Doesn't Bernie Sanders seem like a really nice guy?

I don't follow politics much, but I went to vote because my brother insisted. Anyway, I didn't vote for him.

Later, I saw that he was losing at one point and I felt really bad for him because he just seems like such a nice guy.

• He does!
  • No, he doesn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• He's a socialist and a washed up hippy, his policies would destroy America and the economy and economy classes, not to mention that he wants the goverment to be able to dictate how much money you make at a job meaning that no matter what position you hold or how many hours or overtime you work you will never make more money then what the goverment thinks you deserve. He also wants to expand the government to even more uncontrollable lengths and make illegal immigrants who broke the law and broke into our country legal he is weak on practically every issue.

Being a nice guy doesn't mean he would make a good president or a good leader, you don't vote someone in because you like them or because they're nice, you vote someone in because they get results and they will do what is right for the country and it's people in question. Jimmy Carter was reputed as quite a nice guy but went down in history as one of the worst leaders and presidents to ever set foot in the white house.

Not to mention Bernie wants to turn us into a socialist nation were the goverment says here, here you poor little child let me hand you and give you everything because you can't do anything for yourself. Which sounds nice when they give you everything but in reality the government giving the people everything and the people not doing anything for themselves is the most deceiving form of deception there is. By them giving us everything the people become reliant on the government for everything from education, housing, jobs etc which gives the goverment undisputed and complete control over the people and if the people ever decide they don't like it, the goverment can take everything you have away.

But anyway yes Bernie is a nice guy but as I said a nice guy doesn't necessarily make a good leader.

• And I don't mean this in a bad way but you are what is refereed to as a low information voter don't be that kind of voter, actually research the person you are voting for as well as other candidates for both parties, research their policies, what they stand for watch their speeches, meetings find out the kind of person they are and find out if they will do what is actually right for the people and the country. That is our duty as citizens of this country to be informed to be prepared and to choose the best people for the job even if we don't necessarily like who they are as an individual when looking at a candidate you must ask yourself will their policies and what they plan on doing benefit me or hurt me and the people and country.

• Aw write me a poem

• @ConsultantIsBack Lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think you think about people and issues the way Bernie Sanders does without being a truly nice person.

What Guys Said 17

• Of course he does. I'm not even American and I'm super excited about him. He's the biggest political exception America has seen in well over half a century. How could you not vote for him? I hope you didn't give your vote to Hillary that old witch who claims to be all over workers' rights while taking money from Wallstreet and claims to be all over African American rights while kicking black people out of her rallies.

• Remember, even if he is a nice guy, it takes more than being nice to be an effective leader. Jimmy Carter seems like a nice guy but he isn't really viewed as an amazing former president. But yes, since your question simply asks if he seems like a nice guy, I agree.

• You don't think he'd be an effective leader?

• Jimmy Carter was a genuinely nice guy. He was also quite intelligent - he was a nuclear engineer on US Navy nuclear subs. And while those are good qualities to have in general, they aren't (nearly) enough to make someone a good president. Carter was absolutely AWFUL, and many of his actions directly made things worse instead of better. He was a lousy leader, he didn't understand people and his ideas about government and the economy were naive and wrong. As a result, an already difficult time (because of the oil issues) were made much worse, and the economy was just awful.

Personally, I think both Hillary and Trump are god-awful choices, but Bernie isn't really better either. Sadly, it's rare that the best candidates make it very far, because the fact that they aren't corrupted (or not corrupted as much) by special interests also means they lack the funds, the connections, and the access needed to be a successful candidate.

• EVERY politician takes a personality

They're all greedy and ruthless. Else they wouldn't make it anywhere

• Bernie Sanders is different. He doesn't do it for the money. He is the biggest political exception the United States have seen in well over a century.

• Well, I believe you can become a senator of a small state like Bernie did without being too ruthless. I mean, he's surely a tough guy but he's not ruthless in the sense that he's cold and calculating like Hillary is (Hillary is literally the real-life Frank Underwood). He's honest about all his opinions and he's always voted for what he thought was right rather than voting for what he thought people would applaud him for. For example he supported gay and transgender rights all the way back in the 1970s when it was considered a huge taboo to even talk about these things, let alone support them.
      But I do believe that you're right in the sense that his niceness will probably cost him the presidency. He doesn't have the bitterness and cold-hearted strategical thinking that Hillary has and that is why he probably won't make it to become president.

