In your own words, what is socialism, and why is it bad for America?

Socialism seems to have quite a negative connotation here in the USA.

But how would you personally define Socialism? and furthermore why is it so bad for America?

Most Helpful Guy

• Socialism is a political mechanism that attempts to move an entire society forward together by redistributing some of the wealth creating by the society as a whole to help patch holes in the system. Society benefits if the population all goes to public school. An educated society is a more useful society. Imagine the state of the US if people making less than 40,000 a year didn't have a school to send their kids to. Public schools is a socialist idea. Private tutors for the rich is the capitalist solution. As the US allows the oligarchies more and more control, you are seeing the weakening of public schools and the proliferation of private schools for the rich, which is quite literally building a 'ruling class' and a 'worker class' right under their noses.

Right now, the system in the US already redistributes wealth on a massive scale, it's just that most of it goes to large corporations and the extremely wealthy in the form of subsidies and tax breaks. Basically right now in the US, the system is 'take from the poor, give to the rich'. But they have a few loud things like "Obamacare" to yell about that obfuscates what's really happening. The US is currently fueled by oligarchies, which is one of the worst ways to run a country. But because they control all of the power, and all of the voice, they are managing to convince the working poor and under-educated vote for their own exploitation.

Do you think it's better to have educated children be part of your society? Or uneducated children who then can't get work and have no means of survival except crime. And do you think that having a police force is a good idea? Or should the rich just have private security forces and leave the rest to fend for themselves? Do you want there to be an American army, whose responsibility is the American people, as a collective whole? Or should the military be private, and only work to further the interests of the rich (you could argue that this is already the case actually).

A properly organized social democracy moves it society forward together. Which is why most of the countries with the highest standards of living and personal happiness ratings are countries with a strong element of social democracy in their organizational structure. Anyone who things that having an oligarchy will result in a happy, vibrant working class really needs to study history. And economics, actually.

• Do you believe it has 'never brought any country out of poverty.'

• Depends on the specific type of socialism. Done right, democratic socialism can lift a country out of poverty, absolutely. An oligarchy in control of a government will drive the country into extreme poverty, which is what you are seeing with the rich-poor gap in the US right now. More wealth than ever before in the history of the country, and poverty growing at an alarming rate. And it's going to get much, much worse.

What Girls Said 5

• Socialism on its face sounds great. "Equality for all. The government making sure everyone is equally provided for, the government making all the tough decisions for you so you can just live peacefully etc."
    But when you look deeper that creates huge problems.
    First off, for this to work you have to be guaranteed that the "government" is honest and has your best interest in mind all the time. Now I don't know about you but the thought of honest and virtuous politicians is pretty hilarious to me.
    Secondly, this idea that things CAN be equal is ridiculous. Life will never be equal, life will never be fair. Rather than making people equal socialism is just giving the power to the government to choose who they think the winners and losers should be.
    Thirdly, I don't want someone making the decisions for me. An example of this is things like common core being implemented. I homeschool my kids. They are way ahead academically because of this. Common core is a complete disaster. But under socialism I lose the right to educate my kids how I want. People also don't thrive and work hard and grow when they can't make decisions and see the benefits for themselves. Like the perpetual child.
    Lastly, what's good for Bob in San Fransisco isn't good for Mary in Montana. People have different needs and wants and beliefs. They should be free to live as they feel is correct.

• Very terrible system that has never brought any country out of poverty. Even the socialist economies in the EU are about to collapse soon.

Oh well.

• How would you define it though?

• Soooo that means you're a Trump supporter

• Point being? I knew you were a Bernie fan but never mentioned.

• No sure why it would be bad.. Bad for big business and monopolies maybe.
    Capitalism run amuck isn't good for America either.

• What I believe is irrelevant.

• That said, what I see in America is a desperate need for "leveling of playing field".
      The kind that only some social programs can provide.
      We here in US don't like the world Socialism but most definitely enjoy the programs. IE. SOCIAL security, Medicare, etc.
      Masses often are scared into voting against their own best interest.
      Fear can be a great manipulator!

• Honestly I'm not really sure what socialism is. Though I'm now I'm checking what it is myself. :D

• Socialism is meth and Americans are highschool student at a party. The smart ones leave it alone

• Why is it bad for america?

• No they worked for it

• not everybody... there are those who are born into wealth. isn't that unfair?

What Guys Said 11

• I'm more comfortable with the theoretical idea of socialism than capitalism. If any government expects me to abide by their rules in a place that I was simply born in and didn't ask to move to (and shouldn't be asked to leave from), then I expect said government to take care of all my needs from stem to stern. Or we can just not do the whole government thing and go savage. One or the other, nothing in the middle. But the capitalist ideal of "every man for themselves", "sink or swim", "keep up or be left behind" is quite literally the opposite of "society", so you can't have that kind of system and then claim it to be any semblance of proper society. I don't know how you make it all work, but I'll leave that to smarter folks than myself to figure out. Capitalism could be alright, my problem is just the creation of classes, or more accurately, the disparity between them. There is no sane reason you can give me for why anyone who works full time, regardless of occupation, to be struggling for money. They change and enforce interest rates and whatnot whenever they see fit... they can't just be like the US dollar is worth x-amount, and everybody makes at least this much, and then you just say to businesses "it's not legal to charge more than (whatever) for (insert item)." Maybe that fucks with competition, but whatever, figure it out, economists. Just make one big superstore with everything we could possibly need and set prices and do away with concepts like inflation. There doesn't have to be inflation if your economic system doesn't allow for it, right? I don't know, I took macro and micro in college, forgot most of it, and I was never an expert. Maybe my proposed solutions don't solve the problem, but some wise mind out there can. I just know that whatever this is now isn't working out.

