"Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people." Do you believe this?

These are the words of German Jewish poet Heinrich Heine in his play Almansor in 1820-1821.

The were prophetic since just over a century later the nazi's would be burning books... and ultimately people.

Do you think this is true? When cultures or nations have 'book burnings' they will ultimately start burning people?

Most Helpful Girl

• Burning books will be like burning knowledge (Ideas yes that is also involved too) Burning people? If they wanted to burn people they would.. I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue with doing that.. Which is a horrific image to imagine 😐

• Since you're cambodian it makes me think of the Khmer rouge which targeted intellectuals. thats like killing. it's like killing books and people at the same time :|

• Yeah I remember the glasses one. They would just assume you're intelligent, and target you just because you've got glasses on.

• Thank you for MH toto :)

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not 1:1 true, of course, but I think it's a fairly accurate generalization.

Governments that are so afraid of information that they'll burn books are usually not shy about "disposing" of people who have problematic information either. They may not literally burn them, but they will execute them. There are probably at least a dozen governments on the planet today that do both things regularly.

What Girls Said 9

• Ehh, possibly. When people burn books, it's like a symbolic way of showing that they have the power to erase a culture or erase parts of history, it's a way to at least further a type of oppression and with that comes great injustice. So it's not unlikely that that'd happen.

• Since burning books is a way to keep them controlled, I think killing some people wouldn't mean too much at the end of the day. Like @takumii said, it's about burning ideas, going against everything that is not with them.

So I agree.

• I actually think Book burning is way worse than flag burning. You didn't bring up the topics of flag's as well but i just had to add that bit. But I agree with @aledeeurope for once lol

• Hmm... possibly. If those individuals that hold the knowledge and values of the books were still around, who's to say the angry mass wouldn't turn on them to silence them?

• No, but there will be war and destruction for sure
    en.m.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_book-burning_incidents

• mmhmm i think thats ultimately what he's getting at too

• I guess it's true in a sense. They burn books to get rid of written rules, traditions, history etc. But what happens to the people who still hold that knowledge in their minds? They become liabilities.

• Absolutely because they burn books to shut down ideas, memories etc. But they can't get rid of those thoughts completely without weeding out the people who hold them.

• I guess...
    When you burn books you re wiping off history, theories etc...
    Making the civilisation's past non existamt. Therefore it becomes wasily influencable.

• no. is that your only example?

• Well whats your example? and maybe ill give you another

• "many more oppressors just attacked/killed wuth out during books or anything beforehand "

such as?

• I'm not saying it will happen every-time... but it just isn't surprising, nor out of place to see a society eventually killing its own people after burning their own books. It's a society that seeks control

What Guys Said 8

• Don't know about other people but their own societies will burn. Another book on this subject is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. 451°F is the temperature that paper burns

• There's some truth in that. Cultures/countries that burn books are basically against freedom, and will try to do whatever it takes to keep their people in line, so most likely they'll end up killing those that are against the culture/country.

• Here's a feminist burning a book she doesn't like. www.theblaze.com/.../Book-Burning-11.jpg

I guess feminazis will be burning people soon.

• I think it's true, it is an extreme 'us vs them' that could easily escalate into attacking people who aren't part of your group.

• Burning is irrelevant here.
    Burning books means burning ideas.
    I am sure they would have no problem buring people who have similar ideas.

• I think information is much more controlled today, maybe burning books wouldn't be necessary today? Most people would rather watch a tv show than read a book

• Nope. Books can't scream

• The KKK actually burned people. I don't know if they actually burned books.