Have you ever been in an emotionally abusive relationship?

If so, what was he/she like when you first met them, and did the emotional abuse escalate to physical abuse? How did you know it was emotional abuse?-signs

Thank you. Please share you experiences.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. She separated from her husband because he was "too controlling." So we started dating and it soon became apparent that she was the one who was the controlling one. I lived in the area for far longer that she did, yet she felt she needed to give me driving directions, even to my own house. She complained because I wouldn't exceed the speed limit, which was really funny when I passed by her one day on the interstate while a cop had stopped her for speeding. He husband found out we were dating and didn't care. I think he was happy to pawn her off onto someone else. She would literally call me 15-20 times a day, every day. She even got fired from her job for making too many personal phone calls. I warned her it would happen but she ignored me. We broke up soon after, but she kept trying to contact me. I came very close to having to obtain a restraining order against her. I found out later that her kids were taken away from her and placed with their grandparents because she tried to strangle her oldest son to death. Bullet dodged. :-/

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I have been. Things were better when we first got together, but his own mental issues got worse as time went on. I was blamed for many things, put down often, etc... It never hit the physical abuse level thankfully.

What Guys Said 1

• Eh... not abusive, but definitely dramatic and manipulative. I made excuses for her behavior; I lied so much about it to myself that I believed myself. Therefore, I unfortunately didn't truly realize it until it was too late.

What Girls Said 1

• Yes and it didn't last long... about 3 months. The first couple months I kept giving the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't doing it intentionally but as time went on it became increasingly clear that he was an emotionally manipulative dick.