• Actually things like forced minimum wage cause more inflation.

• Inflation is created by central banks. They have a target of 2% inflation for some reason that I can't begin to comprehend.

• @BelleGirl21 @TheOldMan59 Gahhhh, why does EVEYTHING cause inflation?😖 That's it... I'm back on the barter system. I better go learn how to do something useful, haha...

• There is no fixed definition. I don't use any fixed definition myself either, although I'm somewhat more restrictive than some people. Some people use the term very broadly.

Anyway, at the core of socialism is about the ownership of production. It's about public ownership and control. In a more loose definition, it can be about the sharing of profits even if it's not publicly owned. I don't consider that socialism myself. As a matter of fact that fits capitalism more than socialism.

It depends a lot on the scale. A small group of people living in a commune is very different than it could be at a large national scale. At a national scale I don't see any way it can be socialism without government control. That's one of the main reasons why it is so bad. It depends on a government that can't tie it's own shoe laces without screwing it up and costing twice as much as it should.

The reasons it's so bad are:
    1) As stated, it depends on the government.
    2) It takes away people's freedom. I consider starting my own business and running it how I want a natural right.
    3) On the opposing side is capitalism, which has been shown to work, and work very very well. Anyone reading this is reading it only because of capitalism. On the other hand, socialism has never been shown to work except on a small scale.
    4) Socialism doesn't have the profit motive. There is no incentive to take risks and be innovative.
    5) Small scale socialism fits just fine within capitalism, with no conflict whatsoever. Capitalism is about freedom, which includes the freedom of socialism, as long as it's not government imposed.
    6) Last but not least. Socialism takes away the motive for people to work hard and produce. It rewards people for being lazy and unproductive. It rewards people for being complacent and unmotivated. At the same time it penalizes people for hard work, production and innovation.

• Socialism gives too much power to the government. Though the idea of having the basic necessities like education and health free sounds great, you need a great government to run it.
    I'm gonna use my home country as an example: Before and during the first years of this last recession, we had a socialist government. We got screwed. We were one of the worst countries in Europe during the recession. We needed other countries to help us out of the mess the government put us in.
    When that government left because the people asked for it, a new government from the right wing, came in, but obviously Spain still was socialist, like the rest of Europe.
    What was the first things the government cut its budgets for? Yes, education and healthcare. Two basic needs for a country to thrive, but since that's run by the government, they had to cut it. Obviously they didn't reduce the wages of government officials.

So yeah, a socialist country needs of a great government, one that's not filled with corrupt people that rather fill their pockets than give their people a good education and health.
    I like the ideas of having free healthcare and free education, but if the quality is gonna suck, or if they're gonna make us wait months or years to get a new organ, I'd rather it stays private. That's why people with more money go private in socialist countries, because they know the quality is better.

I do think you gotta give low-income people the chance of getting it free, that's why I support Bernie, because he wants that, but he won't be able to get everything he wants since congress isn't gonna pass every law.

• Most people in the US have been raised to revere the whole indivualistic-capitalistic "American dream" notion, and eschew socialistic concepts, despite how successful they are in some European countries for example.
    There is a list of countries that don't have to deal with social ills created by huge income inequality like the US is faced with.

• Socialism is when the government provides for the common good through taxes for things that benefit everybody. Public schools, fire department, police departments, public roads and water systems and libraries are just a few examples. The US was plenty socialist in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s and fought two wars, built the Interstate Highway System, put men on the moon and created the Civil Rights Act while still being the largest creditor nation on earth. Then "the private sector" was supposed to replace that and make us all better off with "trickle-down economics" but that didn't work too well because the top layer is a sponge.

• What type are we talking about democratic or regular socialism?
    I'll define both and explain why the both wouldn't work.

Socialism - a system in which the state controls the means of production and focuses on social welfare
    Democratic socialism - a form of quasi-socialism which allows capitalism as well as democracy while still greatly focusing on social welfare

Socialism won't work because the government is really bad at managing the economy and it creates a dependency on the state.

Democratic socialism won't work because it has the word socialist in it so people will confuse it with the former, there is a high tax rate and it requires an altruistic culture to flourish while the US is very individualistic.

• The US has always espoused the idea of the land where anyone can make it – but with the subtext that you do so on your own.

This makes socialism a dirty word, since it means you don’t sink or swim, there’s actually a safety net if you really need it. This goes against the ideals of ‘freedom’ and ‘no government interference’ as some understand it.

Plus, lest we forget, pinkos.

• It's not like HORRIBLE but it's not good for society

• Socialism basically means that the government provides for the needs of society such as food, healthcare and housing. So basically what you have in America now.

• Socialism is just patriotism in action.

• Inb4 "commie marxist Jew bullshit".