Were you taught in school that Abraham Lincoln was "The Great Emancipator" who was the champion of equal rights for all people?

Were you taught in school that Abraham Lincoln was I believe that what we are taught in pubic schools about American History reflects a political agenda. It is ignorant to think that history cannot be told in a biased manner and naive to think that the education establisment would not have any political motives.

What we were taught about Abraham Lincoln is a great example of this bias. Do you believe that lincoln was The Great Emancipator? If so, why do you believe that?

• The history I was taught in school was accurate and unbiased. Lincoln was The Great Emancipator.
  • The history I was taught in school was inaccurate and biased. Lincoln was not the champion of equal rights for all people.
  • I don't know whether I should believe what I was taught in school.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was taught that, along with many other "historical" things that are complete misrepresentations of reality.

It only gets worse in college, and not just in regard to "history". Many of these so called "academics" are so liberally biased, I have to wear my rain boots to class to sludge through the BULLSHIT.

What Girls Said 10

• Being the fact Abraham Lincoln and the Civil war's history is pretty big in my town, I think what I was taught is pretty accurate.

• And were you taught that Lincoln was the champion of equal rights for all people?

• Not exactly. He was a guy who stood up and recited a 4 minute speech

• The information we were given may have been incomplete, or possibly biased. But that doesn't mean there was no truth to any part of it. History is always complicated.

• I was taught he was the black slave's savior.
    In that time, absolutely he was. Would a black slave like everything he thought regarding race and living situations, no. I think he was awesome for doing what he did in that moment. The emancipation proclamation helped end at least one age of horror black people lived through in America.

• I'd say that most of us are more complex that what the history books will say about us.

• No, but to be honest I never learned much about Lincoln or the Civil War Era in general when I was in school. Canadian History was the only compulsory credit we had to take in high school. Later on in HS, I focused more on Old World history/ancient history.

I'm curious to see what is in this province's curriculum for the American History class. I'll look it up and I'll let you know what they teach about Lincoln here.

• I mean, I think it depends on the level of education. I took History into my last years of high school (UK equivalent of senior year, I think), so what we learnt was a lot more advanced. Even though I did not study Lincoln, in my class I was encouraged to think more critically about the actions of historical figures to form my own argument. This involved comparing and contrasting different sources to form an overall opinion, someone which isn't as prevalent in the teaching of younger students, who are basically just spoon-fed information without really forming their own opinion. So I think it all depends on the level at which one is taught.

• For the record: I don't think Lincoln deserves that title, he didn't abolish slavery to emancipate the slaves, his motivations were not philanthropic.

• Nope, we didn't really do any American history in school.

• As I understand, he indirectly freed the slaves but then I find this new information online this theory that he himself was black. So I'm never sure what I'm getting is a straight story.

• My school taught me squat. Therefore, I remember nothing.

• a lot of "white" history is biased in general. Like the romans are credited for all these innocative things that they took from the middle east, and northern africa , like medicines, religion.. etc and they minipulated for their own agenda. All the greates in world history come from Europe , which is really funny to be honest.

• So what were you taught about Mr. Lincoln?

• that he cared about the lives of slaves and was a hero. When really as a adult i find out it was a political thing not a moral thing. It was to quiet the credicts and foreign dissapproval of it.

• Exactly! That is an example of how our education system is used to teach us a "politically correct" and sanitized version of the truth.

What Guys Said 18

• Yes... History was written by the victors, and of course it all contains a political agenda tainted towards the view of the writer or the way they wished the audience to observe.
    When dealing with a society of easily programmable monkeys... It's all about what you want them to believe to be truth... And if you teach things as fact, most humans will accept it unquestionably as fact, further, they will repeat it to others as fact... Proof of this is all major religions across the world. Yes, it's all one giant program (s) with an agenda.

• I was never taught that. As a matter of fact we were not taught much about any of the presidents, which is how it should be in my opinion. There was a heck of a lot going on in history at that time, and realistically Lincoln was only a small part of it.

To this day I've never heard him called the Great Emancipator. I've never heard that term before.

• What state do you live in?

• @Righttobeararms83 Do you mean Lee Harvey Oswald? It is not nice to insult other people about your perception of their education.

• Nice catch. Im glad someone knows their own history

• I vote that what I was taught was inaccurate.
    But I wanted to clarify that this doesn't mean he wasn't a great president, nor a great man. Just that the schools didn't tell us the whole story. A story I learned later in life.

