Should I help someone being attacked?

Often at night I hear people fighting or someone screaming/shouting outside and sometimes I hear people talking about really edgy stuff like this one time I was trying to sleep it was about 1 am and I heard some guys talking about whether they "finished him off or not" and it worries me.. There was a time once where there was some guy who had been beaten up by this other guy it was unclear who started it but I attempted to intervene and got shouted at by one of the guys which made me realise that it's not my fight but I feel bad that I could do something to stop all the things that happen at night but I don't because 1. I'm scared of getting shot and 2. I may misunderstand a situation... What do y'all think I should do next time? Go outside with a bat or stay inside and continue with my own stuff... I don't know if this is a question I'm allowed to ask on here but if you have some advice please let me know what you think...

Thank you for all of your advices people.. I appreciate it and I will be making anonymous tips in the future..

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't go and get involved. As you said, you don't know the situation, and you will be putting yourself in danger.
    A better idea is to call the police, and let the dispatcher know what you can hear and the location. They can send a patrol by to check it out.

• Sorry ma'am although I understand your logic I'm not sure that it would be the wisest thing to do.. Due to the "snitches get stiches" rule... I shouldn't have posted this since there doesn't seem to be any other possible way to deal with these situations... :(

• You remain anonymous during these kinds of scenarios, in almost all cases. You can give an anonymous tip, or do nothing. Your choice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Call the police or become a vigilante

• You sir have a good idea... I would become a vigilante but the suit I was building isn't going to work out since its heavy my dad said all they'd have to do is pour gas on me then I'm screwed 😟 good idea though xD

• Iron man suit bro

• Haha yeah bro 😝 I could probably buy a mini fire extinguisher attachment xP

What Girls Said 2

• Call the police and tell them you can hear an altercation insuing. Don't go outside. You'll be risking getting yourself involved and possibly hurt.

• Can you call the police?

• Sorry ma'am I don't mean to be disrespectful but that will only get me into a situation where I'll be seen as a snitch and most likely get stabbed.. They always know who did it

• I thought maybe you had a reason like that because it seems like obvious advice :(

As heartless as maybe this seems, unless you can go to the police and be guranteed protection from them, I say put your own safety first.

What Guys Said 2

• We are taught in EMS to stay away until they are done attacking. However if you are trained in combatives then go in and save them. I personally am, and it is a great alternative to being a weakling. The point is to end the fight quickly and with as little injury if possible. But if its out of you abilities currently do everything you can to prep to treat trauma or save someones life.

• Just call the cops. They get paid to deal with that shit.