What do you think of fan fiction?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never been fond of it primarily because anything created is not canonical so two fans could write stories that are logically mutually exclusive. However, if there is some consistency (for example, when licensed), then it becomes canonical.

That said, anything that encourages writing and develops writing skills is a good thing. There weren't PCs when I was in high school and, had there been, maybe I would've written fan fiction too.

So, I am fine with fan fiction to develop the craft of writing. As that gets better, I'd encourage the author to write their wholly-own stories with their own characters and universe.

• Just wondering, @asker, fan fiction for what? What are you a fan of that you would write fiction for?

In Hollywood, and sometimes in the literary world, someone will design a universe of characters and places in which a group of writers then write. For instance, in television, there is typically a Bible for a show which lays out the character backgrounds, etc. From there, the writers then write the stories that get filmed into TV shows.

In fiction, I remember "Isaac's Universe" in which Isaac Asimov set down some rules for a science fiction universe. From that, SF writers wrote short stories about that universe.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac's_Universe

• @asker, I was confused by your reply regarding anime...

• they are fan fiction about anime too

Most Helpful Girl

• I love fanfiction. Like some of the fics I've read are better than canon T-T

What Guys Said 9

• Not really a 'fan' of fan fiction!

• To be honest, the majority of it is an abomination.

Robin Hobb has a lot of good points on it: http://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Fan_Fiction_Rant

• As long as there's no forced seduction (aka romanticized rape). I mean, have you seen some of these fanfics? It's practically an epidemic.

• It's a bit weird but hey if it's hot then I can't complain :D

• I don't even know what that is.

• It's a story fan write about anime, video games, they like

• sounds cool

• yea, that's pretty cool and they have a lot of them too

• As long as its not a pono I'm fine

• I used to read and write loads in middle school (before I found porn online)

• I love it people write exacly what your thinking a lot of the time

• Not too fan to be honest, A lot are lame.

• not all some are cool

What Girls Said 3

• Read it all the time

• A great quirky medium just like fan porn art.

• Ehhhh.
    A friend of mine writes and I enjoy reading it though
    Besides hers I have no interest