Is it okie if I didn't go to the prom?

I mean I don't have a lot of friends in school and I don't have a prom date so why would I go? Would I miss anything if I didn't go

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't have a date to my prom. No one ever asked me! I almost didn't go, but turns out - I had a BLAST! You should def go. Go with the friends you do have. You'd be missing out on an experience that all your friends will get to look back on and you won't. I say go, have fun and to be honest, it's a lot more fun going stag than with a date!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's totally fine. There is nothing wrong with that. I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to go because of not having many friends in school.
    But, I think you should, though. For the ambiance. I didn't have a prom date when I graduated, but it still happened to be a blast for me xD Just go man! You'll have nothing to lose.

What Girls Said 25

• Yes, of course it is. Look at the bigger picture here. In 15-20 years when you're President/CEO of your own fabulous company or Nobel Laureate, will anyone remember whether you were at prom? The ones who do are losers whose best memory in 20+ years was the prom; how sad.

• Just because, @Omar5881, You are Dateless, Doesn't Mean you Are... Friendless.
    When I Went to the prom with a Date who wasn't a Mate, I would See many Guys just Hanging in a Circle, Who would Go and Enjoy and Mingle and Just for Fun... With Everyone.
    It IS your Prom, it will Never come Around Town again, so Think about it and Maybe you can Set up Something even With a Special girl Who is a Friend.
    Good luck. xx

• What's making me thinking of it is that it won't happen again

• You are right, it won't.. Nor will any pictures.. xx

• I think you should still go! You'll be bummed if you don't. Go with a group of friends and you can all have fun getting dressed up, having a nice meal, and going out together :D

• I didn't go to my prom, although I decided to go to a different dance since more friends went to that one. It's not a big deal if you didn't go. On the plus side, you saved money on either renting a tux, or buying nice clothes and didn't have to buy tickets.

• Well the money isn't really a problem to me tho , just my friends say just come so you won't miss it , but I don't think I will miss anything , won't I?

• Well, for Homecoming one year I didn't want a date, and went with a bunch of female friends. We had a lot of fun, dancing and talking. Before that, we all went to this nice restaurant. So it's up to you, if you really do want to go, both to sate your curiosity and to say you went you can. You can hang out with friends. But if you really don't want to, there's nothing wrong with that.

• There are a lot of people that don't have dates for prom so I don't see that as a good reason. However, if you don't have friends that you want to go and have fun with, then I think you're okay not going. However, you won't get the chance again so you've really got nothing to lose by going, do you?

• You can take me? ;) LOL

It is okay not to go. Most people i have known didn't bother going to their prom , and the ones that did go said it wasn't as good as they though it would be :)

• It's fun when you're going with someone, be it a date or a friend, but going alone would be boring.

• Nooo gooo it's super cool!!! Doesn't always happen, I didn't have a prom date neither but I went with my girls and had the time of my life 💃🏻

• I'd go anyway if I was you. I don't think anyone should miss prom and this is coming from a girl who had no friends in high school and made 0 effort to get any, who's then fiance (now husband) was 21 so I had to fight for him to be able to go and I had a baby who was a few months old at home with my mom... it was awful but something I feel every teen should do. I'd make my kids go. You should go. A lot of under class man would love to go to prom anyways why not ask one of them?

• Mine was lame af nothing special. Trust me you aren't missing much. i did like the dressing up looking like a queen though and free dessert.. that's it.

• I never went to prom. Didn't get invited. So I'm not sure what you'll miss but life does go on lol

• It might've just been my experience but prom was super lame. I wish I went single and just hung out with my friends. I liked dressing up and eating desserts but that was it.

• Tbh I went to all my friends proms in the previous years and, when my time came, I wasn't that excited to go since I've experienced my friends proms before and it was always the same thing.. so yeah, in the end I decided to save the money xD

• yes 100% fine if you don't go. I went to mine and it was boring as hell. :(

• Prom was fun honestly, I went with one of my guy friends but it's not all glamorous like it's cracked up to be. Fun... yes, will you be missing out on something major, no.

• Yeah it's okay I'm not going either. However just because you don't have a date doesn't mean you shouldn't go and as long as you have buds if you're really want to I think you should it only happens once.

Before you say but you're not going... I'm in school but I don't go to school.

• It's fine.

Just go to a fancy restaurant, or bowling or something with a group of friends. That would be much more fun than prom.

• I don't think going to prom is that big a deal. I'm not planning going to mine for the same reasons as you.

• Don't go if you're not going with someone there really is no point.
    It will just make you feel bad about yourself when see other people happy.

• Well it's not really a problem actually I don't have a girl coz I don't want to , I mean is it just about having a prom date

• That's pretty much the whole point

• Yeah, I probably won't be going either even though I have many people I could attend with I'd rather just go to a museum or something along those lines.

• it's fine if you don't go
    prom is just another party - just way more expensive
    results are mixed - some people enjoy, some people don't
    you can always have a party with your friends outside of school

• If you don't have a date, just go with your guy friends. If no friends, then stay home rather than feeling like s*hit at the prom lol.

• i didn't go to prom when was young only once maybe.. and it was boring as hell. my advice is you don't have to go :/

• It's okay, just go and have fun.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 11

• I skipped prom myself. If you really want to go and you can afford to, then go. If you have someone to go with and they are willing to go there with you, then go.

Otherwise, forget about it. There are NO absolutes on this as to whether it is Absolutely OK that you did not go to the prom, or that it is Absolutely NOT OK that you did not go to the prom.

It's entirely up to you to decide on what it is that you are exactly willing to do.

• It's okie and it's dokie
    Cuz proms are kinda hokey
    But regret, you may yet show it
    For choosing to forego it

• I didn't go either. I regret it.
    Why miss an experience that you won't have the opportunity to go through ever again?

• You won't miss anything prom is boring as f uk.

• Nothing's wrong with goin,... Grab a drink N chill by urself... N just watch N observe, N u can leave when it gets boring or whatever

• I never went xD It was overated haha

• You don't have to if you don't want to. I personally didn't go because our prom consists of dinner and loud music dancing which was not something I would enjoy. Also, I don't see the point of wasting money on an event I don't enjoy and none of my friends are going.

• Can't tell. I've never been to a prom party. We don't even do those in my country.

• Yes, I didn't go to mine and don't regret it a bit.

• Yeah, it's alright. I didn't bother going to prom when I was in high school. I also didn't bother to go to my graduation fair when I got my first degree..

• so you're a friendless loser? cool.