What age should a child have a phone, in your opinion?

Most Helpful Guy

• I got mine at age 15. I could have already had it earlier though. I think if I had asked my parents, they would have given me one at 12 or so. The thing is I hated modern technology and they actually kinda had to force me to get it. In the beginning I used to leave it at home in my room as a protest, until I found out how cool texting with friends can be ;-) (this was before social media existed).
    I believe that these days, many kids get their phones too early. I hate to see 7- or 8-year olds play with cell phones. Even if it's not their phone. I also don't like it when parents give their ipad to the children to play with. When you're a child, you should do other stuff. I'm really glad that my mom was very strong about this. She forced my sister and me to go play outside every day, whether the sun shone or it was raining. We've got some nice nature around where we live (I still live in the same town) and so as children we got to play a lot at the river banks and in the forest. It's scientifically proven that playing out in the nature is very important for children, not only because it's physically healthy but also because it aids the psychological and social development.

I can understand that a kid wants to have a cell phone once they get into puberty and things like meeting friends and going to a party become important. This is usually around the age of 14, so that is also the age where I would be okay with giving a phone to my children.

Most Helpful Girl

• I got one at about 11, when I started going to secondary school because I was no longer being picked up and dropped off by my mother or grandparents. It was more likely something would happen to me and I'd need a way to reach my parents, e. g. getting hurt or getting run over and needing to go to the hospital. That's the age I'd give my child one too, so I know that if they need me they can contact me.

What Guys Said 24

• My mom tried her absolute hardest to avoid letting me have a phone. She told me until this year that I was too young and irresponsible to have a phone. Keep in mind that my oldest brother is 18, and he didn't get his phone until a month before he left for college. My other older brother is 16 and he still doesn't have a phone. I told her I don't care if its a crappy flip phone, I just want something to call you with so I don't get stranded somewhere. She agreed, but on one condition: all As. I never worked so hard at school in my life. After first quarter, I had all As, and as agreed, I got a flip phone. I was very happy that I received it. She told me that if I ever fell of the A Honor Roll, that I would lose the phone. So, second quarter, I get all As except a B+ and a B. That to her equated to Non-A Honor Roll grades, so she confiscated the phone for all of February. I took it back last week, and she objected. I then showed her the newspaper, where it said I was A Honor Roll. So, yeah...

• I forgot to mention, I think entering Middle School is a good time to receive a phone. That was when I really started needing one, being involved in many more activities.

• I'd put that at around 15-16 when there is a possibility they could get in trouble and need to call out. and thats not even when my parents gave me a phone, i had to glean one.
    15-16 is just fine but knowing me, i'd probably program it to call 3 numbers...
    -mom
    -dad
    -cops...
    maybe any other siblings but still...

• I'm happy to give my kid one of these the day s/he learns how to use a phone. lovelllovelllovell.files.wordpress.com/.../nokia-3310.jpg

• I didn't get my first phone until I was 17 years old. If and when I have kids, I will delay it as long as possible.

• Well, my 4 year old niece already knows how to use ipads. As in swipe and unlock them, open YouTube app for peppa pig videos and skip the adds... I expect she'll know how to use a phone to crank call her uncle at work by 6, so holding out till her teens may not be realistic.

I think giving them one when they start playing outside with other kids is a good time.

• They should have an iPhone at 2 years old. LOL only joking.

I would say 13 years old.

• At around 17-18 years of age.

• I'd say like 16. And it won't be no top of the line shit either. They can do what I did and wait until they got a job to buy themselves the nicer things. Because they won't take care of it as well if they're not the ones who paid for it.

• That was my parents' philosophy as well. We went phone shopping, and I chose the cheapest phone I could find, which happened to be the LG 450. Functionality was the top priority.

• Probably 13

• The same age you are aloud to drive alone

• In the world of wifi communication, you may as well get them a phone at the same age you get them any other smart-electronic

To answer your question though, I got mine, and my GF's little sister is getting hers, at 13.

• When they're going to be places alone.

• Probably once they start middle school, so like 12.

• I'd say 16.

• I'd probably say 16.

• 12-13 in my opinion

• When they can buy a phone and pay for the plan themselves.

• I don't have one yet so I'm behind in the times

• I'd say 12-13.

• 13...

• when they are allowed to go out on their own.

what age is that anyway? lol

• it's not about the age it's about how you much you trust them with it

• Maybe 13.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 25

• I never had an actual cell phone until I was in high school, so I guess around that time frame. If earlier then they would have it because of an after school activity or something. That way they can contact their parents when it's finished.

• probably from early high school, say 13-14.

• Um I had one when I was 8! So 8 because in case he/she gets lost!

• Whenever my little one will be going places alone. I'm not sure when I'll be comfortable with letting her go to the mall and whatnot but once that comes I'd want to have communication with her.

• 12

...

• I had my first phone when I was 19, that's when I went to college. So I believe the same should go for other people. Phones are very distracting and they dictate your life. Everyone is concentrated on phones too much these days. Even a 3 year old has a phone and it's just too early and bad parenting.

• I got mine when I was 13 years old.

• My 5yo daughter has her own phone, she rarely uses it.
    She is most of the time writing on her notebook.

• Probably 14 is when I'll give my boy a phone.

• Until they can buy one themselves.

Lol, I'm kidding. But I'm not buying them the latest iPhone or whatever. I'll get them one around twelve years old probably.

• When they start going out on their own.

• you know what the worlds a messed up place now and i honestly think age 10 is good t have a phone. my sister used to give me a old old phone if i played outside in the area to tell us to get in for dinner lol

• I got my first phone towards the end of my senior year in high school. And it was a very shitty one at that too.

• No earlier than 10.

• I got mine when i was 18.. My parents always told me to use the office phone at school so i did.

• When they're responsible to actually take care of their nice technology. I say about 15 or 16.

• 10 years old

• Like 7th grade... so around 12? It wouldn't be the most updated phone either. They don't need that lol

• 12 ideally, 11 minimum.

• As soon as they become a teenager, so 13 it is.

• 14-15.

• 12-13

• seventeen years old

• When they go out on their own or when the can pay for it themselves.

• 16-17