• considering that it was his action, whether it was the primary reason for the civil war or not is not really relevant, freed slaves and emancipate means "to set free"... sure i don't see why we can't call him the great emancipator and have it be accurate to an extent

• He did free the slaves but I get a feeling that what Americans are taught in school is an attempt tie the civil war up in a bow and make it more digestible saying it was fought over slavery when it was more to do with whether citizens of States had the right and freedom to secede from the Union. I dont think Lincoln was against Slavery 100% because he cared about immorality of slavery and for the slaves but more the economic effect slavery has on a country like in the south were a bunch of slave owners owned all the land and lived like the aristocrats of Europe while poor white folks were forced out as they could not compete with slave owners and could not find work. Lincoln's own father was forced to move from Slave owning States for this reason. There would be no America if Slavery had continued.

• the civil war WAS fought over slavery. the supposed right to secession was ancillary. if you read any of the declarations of secession, their central messages are primarily in defense of slavery.

the fact of the matter is that Lincoln was only interested in stopping the spread of slavery into new states, but the slave holding states still viewed that as a threat to their institution regardless, so they started a war to preserve slavery. the north's stance on slavery was immaterial. they were attacked and forced to either admit impotence by not responding, or to engage the confederacy.

• Shitty news man

• @Dandeus
      @asker your 100% in what your saying. Sorry to hear about your friend.

• Lincoln was passionately opposed to slavery. That is beyond dispute. As a very young man he hired out on a flat boat that was taking goods down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers to the port of New Orleans. Lincoln had never seen slavery first hand until then. He saw slaves on the auction block and it deeply affected him. But years later when he'd been elected he also said that if he could have preserved the Union without freeing a single slave he would have done so. Once the war turned as brutal and bloody as it did, though, he wanted the bloody cost of the war to have been for a noble cause. And the edict freeing the slaves in those states that were in rebellion was also a war time tactic. Lincoln was troubled by what would become of the freed slaves after the war. He didn't truly believe that the races were equal and wondered if the freedmen and whites could live in equality together. But it's probably wrong to judge him by the standards of our own time.

• I'd think so, but of all the presidents before him, he was the one to most actively play a part in abolishing slavery. Whatever his personal views were, is not really my concern, I just adopt the good from people.

• History should have been taught as what really happened as a sequence of events and not as a fork lore. Sure it will be boring that way but at least it'll be more accurate.

• History is written by the victor, and history is filled with liars... one of my term papers at college was how Lincoln today would be a tyrant the USA would be fighting.

• Didn't he kill vampires or some shit

• He did free the slaves.

• no shit
    1- history gets told by the victor
    2- history gets distorted over time and secondary and tertiary accounts aren't always accurate
    3- what we are told in school is fairly accurate from the standpoint of what we know about the individual.

• I learned that he was built in a log cabin he built with his own hands!

• My history teachers were greatly unbiased. They did make it clear though that he held himself together through a tough presidency. Although his priority was not emancipation. It was keeping the Union.

• That sounds more accurate than what many people have been taught.

• Many were taught that the Civil War was fought entirely over the issue of slavery and that Lincoln was the champion of freeing slaves from the outset. All of that is wrong.

• LOLOLOL I seriously doubt (and hope) the textbooks don't say that.

• The history I was taught was accurate. He *was* the great emancipator, but that doesn't mean what you're claiming it means. Your perception of what people are taught is flawed.

• My perception of something I have experienced is wrong but your perception of me, who you have never met, is correct. Interesting claim. Tell me what my perception is.

• Lincoln and the civil war are one of the most well documented and heavily discussed topics in American history, a topic I've paid close attention to for years.

I've seen people mistakenly believe that Lincoln started the war to free slaves (he didn't even start the war, the South did), but I've never once heard a single person claim that Lincoln was "a champion of equal rights for all people."

If you've heard a person make such a claim, it's been infrequent enough that no reasonable person would assume that it was being taught at large to students in public schools as a matter of policy, but is rather that individual's own misperception.

• I was just taught he was some American president i didn't do much learning at school

• I'm glad I studied much about American History while I was studying outside of the USA.
    Mostly unbiased and even the teacher wasn't American.

There was like 1 page or so about Lincoln and that was it.

• I don't remember exactly what I was told but I believe he wasn't totally in favor of freeing the slaves. He indirectly freed the salves is what I think I was told.