I'm having trouble being happy with what I have... Advice?

It started out with not being able to afford new clothes for debate and it just seems to have escalated. Prom (i'm going as a junior) is around the corner and the dress that I wanted cost $400. It was amazing! Teal blue lace mermaid style dress with a little bit of bling all in all it fit me like a glove. But my mom decided tthat it was too much money to spend (even though I saved up) so i ended up with a similar dress I found online (it was $179). It's still mermaid style and teal but with a lot less fabric and it doesn't fit the same way as the other one. I just feel dissapointed and kinda stupid for feeling dissapointed over a dress... It just sucks not to have the money to get the same quality things everyone else has...

Most Helpful Girl

• $400 is a lot for a dress!! I don't think many people have $400 prom gowns, so you shouldn't worry, haha! Maybe you could get the one from online altered by a tailor, so that it'll fit you perfectly! And instead of focusing on the dress, try planning what jewelry, makeup, hairstyle, bag, and other accessories you can use to complete your look! I'm sure it'll be great :)

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• There will be a lot of other people in your position and I know at the time prom is very important but in reality no one is going to gush over each others dresses, everyone will just look more formal than they see each other in the everyday school life. Don't sweat it, you've proven that you could afford it since you saved up but I'm sure at some point as well there will be something that will be worth it.