How long would it take to decompose?

So if you buried a person who is about 5 ft 5 in tall of average weight in regular soil without a coffin or anything, how long would it take for it to decompose into just bones?

Most Helpful Guy

• Years and years unless there's a lot of moisture which accelerates the decay process. Once they are in the ground, leave there in peace and move on.

• Thanks for the MHG! Now can I ask: why did you ask the question?

• @austinman @decentguy @bluecoyote I was trolling. Wanted to see what people would answer. It was quite interesting actually.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

What Guys Said 6

• My brother is in the FBI, and when he was in the academy at Quantico they actually did this experiment with some surplus med school cadavers. According to my bro, wrapped or covered in a carpet rug was the quickest way, as it provided enough warmth and insulation for certain bacteria to do their thing, but also enough air inflow for aerobic bacteria. Yecch, I know.

• This isn't a place to ask.
    These kinds of things are hard to find answers to.
    I was doing research for a book and wanted to know what someones corpse would look like if they got spaced, specifically if they would be recognizable. I emailed NASA (Yes they answer questions and answered a later one.) but that question never got answered

• this is very scary and terrifying post.

• I did nothing, I am just asking.

• I know, it's creepy. She asked about legal measures and possible prison sentences in another post. I explained them to her and afterwards she said "my doctor also said I've got schizophrenia. Might that affect the prison sentence?". I replied: "So did you kill somebody?" She said "no" to which I asked "If the murder doesn't involve you, why would the information of you having schizophrenia matter in this context?" She simply wrote back "it doesn't", to which I replied "So why did you give me that information?"
      She didn't answer anymore.
      Ain't that creepy?

• @BlueCoyote that is too much creepy.

• It depends on so many factors it's not worth guessing.

• I suspect you are trolling or a murder suspect.. seriously.

• a lot depends on temperature and how wet the soil is

in warm wet conditions as little as a month

in cool dry conditions the body might freeze or mummify

• That is help. Thank you.

What Girls Said 2

• … what crime did you just commit?

• I did nothing, I'm just wondering

• callin the cops lol jk