I have to go to court tomorrow; do I have to get dressed up?

I got in trouble for prescriptions pills, a misdemeanor, and tomorow will be my first time in court. I'm so nervous.. do i have to get dressed up lol? I don't know anything about going to court so please help me..

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to wear an OJ Simpson throwback jersey to my court dates in my 20s, to show my disdain for the system and openly mock the court, haha. In short: don't do that. Oddly enough though, the last time I went to court, I dressed nice, because I'm in my 30s now and realized that as much as I hate the system, it's not proving anything by showing up and acting a donkey, and I had a weird circumstance I hoped the judge would understand. Oddly enough, the judge could not have been more of dickhead to me, over inadvertently driving without insurance, due to a mistake by my insurance company, after he had just finished being unbelievably cordial to some thug ass kids who were arraigned just before me for breaking and entering charges. I was astounded, haha. He asked me if I had proof of insurance now, and I said yes, but it was in my car. He's like "you didn't bring proof of insurance? Are you serious?" and I'm like "well, I was arrested for this like three months ago. Whether or not I have insurance today isn't really relevant, I thought I was in trouble for not having it at the time I was arrested", which to this day makes all the sense in the world to me. He shook his head and told me to go get it, and the charges were dropped because I was able to come up with it that day. I still have no idea why that absolves me of committing the crime, however inadvertent. That's like if the judge asks you if you have any prescription pills ON YOU when you show up to court, you say no, and they're like "great, not guilty, case dismissed."😂😂😂 So you never know with these judges. People who work at courthouses, from the judges to the bailiffs to the people working in the various offices, are typically MAJOR LEAGUE holier-than-thou douchebags, in almost every experience I've had. So be ready for some bad attitudes, haha.

What you do have going for you is your age. They'll typically by kind to a younger person, from what I've seen. Don't mess with those pills though, seriously. I know I'm just some old dinosaur to you, but I remember being your age like it was yesterday, and not much is different besides the clothes and the music. Being 14 is being 14, we've all been there, we all do dumb things. But I've known a lot of people who really really screwed up their lives messing with pills, and they're horrific to get off of if you get addicted, so I implore you to please make good choices and not mess with that stuff, PLEASE!

What Guys Said 17

• its better to dress up, it shows the judge that you care. be polite and don't fuck with someone who can make your life hell.

• it's smart to get appropriately dressed for court. it shows that you understand the setting you are entering into.

best of luck

• I would dress up. Try to go for an innocent look. Show respect for the court.
    I read you don't have a lawyer IF at anytime you think things may not be going well for you ask the judge politely if you can have a continuance to get legal council.

• Been there done that. Good news is that you are a minor. Dress appropriately. Dont worry about showing some nervousity, that speaks for you. Try to gain a little sympathy and only talk when you have something valuable to say - but when you do, talk with conviction (pun intended). Chances are your punishment will be a few social work hours.

• Yes, dress well. Be polite and respectful. It will show that you are taking this seriously and it might help you.

• Be polite, being an ass never got anybody anything good in court. Dress well, it shows maturity and responsibility. Show remorse, dont try to deny anything. Speak only when spoken to and call the call sir/ma'am.
    You're still a minor so you'll barely get a slap on the wrist anyway.

• It usually helps if you look presentable. No gum chewing either in case the judge wants to ask you a question.

• It would definitely be a good idea to dress up and arrive at least 15 minutes early.

• You should probably go in your underwear

• I've been through the same exact thing when I was 15, you'll be fine. You will most likely get 4-6 months of probation, you'll get drug tested possibly randomly, you'll have to do community service. Just make sure you do not mess up again, I did and got 5 days in juvy!

• omg, my school resource officer took me on a tour of juvie, it looks like hell there

• Not so bad honestly, at least the one I went to, you just sit around and do basically nothing.

• Well I hope you're found guilty

• you don't need to get dressed up, just casual clothes is fine... but don't wear anything too trashy... it definitely not a bad thing to make sure you look good so they see that you care about it but you are 14, don't overdo it.

• Buddy you're 14.

You could go in there and tell the judge to fist himself, and they'd still let you off with a fine.

Been there many times for driving offences, if you're under 18 it's a joke anyway.

• Yes. I was at the courthouse with my class, and most people were dressed up respectfully. Except the guy who looked like Snoop Dogg with saggy pants and an old hoodie 😄

• I've never gone to court but I think it would help you if you dressed innocently since you're 14

• like would it be bad to wear sweats or leggings? lol

• I would wear a long dress or skirt. You're supposed to look sort of professional in court

• I hope you go to prison for the rest of your life

• Tge only time I was 8n a court room was as a jurier but I would guess dress up and look nice be polite or the sheriff's in court will talk to you and just do what they want

What Girls Said 7

• your a kid... Kids get off easy unless you have a history! I would put my best jean and a nice shirt just because its court.

• I've been in trouble for pills before. last year I got in a lot of trouble for drinking... will that affect their decisions in any way?

• Possibly. They look at everything!

• you should dress smart casual. google for images if you're not sure what I mean.
    Showing up in leggins or sweat pants will give off the wrong image.
    Be polite to everyone and show remorse (and mean it)

• Yes! Wear something black. It shows respect for the court. If you have them, wear black low heels as well. It makes you look mature and as if you understand what is going on.

• Dress professionally. Wear blue; people find people wearing blue more trustworthy. Maybe a blue blouse and black slacks or a black skirt.

• You're trying to make a good impression, so that's a good plan. What did your lawyer tell you?

• Yeah, dress to impress when you go to court.

• You should look smart, the more demure the better so natural make up etc. If you want the judge to know that this is out of character, dress innocent.

You need to show you understand how serious this is though so look smart, no low cut tops or short/ tight clothes.

• sweatshirt and leggings?

• Do you have any trousers which are smart? They will most likely be the sort of thing you hate to wear. Or maybe a dress which you would wear to church?