Does physical pain help reduce emotional / psychological pain?

Lots of depressed people do papercuts or even cuts with knives. Does it take the pain away? Enlghten me please..

• YES
  • NO

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it just provides a distraction. And then in the end you just have more pain to deal with.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, yeah, I mean... I'm not particularly depressed or haunted by anything, but I know from experience that when your jack fails and a car falls on your arm, it's fairly difficult to think of anything that isn't the frame of your Miata turning your bones to dust. :D

If I feel sad I drink or take drugs or drift. Hurting yourself on purpose is a retard's game.

What Girls Said 3

• Its a temporary solution, if your thinking of doing it, don't.

• Not really...
    At least not for me.

• No way.

What Guys Said 4

• Physical pain releases endorphins into the bloodstream. This counteracts the feeling of depression somewhat, for a short time.

Scarification as a means of self-medication is a common, but poor choice.

• i would recommend working out. it healthyer than cutting your self and it will get you in shape at the same time.

• it only makes it worst. believe me iv'e been there, and now i regret a lot and i just want my scars to be disappeared or completely gone but i can't.

• Nope.