Why do adults think that because you're young, that you don't know about "grown up stuff"?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you don't know about grown up stuff. You probably learned that the bee goes in the bird last year. The amount of time you've maintained an actually conscious mind is probably, what, 2-4-5 years? Contrasted to 15-20-30-40? You can see a clear difference. Looking back, I really didn't maintain an actually conscious mind until I was 15. It was baby level. You're just being introduced to everything. You're going through the fundamentals. It's like, do you think that an 8 year old knows half the stuff you know about teenage life?

That said, some 15 year olds have created ways to test for cancer twice as effectively as any adult could ever figure out. No one would say that youngin's aren't smart. Though I doubt you're as smart as that kid. But, the truth is that young teens severely lack experience. Chances are they haven't gone through 10% of what any other adult has been through. That's not always true, but it's true enough to generalize that most young people don't know about *a lot* of grown up stuff.

The teenage brain is also significantly more geared towards the amygdala in approaching issues and such. That's the emotional lizard brain. Adults are much more capable--most of the time--of thinking rationally. Their frontal lobe is just starting to develop. They rely more on impulse and emotion than adults do. Though no doubt you will find some childish adults.

In short, if you can understand that bias, then you can accept it more readily. Recognize that there is a difference between you and an adult. That's why you're not considered an adult in the eyes of the law. Then just ask them to tell you about grown up stuff. You don't have to just make statements. In fact, it's a lot better--for anyone--to ask people questions, rather than saying they know it all by making statements.

Most Helpful Girl

• it's not that younger people don't know grown up things, I feel that you can't truly understand until you've lived through it and experienced it. I can tell you how Ihe moved 15 times in the last 5 years, how I lived out of my car with my brother and had to collect pop cans in order to get money to be able to eat that day and yeah you can feel bad but you will never understans what that is truly like until it's happened to you. That goes for a lot of "grown up" things like bills, I work full time at the hospital and still don't make enough money to pay my bills. I never have my rent on time so I get a $60 late fee every month, I usually plan to pay some on my electric bill but other bills that come first get paid and then there's no more money so it's been months since I've paid on that, I def don't have money to pay for car insurance, usually by the time I pay my bills I'm generally left with $30-40 to last me for 2 weeks for groceries, gas, dog food. It's been a very long time since I've been able to do anything fun, think about a year and a half ago went to a concert and before that it had been years, I only own 2 pairs of leggings, 3 shirts, undies and work clothes and I don't have money to get clothes and the ones I have are worn until they have wholes in them. Last week all I had to eat was oatmeal and didn't have sugar even to put in it or drinks. I also don't have tv or cable. this is how I am able to live and it sucks.

What Guys Said 13

• Honestly, because I used to think I knew things when I was 14, and I used to think I knew things when I was 17, and I also used to think I knew things when I was 20, but now at 24 I realize that everything I knew THEN is totally invalid compared to what I think I know now, and I'll probably feel the same way about what I think now in about 4 years.

• It's being egoistic... there are some kids with big hearts that know better than some adults. Age isn't a matter of being mature or being smart. It's all about the character of a person, I don't consider myself an adult yet but I get the same reaction from adults that think my ideas are wrong. Honestly, if you go up to a kid and ask him what love or peace means his simple honest words will affect me than an adult explaining me what he think love and peace is. As we grow up we become selfish to think we know everything where we don't. This is my take which I might be wrong.

• Honestly, it isn't that they think you don't know about it. It is more that they wish you wouldn't take part in it *just yet*.

• It's true that some adults do underestimate teens but for the most part you really don't know shit at that age until you live it when you're a little older. Once you're like 24, you'll look back and say wow I was a naive little fuck haha.

• Because they associate knowing with being responsible and dealing with the Fcked up things that we need to deal with; others tend to want to bury they heads in the sand and don't want to see they children as being sexually active or mature.

• Grown ups don't even know about grown up stuff. Trust me. My mother wants to vote for Trump. -.-

• You'll realize when you're older. Not even joking.

• Depends, sometimes they're right but often they aren't. It's more like just a communication barrier, you have different priorities.

• Probably because you don't know as much "grown up stuff" as they do, since they are grown up.

• Personally I don't judge by someone's age... other people who're being say 14... might know more than a 30+ person... for example someone at 14 might've had sex... and a 30 year old guy might still be a virgin...

• Because every single adult in the world, was once as young as you. No exceptions. We ALL were.

And we ALL remember what it was like to think "Hey, I know about that stuff, I'm not a child" And we ALL know now, looking back, that we were wrong.

We also know that we didn't listen to adults much when they tried to explain that sort of thing to us, so don't worry about it. In 20 years, you'll probably be telling your kids the same thing. And they won't listen to you either.

• because you're young duh

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• Because you're not a grown up. You don't have much life experience to work with. If they're telling you that you don't know anything about stuff you've never had to deal with that is valid. But when grown ups automatically disregard your opinions or condescend to you just becauseyou are young that isn't cool.

• Because adults have lived through a lot, we have not.

When I was 12 I saw Ariel and she said "But Daddy I love him!" She's only 16.
    Now that I'm 16 and experienced "love" I tell her to stfu, she's only 16.

Younger people such as teenagers like to think we know everything and have it ALL figured out and we know what we're doing when in reality, we have no fuckin' clue as to what's goin on and whats gonna happen.

• yeah... i too feel so... whenever i give my own opinion to any of my elders... they just ignore it... they don't even let me share my opinion... so i think it's just their mentality... but according to me... in this generation.. the teenagers are more smarter than the grown-ups/aged ones!!!

• They wanna feel special and mature.
    Sometimes I think think are things younger people don't understand, but not always.
    Most experience does come with age though.

• Because experience is a whole new spectrum of knowledge that usually can't be obtained at such a young age. It's different for everyone obviously, but that's the main reason why in my opinion.

• Because they once have been young and can understand that no matter what we think when we are young we dont really know the reality about *grown up stuff*