Why Would Child Protective Services Take A Newborn?

A few days ago, a friend of mine had her first son. However, Child Protective Services are now talking to her. I am not sure why, but I would like to know what are some reasons why they would take the child away. The mother came back negative with the drug test. And they are now checking the baby's third poop for drugs as well. I do know that she smoked marijuana while pregnant.

Most Helpful Guy

• Different states have different levels of suspicion, but drug abuse is a major concern. I have nothing against recreational marijuana use, but if she was using marijuana while she was pregnant, then she was endangering that baby.

• Thank you for replying! If this can help, she lives in the state of Texas.

• Well, I do agree with you. Anyone who is dumb enough to use drugs while pregnant, should pay some type of price. However, she was too ignorant to stop until a week before her due date. I do wonder how long marijuana will stay in the baby's system, though.

• Marijuana is absorbed into the body fat since it is a sterol and *distantly* related to naturally occurring steroids in the body. As a result it stays in the system for a LONG time, weeks or months.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe someone did report the fact that whilst she was pregnant she was smoking drugs, and that when the baby was born they wanted to follow up.

What Guys Said 1

• They probably fished and fiddled with the baby's third turd til they convinced themselves the mother is a filthy, pot-smoking ghoul! They'll probably convict the baby of possession of a drug-tainted loaf, and give it a "mandatory" 20-year sentence for failing to "Just Say No", under some "Zero Tolerance" BS. Get together with your neighbors, and the next time the "protective services" cretins come by, everbody rush em and fling your feces at em!

• I've worked in healthcare for many years, and taken care of lots of deformed and "intellectually challenged" kids, and personally, I think anyone who is stupid enough and negligent enough to use drugs while pregnant *should* be sterilized, but that's just my *personal* opinion.

• I agree with much of what you say, and I am NOT against drug use in general. In fact, except for non-adults or their direct caretakers, and people who hold others' lives in their hands like pilots, drivers, nurses, doctors etc. I think people should be allowed to go to hell in their own way. My exception is pregnant women, and *possibly* impregnating men, in those instances in which there is a reasonable suspicion that the drug could effect the fetus (I know of no such drug currently).

I an adult is not risking other peoples' lives, and is not endangering fetus's health, then I say, "let them do *whatever* they want."

• @Intraluminal I think we're at least mostly in agreement! ; - )

What Girls Said 1

• They couldve gotten a tip from someone saying that the mom did drugs and now they are just checking up on everything...