Which is more harmful Smoking or Alcohol?

Which is more harmful?

• Smoking
  • Alcohol

Most Helpful Girl

• Smoking , because not only does it affect the health of the person smoking. It endangers the health & lives of other people too. i. e passive smoking (second hand smoke) but also research has now shown that third-hand smoke is just as dangerous. This consists of residue from cigarettes that is left behind after smoking , which builds up on surfaces and furnishings. Smoke that lingers in rooms long after smoking stops and remains on our clothes after we leave a smoky place is highly toxic.

Alcohol affects the person consuming it, but smoking affects anyone who comes into contact with the smoke

Most Helpful Guy

• I think moderate smoking is worse than moderate drinking. But I think heavy drinking is worse than heavy smoking. However it somewhat depends on the person. For smoking it's always bad for everyone. With drinking, heavy drinking is always bad, but some people handle it better than others. The ones who don't handle it well can be far worse than a smoker.

As a bystander, I'd rather breath second hand smoke every day than be with a violent drunk every day. I've lived with someone who was both a smoker and an alcoholic. If I could pick only one for them to give up, it would have been the drinking - it's not even close.

What Girls Said 12

• Hands down alcohol is more harmful. What a shame so many people disagree. No one has a few too many cigarettes and loses control of their motor functioning. Smoking doesn't cause car accidents or acute poisoning. People who are addicted to cigarettes will live longer and healthier lives than people addicted to alcohol.

What is a more important factor than the substance itself in determining its harmfulness is the way it is used.

• Well think about it. Smoking is more in a way because of second=hand smoke. That could fuck up the lungs of the people around them aND them.
    Alcohol only affects the drinkers health, unless they become drunk and end up driving. then its life affecting and they can kill someone in a wreck or running someone over.
    so they're both equally bad.

• I would say both but I think smoke is highly dangerous than alcohol. especially if its second hand smoke. You can control how much you drink and what you drink and usually your liver does a good job of filtering but the smoking can damage your lungs pretty bad.

• Smoking is much worse, lung cancer...

• In small doses smoking
    Addiction wise alcohol

• Smoking is more harmful since it has absolutely no benefit for you. Zero good effects, nada.

• Alcohol fuck up your mind as well as your body.

• smoking

• Alcohol in the short run and if you consume loads.
    Smoking in the long run.

• Smoking...

• Depends on what you're smoking

• neither of them, i don't smoke and don't drink

What Guys Said 31

• While smoking is unhealthy too, British researchers have found in long-term studies that alcohol is as harmful to the body and to society as heroin. I think that's pretty hard to top. People just think it can't be too bad cuz it's culturally accepted in the western hemisphere to drink alcohol.

• Have you not seen how much people drink in some Asian cultures, notably Japan? Google 'Nomikai'. You are *expected* to go drinking heavily with your co-workers and boss.

• @meatballs21 Yes, that is true. I'm also not generally against drugs or against alcohol. I'm not one of those fundamentalist christians with a giant stick up their butt. I used to smoke pot myself and I can't see anything bad about trying some other light drugs (though I've never had the chance to do that). I just don't like the alcohol-culture that we have both in the west and in east Asia. I think that is partially why I'm very critical towards alcohol. I don't like how people get loud and aggressive when they drink and how they want to party and how women these days think it's an expression of being emancipated to get completely wasted on Saturday night and all these things. In countries like Korea or Japan one of the big reasons why people drink so much is also to numb yourself down from the crazy stress you've got at work. I think this is all pretty sad. When I smoke a joint, I feel more open and relaxed. I appreciate music and nature and good talks. Alcohol is very different.

• You can live to a ripe old age with moderate alcohol intake. I'm not sure how weed compares to tobacco intake.

• Alcohol is likely worse, if it leads to someone being drunk all the time. But cigarettes can be addictive, and it means someone has to have another unless they quit. Plus nowadays there are all those things like e-cigarettes, and vaporizers that pretend to help you quit, but I have heard that both of those are much worse for people

• Smoking. There's nothing beneficial in smoking (assuming you'r talking about cigarettes), but alcohol can be good for you if taken in small doses. A cup of wine every day is good for you.
    Obviously if overdone, it's harmful.

• Both can lead to death.
    A death by liver failure will be less painful than death by lung cancer.

• Smoking causes damage to the part of your lungs that absorbs oxygen, alcohol only damages your liver if you drink in excess... moderation is key with alcohol. Sadly, most people can't control themselves when in the presence of alcoholic beverages. Honestly anything in excess can kill you, even water and regular food. Oxygen also can kill you... the majority of our atmosphere is actually nitrogen.

• Intensity and frequency are important to consider.

One night of extreme drinking results in death, however smoking a whole pack of cigarettes in an hour won't kill you.

Frequently smoking over a continuous time period will eventually result in systematic organ failure.

While Frequent drinking in low intensity, one standard drink, poses little threat to the longevity of the health of the liver.

There many factors to consider depending on the habits of the user.

• If we are taking about heavy usage: Alcohol mainly because it can completely destroy you in a relatively short period of time, but smoking has more indirect and long-term consequences (second-hand smoke, cancers, COPD).

What's also harmful about alcohol is how much we worship it as a society and the sheer peer-pressure involved to start drinking among younger people.

• Depends on a few factors

1) If it's one person or multiple taken into account
    2) What you smoke
    3) What you drink
    4) Long term effects
    5) Effects on the mind

Assuming cigarettes and budlight overnight without exposure to others, You'll almost never die from smoking. It's quite possible to drink yourself to death though in one sitting

• They're pretty equally harmful just in different ways, smoking affects the lungs and mouth while alcohol affects the brain and kidneys.

• Over half of people who smoke will die because of it.
    Cancer
    Stillbirths, Miscarriages and low birth weights
    Heart disease
    The list goes on.

• What kind of smoking?

Cigars and/or even natural cigarettes are a lot less harmful than your average mass produced ones. Plus they won't cause you to get into a car accident like alcohol.

• You have a 100% chance of dying from smoking if you don't die from something else first.

There is no such certainty to alcohol in moderation, provided you don't drink too much.

• Alcohol, it can kill you far more quickly, and an alcohol addiction is much worse than a nicotine one.

• By itself? Smoking, I'd say, since secondhand smoke. When you factor in that people get drunk and drive... probably changes it a lot.

• Smoking. It is a fact.

• Quitting drinking was a walk in the park compare to quitting smoking. Drinking only took twice. Smoking took five times. by the way, today is my 32 anniversary of
    quitting alcohol. I'm proud of that.

• Smoking definitely

• Specifically smoking cigarettes.

Cigars, pipes and weed are pretty safe.

• I think they might be pretty equal. Both are linked to cancer among other things.

• tachincaly speaking alcohol since it damages your brain too.

• My mother is currently pissed and puking her innards out, so I'm favouring B.

• I don't think one is more harmful than the other. They are equally harmful.

• Alcohol.

• Smoking for sure. It damages your lungs and can cause smokers cough.

• smoking.

• try to avoid both

• Smoking.

• Health freaks who bash people when they smoke or drink... they're definitely way more harmful and annoyin' as well...

• In moderation - smoking is worse
    Heavy abuse - alcohol is worse

• Apples and Oranges

• Lol i know :D

• *it much depends on what you mean by harm, eg. tobacco causes very little violence incidents or road fatalities.

• More from Guys
    1