My brother is in jail for domestic violence tonight - what can I expect going forward?

He and his girlfriend got into a fight last night, and he's in jail for domestic violence now.

How long will he stay in jail? Court is tomorrow, by the way. What can I expect?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the facts of the case and if he has a real lawyer he's paying for who will actually fight for him, or if he is being cheap by using a public defender who will tell him to just plead guilty to anything that remotely looks better than the original charge.

If this is the USA even a misdemeanor conviction for domestic violence will include nation wide lifetime losses of certain constitutional rights (such as a permanent 2A rights ban), and as such he will have some limitations on job opportunities or professions he can go into.

Hopefully he's being smart by hiring a criminal defense attorney.

Most Helpful Girl

• Typically it's a mandatory 24 hour cooling off period.

If that girlfriend has any wits about her she'll drop him and his family immediately and get the hell out of dodge.

And if he really did commit domestic violence (law in many places state domestic violence call = mandatory arrest) then he'll likely do it again and if I were you, I'd avoid him.

What Guys Said 8

• Everyone to be to blame except himself will be a big one

• Tell him to avoid the yard
    Be nice to his cellie
    Don't drop the soap

• If his lawyer is shit, he's fucked.

• he is tomorrow for his first appearance... perhaps bail

depends on details of what happened.

• He'll probably get raped in jail

• Tell him to admit what he did but at the same time apologise for his actions. Judges live it.

• He'll probably get bail. Meaning you'll have to go get a bail bond unless you're really well off. Then court dates and lawyers and all that fun stuff.

P. S. You're about to find out how sexist the justice system is. Chances are they'll r*pe him. I'm pretty sure you can never own a gun again if you're convicted of domestic violence.

• He'll have a bond hearing, for a misdemeanor, they will likely release him though, until his next court appearance. For a felony, he will likely have to pay to get released. A bail bond is 10% of what the court requires him to pay to get out... Say, a $10,000 bail, he would have to come up with $1000 to get out. You'd arrange that through a bail bondsman.

What Girls Said 1

• They decide if they're gonna give him bond then you go from there. I think.