIGHT... And trust me, I'm blaming it on the teacher for a reason, we are 32 students in my class, and my class is one of the classes that have good students in it, in ALL MATH TESTS that we had with that old teacher bit even 7 out of 32 managed to pass the test.. Not just in my class.. In all the classes SHE GIVES... Now u know why I'm blaming her for it?😐 And the problem is that I do things good before the test... When its the test time I'm just so shocked about it

Most Helpful Girl

• ok sweety listen :)
    failure sucks and can really hurt your ego, especially if you were really killing it before. like you never thought you d fail in anthng and then Bam.
    I had a similar experience when I entered university to study architecture...
    I was really good in school and all but architecture has a different approach, and you need to have artistic skills which I lacked at that time. so it really put me behind and crushed my self esteem. Moreover I didn t get along with the coordinator and we always argued about my projects, (even after I got better). That was really depressing and stressful because no matter what I did or presented he always crushed it completely for like 2 years. and even if the other instructors liked me and the ideas I did, when he starts talking they follow him...
    so it really brought me down, and crushed my self esteem for like 2 years until my parents forced me to change university and now I am doing great here.
    in brief, what kept me going was mainly my ego I didn t accept failure and I would have stayed in the former university if my parents didn t push me.
    other support was my parents, they really helped me through this.
    my dad is civil so tried helping me in my projects.
    other support is my friends, my friends in univ always had my back.
    so ask your friends for help in some courses, get a tutor if your friends aren t enough and try to keep yourself motivated by never accepting failure.
    like you don t lack anthng to no be doing it right.

• excuse the English mistakes xD I just noticed it :P

What Guys Said 7

• I haven't had your problem (as a senior in high school I was ranked #1 in my state in chemistry), but I have tutored many in math and chemistry.

The first problem students have in chemistry is the nomenclature (how things are named). You are not used to it.

You have to memorize a lot. Start with the elements. Do you know all the symbols and names? Next, know the polyatomic ions. Do you know what NO3 is? What is the difference between an oxide and a hydride? You can learn these by copying onto paper, copy a period table of names and symbols onto paper by hand until you get them all. Do the same for the polyatomic ions. You can memorize by copying. Do it a few times if needed.

Next learn the valences/charges of ions. This is how the elements fit together to form compounds. Print the table out from this page and refer to it often, it becomes your "go to" page for writing formulas

mynameischemistry.weebly.com/...nic-compounds.html

Study this chart very carefully. You will see most elements have a pattern to their charges based on the columns they are in. These patterns correspond to electron shell configurations. Go back to the table you copied and write in the charges.

For conversions (how many g's of X do you need to make 3.5 g of Z in aX +bY -> cZ), realize that you are multiplying by '1' every time. 1 mole = 6.02 x10^23 molecules = 2.016 g H2. Any combination of one of those divided by another is nothing more than 1.

• Chemistry has sort of a mix of memorization of facts and formulas and details, and ability to do calculations. If you normally get good marks, and you study hard, i'm guessing the memorization aspect is NOT the problem.

So it's understanding the formulas, and how to use them.

You might be able to find sources online that explain it better to you.

• Yes you're totally right, the memorizing part isn't a problem at all for me, I go to some evening classes for help and I do things good there, but when, it gets to the test I don't know what happens :/

• I think my problem is that I get nervous and stress out during the test which leads me to get confused and forget everything... I tried to control that but I don't know how

• And my other problem is basically loosing faith in myself after failing lots of times after all the hard work

• Have you tried tutoring or going in for extra help? Also finding someone who understands it and having them help could improve your understanding and scores

• I go to some evening classes for help and I do things good there, but when, it gets to the test I don't know what happens :(

• He will just say which topics we should study, like, " you will have to study the topic 4+5 for this test " thats all he says

• Ah yeah that sucks :/

• Hey take time to relax a bit and know the difficulty is part of every student's life in the whole world. Teachers are just guidance... learn on your own. Don't expect on teachers... they'll just give you a general topic to study and that's it basically and rest are just fillers. Get the books, notes, help from others, and do it on your own... learn to learn on your own. In school. The more you study... the more you win. Basically.

• Just stay in there. I'm sure it's not your fault, your a smart girl who if anything maybe needs a little break. You need time to relax :)

• Aaawwww thank you so much!!! 😊 the problem is that I don't have time to relax 😅😂

• Lol I know what you mean sometimes you just need to forget school and focus on who you are

• Post the chemistry topics that you have trouble understanding. I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

• I have problems with the dissolutions and the reactions when I have to know the % of some element or when they aren't pure and I have to know how pure the element is when its in a mixture, etc, you think u can explain those if I give u an example? 🙈🙉

• I'll try
      Give me an example

• Alright, I will send you an example when I have some questions, and thank you, I really appreciate that! 😊

• Which Maths are you studying? I can help you if you want.

• I have problems with algebra, vectors, etc. I'm at 11th grade right now🙉 thank you so much!

• Yeah, sure. Just let me know when you need any help. I'm not a teacher but I'll do my best to explain things.

• Thank you! 😄 I really appreciate that! I will message you when I have a question 😊

What Girls Said 6

• Are you reading the textbook? If the textbook doesn't explain things well then go to a bookstore and buy a review book. I assume you mean a high school chemistry course. Now I don't mean go on the Internet and look at the books. I mean go to a bookstore so you can touch feel and read and decide which one is best for you

• When i was in first and second year of high school my notes in physics has dropped a lot to very low cuz i didn't understand lessons cuz i had bad teachers. However i tried hard but qtill my notes were so bad when i got to third year i had a good teacher and i got better little by little so dont stress and the most important is to not lose faith in urself cuz you CAN

• It is absolutely not your fault. Chemistry is unnecessarily difficult. I had to take it more than once and I consider myself intelligent. I also know at least three others who also did not do well. Or needed to take it again.

Your best bet is to get a tutor or someone who can help because Chemistry is literally an unbelievable puzzle of a subject.

• I had the exact same problem. I took a summer course for credit so that I didn't have to take the class again. They used computer courses with games and visual aids to assist in learning. It was much easier.

My advice, try to find an online chemistry program or some kind of visual aid to help better understand the material. :)

• I will look for that, thank you 😊❤

• aw happends to everyone, don't beat yourself over it.. if i were u id go on a little walk, or a run and take my mind off it and then come back and study harder-its good to take breaks and get your mind off the issue that's bothering u. Also, maybe try meditating so you don't stress as much. Everything will be ok in the end, if its not ok well then its not the end!

• well,... in my experience, i've never in your condition before, because i'm not only learn from my teacher,. i just use their question for me to learn by myself,. i remember before i have a final test,. i learn math like hell,. i'm collecting a question test that ever used before in other period more than two or three period,. and then i try to finish it all,. there are some of question that i found that i never learn before,. but i search it on google. and it's really worth it,. i'm pass the test, just by one wrong in my test.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more