Today is my birthday and i'm feeling depressed. What can I do to make things better?

Today is my birthday and i'm not feeling it all, i'm feeling depressed and my parents do not care, i was wondering what things can i do to make it better? i'm just feeling really down.

Most Helpful Girl

• First remind yourself why you're depressed in

1
    2
    3

Forget about it. There are people out there who are hell of a lot worse off than you, that usually lifts my spirits, telling myself this during dark times kept me from being depressed. What I usually do is take a nap for half an hour, watch a funny movie or a movie I've never seen (something I know nothing about, a film that'll keep me guessing or just making things feel fresh), go and have a shower or hot bath, write a story and post it online, talk to somebody or something, cook or bake something (don't eat), do some workout videos from YouTube (you've got the Internet, might as well do something with it), go out for a walk. There's so many things you can do to make you feel better.

I hope you're not expecting sympathy, because I will be honest, I won't. Unless you can give me a pretty darn "hard life" story that will make me think otherwise, which I doubt, because I know people who have shitty lives but still get on with their lives. I know people who live in grass huts and barely have 1 meal a day, people who don't have anything under their feet... these people don't sit around and feel sorry for themselves and want people to feel sorry for them. They get out there and continue living.

Just think about it. What good is that "feeling" you got right now doing for you? It's your birthday, at least you're still alive. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be emotional, but being depressed and telling strangers about it is about as useful as smoking a cigarette while riding a motorcycle.

But if you're still depressed after reading this, or angry, then dude... I don't know what else to say.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• Listen to your favorite band! That always makes me feel at least a little better. You could also see if any of your friends feel like doing something to celebrate.

• Don't worry. I'm sure you will have happier days in the future. Just be grateful for what you have and enjoy yourself :)

What Guys Said 1