What is your preferred operating system?

• Windows
  • OSX
  • Linux
  • Other
  • Mobile (iOS, Android, etc)

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to be a windows fan and then I started using linux and realized how windows is actually crap. Unfortunately I do still think windows 10 is visually the best looking. Also there are some thing that just run better on windows, such as adobe photoshop and most games. osx is kind of an in-between for me. I use all three but linux is my main os.

• Really? I looked at W10 and thought it looked like a mess, with mismatched elements, dull flatness, and bad contrast that hurts my eyes. No accounting for taste, I guess.

• Well I'm not saying it looks good, honestly I think they all have badly designed UIs. lol.

• I might make it a point to design my own gtk theme eventually if I ever have a bunch of extra time and it seems worth it

What Girls Said 5

• If Linux could support more games and other things. I would never use windows ever again and stick to Linux.

• That's getting better. Steam linux has some games, but admittedly it wasn't the sudden impact of games that some of us would have hoped for. But the Vulkan API is here, and that may change things in the long term. I'm with you on games, but since my gaming has slowed to a crawl, I never use windows anymore.

• Well I don't really play games anymore, so I've only tried a few, but all of the ones I tried performed worse on linux.

• @frozenhorizon opposite for me. The windows-wrapped games are the shitty ones, as expected. The true native linux games tend to run the same or better.

• Windows all the way

• Windows is all I have ever used.

• windows

• Windows

What Guys Said 16

• For Gaming, obviously Windows.

For coding, Linux.

... I really wish Linux got more love when it comes to games. The day I can play my favorite games on Linux is the day I am fully switching over. I'm glad Linux is starting to get some small gaming love though.

• I would say the more people buy the games for linux, the more likely the developers are to release linux ports.

• Vote 'A' - Windows - never used any other lol

• I would say Windows

• I have a soft spot in my heart for Linux. I usually dual boot my computer with Linux and Windows. I would love to have OSX, but Macs are just too damn expensive for the specs you get.

So, I'm stuck using Windows, because the art and writing software I use isn't available on Linux, not to mention the difficulty of running most games in Linux.

• It's pretty easy to run games on Linux through steam, at least if you stick with games from reputable publishers. But, of course, most of the big games are windows only. I stopped rewarding that sort of laziness, because it hurts gaming in the long run.

• For running servers Linux, for my main development environment Linux, for netflix and most games Windows... Open Shift from the RedHat guys looks pretty fun to play with as well... https://www.openshift.com/

• You can run netflix on linux.

• I've had htpcs on linux before. For me that was more flexible. Games lacking compatibility is not the fault of linux, and it only ads to the problem to use windows.

• I have as well, but at the time I set my current HTPC up as I stated, there was not linux support for Netflix or Amazon prime direct videos. Most of steams Linux based games didn't exist. It's an old box, but stills does it's job running. My NAS is Linux. My main desktop is dual boot as is my laptop. My servers run linux. I do need to work with a microsoft azure server for a project that is coming up though...

• I have been using Windows since I first looked at a computer. Wanna stick with it.

• Windows 7 master race

• are you high? More like a cult of oddballs.

• No, about the people that hate W10 but still are willing to be treated like post apocalyptic scavengers by MS, by going to W7.

• Oh. Heh. Well I avoided Win8 like the plague, I actually would update to W10 but I'll have to reinstall windows first so that it'll be a legal copy and I've been extra-lazy to screw up my home dev environment just for that. I still have time till June.

• If I'm gaming, Windows (my vote.)
    For getting shit done, Linux.

If I were to start a business, it would be 100% Microsoft-free.

• I game on linux, when I still do. So, yeah, I guess I'm not a true gamer, anymore. But to me, it's a realistic simulation to boycott windows.

• Steam has brought a LOT of good choices to Linux, but it's not quite there yet. You can have a lot of fun with Robocraft.

• I used to play a lot of Dota 2, and I had to tear myself away from Civ 5. Boycotting windows reduced my gaming, but that's probably for the best. Last serious game I played was Skullgirls with friends at some nerd reunion, and that ran on linux. The only windows games I wanted to play and missed out on was the Darksiders and Dragon Age series. Other than that, I guess my interest in gaming has waned.

• Linux or Mac is my go-to,
    mobile=Android

• I use Windows. It's what I grew up with and it's the one I'm most familiar with.

• I have always used windows

• I prefer OSX because it's more streamlined but they don't make any games or software for it, I have Windows 10 right now and it's cool. If OSX had software and games I would choose it over Windows.

• OSX, hands down

• Whatever supports the most software.

• I don't care and I don't have such problems unlike some people... I'm used to Windows mostly... but I'd not mind usin' another System...

• Windows... with iTunes.

I hate how WMP and now Groove Music can't play tracks from cd boxsets in the fcking correct order

• You like itunes? Most people hate it.

• So does any media player worth its salt.

• WMP is supposedly one of the "big players" because it's made by Microsoft - but it's a sh*t software, because it does not play cd boxsets in the correct order, at least not out of the box (haven't found out a way to do so, and so I use iTunes instead)

forums.windowscentral.com/.../...orrect-order.html