• @BlueCoyote I like how you used Frank Underwood as an example. Sure, he seems like a bad guy, but aside from murdering two people, he did a real knock-up job. If you think Kennedy did anything less just because the history books show he's nice, we're all wrong. Frank Underwood fought for the Presidency and, at the cost of his morals, starts to win.

Hillary is gonna win the presidency. It would be nice if Bernie won, but unfortunately unless he starts to fight harder, he'll fall to Hillary.

• Of course, he wants to give Americans free everything
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfOAHbU2ro0

• I know conservatives love to say that. But it's not free. It's called solidarity. Unfortunately, conservatives don't know what that is because they're only into their own money and power and how to be a more egoistic person... which is quite strange since they also claim to be patriots. What is more patriotic than looking out for your fellow people and living a tad more humbly so that other, poorer people get a chance too.

• See, it's not about having a surrogate parent. It's about being there for each other. It's not even about the government. The government just acts as a proxy since the society is too big to structure it differently. If you lived in a 200-citizen society, you could make a rule such as "we put a big pot in the middle of the village and everyone contributes according to his abilities in order to help those who have less". In a society with 300 million people, you can't organize it like that so you need a government to do it for you. I still don't understand why you'd rather hoard your money than live in a country where everyone gets a fair chance. Especially since social equality also increases total per capita wealth as well as overall happiness of a society. There's a reason western Europe has all the happiest nations in the world. People look out for each other instead of hoarding money while 5 miles away, people starve to death.

• @BlueCoyote Europe is also suffering from a debt crisis because of entitlements. I believe everyone must pull their own weight and only ask for help when absolutely necessary otherwise we create a weak society. I live in Canada and the taxes are much higher than in the US. We have more social programs that have no effect on me, some of which I oppose.
      For one our healthcare which is state funded, is terrible due to long waiting times from which people actually die.
      Most people can afford health insurance, for those that can't the government can help them.

• Regardless of his politics, he seeks like a nice guy. Hillary is the only candidate in either side that seems mean.

• No I disagree,
      Most of them seem mean except for Carson, Kasich and Sanders

• And Kasich is the only GOP Nominee that I wouldn't hate being president

• He is indeed a really nice person. But I'm still voting for Trump. #Trump2016

• That's no reason to vote for someone. Bush seemed like a nice guy too.

• Vote for the policy not the person

• nope...

• Grandpa Bernie❤

• i bet he is only if you agree with his point of view. since i dont i think we wouldn't get along

• nope. fuck him.

• Yes he is, it just his policy's are utopian for a country as big as the U. S.

• Nobody cares.

• Bernie Sanders is a good man and an effective advocate for the causes he champions he has brilliant ideas single-payer healthcare, fixing the income and wealth gap, free education etc. It’s all great stuff. But that doesn’t make a great president. Not in this horrific world we live in.

• Nice in the way a crazy uncle who believes in fairies is nice. I'd be happy to go visit and eat some gingerbread and cocoa but I wouldn't want to put him in charge of anything.

• This!!! 😂

• Entertainers (and sports stars are just entertainers) are a peculiar case. The modern enormous salaries many of them enjoy are because of broadcast media technology which allows them to present their product to an unprecedentedly huge audience.

Markets are a battleground, people are always trying to manipulate them in their favor. Government's rightful place is to keep them from doing this, to make the market as free and open as possible with to goal of getting as much useful work done as possible. Unfortunately government is very easy to corrupt, particularly because ordinary people don't understand the complexities of market regulation. Their inclination then becomes to say markets will never work right and to throw the baby out with the bathwater. They are like a farmer frustrated with a tractor which keeps malfunctioning. If he gets so frustrated he takes a hammer to it it's not going to get the field plowed no matter how satisfying it is to him emotionally to do so.

• I know why that is, but I would still change it a bit.

Yeah, the government is still run by people, just like the market, so of course they will try to benefit themselves as well. Complexities of market regulation... such as?

So, who would you have voted for?

What Girls Said 5

• He does. He seems like a genuine good person.

• I guess if you think someone who wants to come in and control every aspect of your life is nice.

• Yeah but sucks at politics

• He is the lesser of all the evils

• He does! But I couldn't vote for him.