How can I forgive my dead mother for overdosing?

I'm just so mad. I'm not the kind of person to look down on anyone for overdosing. But now that I found out my mom overdosed on cocaine I'm finding it impossible to forgive her. I feel like a lowlife myself because I now can't see her as anything but a worthless dope head and myself just a junkies child. Has this happened to you and how do you move on? My grief is now so much worse and complicated between heartbreak, betrayal and hate.

What Guys Said 2

• You shouldn't forgive her. She valued cocaine more than family and you know it. You can move on though.

• You are not defined by your mothers' actions, but your own actions. Let her death serve as a reminder to you that is a path you must never allow yourself to go down. Stay on the true and narrow path.

What Girls Said 1

• You don't necessarily need to forgive her. You need to try to accept her for the person she was - "a drug addict" She obviously had many underlying issues and probably unresolved issues form her past which you are unaware of.

Some people are emotionally weak and don't know how to deal with that, so turn to substance abuse for a crutch in the hope it will mask their pain. Even if it is for a short while. I am not making excuses for you mum or condoning her behaviour, but if you can find out the reasons for her lifestyle then maybe you will accept her for what she was , so you can move on from the pain that she has caused you

You had absolutely no control over your childhood or the environment which you lived in , but you can gain control over your life now. Your mother destroyed her own life so don't allow her to destroy yours too. Take that control away form her by being happy now despite who your mother was or what she was.