How to protect yourself?

- I live on a college campus, and often walk around alone at night
- There's been a guy that's been sending me harassing texts, not severe enough to be illegal, but still seriously scaring me
- What are some ways that I can protect myself, if necessary?

How to protect yourself?
I saw this on Amazon, and was wondering whether it would be legal to carry one around in Canada?

Most Helpful Guy

• that kind of weapon draws some attention to you, and I would not advice to walk around with it just like that.. it's a bit intimidating, which might be the point, but I don't think it's either comfortable for you, or appropriate.

One very similar thing that I do and use (although not being necessary... but it just looks cool) is to put the house keys between my fingers, and holding the keyring tightly in my hand. Imagine wolverine and you the the idea. Just make sure the the sharp edge is pointed away from your hand, otherwise you could easily cut your inter-digital membranes. Now imagine punching someone in the face with that :o makes some damage

It's just a nice little trick that doesn't draw that much attention to you... just don't lose your keys in the process though.. maybe buy some unused keys just for that purpose...

Most Helpful Girl

• That kind of weapon is not legal in Canada and you can be charged with possession of a prohibited weapon if you're caught with it. You may not even be able to import it as the CBSA border officers often Xray packages from Amazon to see what's inside.

Pepper spray, mace, and tasers are also illegal in Canada, so ignore the answers that suggest them. A set of keys between your fingers work pretty well in place of these things.

One good way to protect yourself on campus is to learn some basic self defense moves or martial arts. Your school may even have a program where student volunteers will walk around campus with you at night, and even go off campus with you for a certain distance. My school had this program, and you could call them or go to their office, and they would send two students out to accompany you - one male and one female. It's also a great way to meet new people! Ask your school administration if they have something similar.

Another thing you should do is try NOT to walk alone at night in dark place. Try to walk only in very well lit places.

• That small thing is illegal in Canada? That is a really backwards country. There's nothing wrong with walking alone at night, as long as you a gun if you feel threatened.

• @ShayanMortazavi1 I already know you hate Canada so there's really no point in even leaving a comment.

What Guys Said 12

• I know a lot of people have already said it, but pepper spray or a taser. If you have any guy friends there, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask one of them if they'd mind walking you back to your dorm each night.

When I was in college, my Knights of Columbus council actually had an "on call" program that was for that very reason: to walk girls back to their dorms when it was late at night. We didn't really have to use it much though because the campus was smaller then, fairly well-lit, and had a lot of very trustworthy and honorable guys. They also have strict visitation hours, so if a guy was in a girl's dorm or vice versa, there was conveniently an escort available.

• Those are illegal in Canada, seen them confiscated on "Boarder Security". Not sure about other self defense items. Call your local police and ask them what is allowed and go from there. Common sense goes along way. Walk in well lit areas. If there are none, then say home! If you are on campus, then there should be security personal there that may be able to escort you. Some campuses have like a neighbor watch thing where students will volunteer to walk with you for safety.

• No offense, but chances are that you are going to be smaller, and weaker than a male attacker so you'd want to use something that has a little bit of range.

I'd recommend going to a police office or a security building and talking to one of the officers there about what would be ideal for your to use AND what is and isn't legal for you to carry.

Obviously something like MACE/pepper spray is a great thing to carry with you because you don't need to actually engage with an attacker and it won't leave serious damage to them. Another topic pick would be a handheld taser because its almost guaranteed to work and again doesn't leave long lasting damage.

I live in America and I know that there are restrictions on carrying and using both items so I'd imagine there would be similar limits in Canada. You should absolutely talk to a professional at your college and get specific ideas on what you can and can not do on campus.

You might not like to hear this, but honestly, one of the best thing for you to do is join a track club or look into conditioning centers. If you took a few speed and power lessons, like agility courses for athletes, you'd be set because you'd be able to escape a situation with out needing to fight or carry a weapon.

Finally my best piece of advice is to join a karate/tae kwon do/ju jitsu/martial arts program and learn self defense. Karate or Tae Kwon Do would be best for you to learn striking and Ju Jitsu would be best if you want to learn throws and grappling techniques.

What ever you decide to do though, make sure its legal ya. :)

• learn muay thai. learn brazilian jui jitsu

• Pepper spray, Tear gas, try stabbing him in the eye with your finger, learn some simple but effective martial arts moves online.

• Ideally you wouldn't be walking around alone at night, forgetting that. Take some classes of martial arts, get a panic alarm. create your. own type of pepper spray and keep it as a perfume. Just don't confuse it. Carry a pen and a lighter too.

• Move to the US and buy a gun

• Unless you have actual hand in hand combat knowledge/practice then go for pepper spray I'd say.

• I'm no jurist, but it seems to be totally legal. Maybe aquire some pepper spray.

• Ak47

• no it isn't im here and its 4 dollars probably shit quality, get a gun like me, i dont trust the cops to defend me i defend myself

• These kinda scum are called Stalkers. They sometimes even leave the girl in trauma.
    Its sad that they ruin the good guys' image.

What Girls Said 4

• As people have said here, go for pepper spray or a taser. And, by the way, any texts that make you feel unsafe can be classed as harassment. The victim decides what constitutes harassment, not the perpetrator or the police.
    Where I live, my only defence when walking at night is my car keys between my fingers, so if I hit someone it'll hurt like a bitch. We can't carry anything at all that could be classed as a weapon.

• I think a bottle of pepper spray would work better actually. You don't have to make physical contact to make it work.

• Buy a shotgun!

• Buy pepper spray. Also is that thing a knife? Also try walking in a well lit area.

I'd carry something else if so.