Why do people commit suicide?

Why do they? I've considered it a few times but then i learned that life really teaches you how to live it, eventually you get wiser and become more mature. Whatsup with people who do that? especially celebrities... are they just selfish?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know. Can't say because even though I have thought about this subject, I've never attempted or even think about actually doing it. In my mind, morally, no one decides to be born or when to die. I don't think it is humane to take your own life, specially considering the people who love you/you love.

I think of suicide as an act of weakness. And before anyone jumps on me and say that I have no idea what I'm saying, I've had my fare share of problems growing up. Including insults, nicknames, physical agression and people making me feel as a worthless piece of shit for being fat and weird. You have a choice to overcome your problems, you know.

As for contemplating death, I get it. Death is the easy way out from your problems, and when it comes I wouldn't be surprised some people receive it with open arms. Specially since it will happen to everyone anyways.

Most Helpful Girl

• People who commit suicide don't really want to end their life, they want to end their emotional suffering. It is difficult for people who are not suffering with depression or mental health issues to comprehend why someone would have the view that having no life at all would be better than the one than have.

You can't judge someone's decisions and choices when you don't know their reasons. They obviously have deep rooted problems , and unresolved issues.. It is sad when someone ends their own life, because they leave a trail of heartbreak and devastation behind them. Their family has to live with that the rest of their lives. They usually blame themselves or wonder what more they could have done to prevent it. They are burdened will guilt for the rest of their lives , but you can't really judge someone when their mind is isolated and disconnected

What Guys Said 21

• i have no idea, I've never actually contemplated suicide before, like not seriously. what I can assume though is that they just can't deal with their immediate problems and make impulsive decisions to take the easy way out. this usually amounts to too much stress, pressure, anxiety, etc.

• You've considered suicide a few times? Then why are you asking? Some people have depression and the hormone balance in their brains is off so they're just always sad no matter how their life is going, if they're not treated then that can lead to suicide. Some people (a lot of veterans) have PTSD and don' get treated because the government takes forever to pay them benefits.

Some people are just in a shitty situation in life and don't see a way out. I've personally never contemplated suicide but I can see that some people have shittier lives than me and I'm not going to judge others for the decisions they make in situations that I don't know about.

• Life was nothing but pain and emptiness to them and they lost hope that things would get better.

• Suicide is a final solution to a temporary problem. It is a solution, but its the "I run away from my problems"-kind of solution.

• How is it selfish when life is so shit to them that it makes someone want to do that? The people around them who tell them to get over it or pull themselves together are the ones who are selfish. Its the result of an illness. They are ill and their brains aren't working properly. You wouldn't tell someone who dies of cancer or who had a stoke that they are selfish so why do it with mental illness?

• Permanent problems, pain, or conditions that one can not change. The logic goes, if I'm going to die anyway, why not today? I mean we all die one day. To tell you the truth, if I was disabled or in pain, I would take my own life. There is no point in continuing on if you can't live a normal, happy, fulfilling life. There are logical, stable people who, when circumstances change, take their own life.

• I've attempted suicide twice.
    I've got major depressive disorder and its not just feeling sad.
    It makes it hard to feel anything at all.
    Imagine not being able to feel much of anything except anger, sadness and despair when you can feel at all for months.
    Me, I just wanted not to feel like that anymore

• And no its not a selfish action.
      My brain chemistry often makes it hard to feel anything at all except anger, sadness, and despair. A couple of times, I've felt that way for weeks at a time with no relief. The times I tried to kill myself it was because, if that's all this life is going to be, I can't live like that.
      It was an attempt to get it to stop, to find peace

• The pain they are feeling is so intense, they feel there is no other way out than to end it as quickly as possible. It is not selfish or cowardly, it is an act of last resort.

• I used to be like to, sometimes people just can't handle all the stress and shit life throws at em.

• believe me you dont wanna know why they do that, i know and its very very hard to explain this to anyone who dont know, iv'e been on this stage a lot. in short some people life are a big misery that they cannoit escape.

• Cause they are sick and tired of being disappointed in life, can't get ahead, feel stuck, are lonely, have mental health or drug problems and don't seek help just let all the negativity fester and destroy them it's sad to see

• Depression is usually the cause.

• They're crazy and need help

• I have considered it too, ultimately I view suicide as the coward's way out.

• Life just seems simpler when you end it

• Because they want to.

• No they're smart f you ask me

• How is suicide selfish?

• They are not happy with their life, that's why... they just can't take it any more.

• because no ones strong enough to face their demons now a days

• Well suicide seems to be at the highest at least among men in their 40s-60s. I haven't lived that long or am at that stage of life so I'm not really sure why. Most discussions about suicide and the reasons for them have almost always been about teenage suicides.

What Girls Said 5

• No? They're depressed usually to the point they find no reason to live.

• They want an escape from the pain of life.
    If you want them to stay in a miserable life against their will just because *you* want them to, then you're the one being selfish.

Personally? I'll just ride it out. (Ride out my life, I mean.) I have eternity to be dead afterwards.

• People who don't know how to deal with shit. A mental weakness, inability to see things from a perspective outside of theirs in a single moment. It's not necessarily their fault of course, could be hormonal imbalance, mental problems. I'll probably never understand it, doesn't seem logical to kill or hurt yourself.

• I'd also lile to add, upon reading other comments, that there are people who have really awful lives and live through really rough times that end up perfectly fine, no depression or suicide. Sorry I have many relatives in Mexico who are basically dirt poor and have it bad who are happy, stable people. The US has very high mental illness rates yet we are a very privileged country, here people get depression and kill themselves because their girlfriend broke up with them or because daddy didn't get them the latest Porsche. I'm not discrediting mental illnesses because they are very much real but I'd just like to point out that people can suffer a lot and be normal, it's all about mental stability and health.

• @Waffles731 I am a rather emotionless person but I am certain I am not depressed so I most likely will never understand unless that changes, even if I try to put myself in your position. The most I can do is understand that it's not your fault but a chemical fault that you have no control over (but may be bettered with medications I suppose).
      I guess I could connect the situation to my ulcerative colitis, it's not my fault I have it, in fact I most likely inherited it. There's no cure, it can be treated but there's bound to be flare ups even with the treatment.
      It's similar because both situations are really not due to the person's active decisions, it's due to an uncontrollable factor. It's also similar because it's not like you can take medications and it will go away forever, it sticks with you and affects you on a daily basis.

• Basically, I can understand the circumstances of mental disorders (well health related disorders in general), but I'll never understand the effects it has over people unless I myself suffer from it.

• They are far from selfish. What's selfish is making other people feel worthless. People who commit suicide usually get bullied, parents abuse them, or they honestly don't feel good enough & they don't wanna live in this world anymore because what they lived was horrible.

• Depression lies and tells people they'll always feel terrible, nothing good will ever happen and everyone else would be better without them.