Do you have to take notes when you read?

It's so boring to take notes. But then I wonder if you can't just get away with highlighting something, you have to actuallyt ake notes.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends. You can't really remember highlighted parts. It will only be there when you need a refresher rather. What important is your ability to comprehend what you are studying. You tend to remember what you figured out rather than the quote of something.

Taking notes is like trying to interpret what you read in your own words which is some sort of comprehension. Also, trying to answer the questions that you managed to come up with is also a form of comprehension.

Take math for example. I can't remember much about calculus but I remember a derivative means "rate of change". So it tells me where stuff are going and how fast. I can't remember any formula but I can figure something out because I managed to comprehend that one single part.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the person and how they learn. figure out what works best for you.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't have a perfect memory, so I often need to take notes. Even when just reading a novel, I sometimes forget important things. Notes are helpful.

• I have never in my life annotated, highlighted, or taken notes when I read, unless the notes are part of the homework or something. Even when annotating was the homework, I still wouldn't do it. I hate it... I can barely comprehend the book if I'm continuously thinking "let's see what would be something important to write down... hmm..."

• Yeah I meant for studying. Everyone else takes notes I feel confused

• Homework = studying for me.
      I never just read through my book and take notes. I DO take notes in class sometimes, but I barely write anything down.

• Funny you should ask this question.
    I recently realized I was highlighting 85% of the page. I decided it would be easier to highlight the info that I felt wasn't important.

What Girls Said 6

• I must take notes if I want to absorb the information.

• In school/college yeah. If I'm just reading a novel for my enjoyment, no, don't really need to take notes for that lol

• Even if I took notes and highlighted anything in a book. None of that will help me in understanding the whole thing. That's the part that sucks when having a learning disorder. :(

• High lighting IS taking notes 😊 Haha

• for university stuff, yeah. I get distracted really easily, so i need it haha

• Yeah, it's better to do that.