Dog I'm babysitting keeps biting me when I help him get onto the couch or bed?

So I'm "dog" sitting a male dog and he's cute mostly. However sometimes when I'm watching tv or chilling on the bed he wants to jump up. I can tell he wants to get on but he's too small to be able to do so by himself. So then when I help him get on by picking him up gently he bites me really hard on my hand!!! After that he's all happy and cheerful and lays down very relaxed. :/ There has been 2 occassiosn where he didn't but majority of the time he does and it's starting to piss me off because I either have to deal with him staring at me or scratching at me wanting to be picked up OR I get bitten on my hand.

I'm pretty sure my handling technique is fine as he did the same bite thing with my mother too when she picked up him onto the bed. I really don't know what his problem is :/

Most Helpful Guy

• When my dog was a pup he would bark at me when I tried to stroke him. To combat this I would grab him by the scruff of the neck and tap him on the nose whilst staring at him in the eyes until he looked away. I made sure that I never looked away first because this is a sign of submission and the dog would think that he is hierarchically above you.

You need to let the dog know that you're boss. When he is eating, take his food away from him at put it on the kitchen counter. Wait for a few minutes and then put it back. I used to do this with my dog and now at 27 months he is very obedient and always obeys my commands.

Most Helpful Girl

• Little yappy dogs, for some Reason of their own Sassy Season, are Either All for you to Pick them Up Or Object when they Are... Gently picked up.
    The Best from the Rest is to let him go, don't try and and lift him or wear a pair of gloves if you decide t let him have his own way to Lay.
    Who knows what goes on behind closed doors with Him and the Owner, @XRabbitHeartX Perhaps there is Someone in the House who is treating him like a naughty Mouse and it is Showing his bad side here, dear.
    And of course Now that he knows he has the upper Paw and All, can sense you are a bit nervous, he Knows it and Shows it.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 13

• you are going to have to pin the dog like they do in the wild. dont hurt the dog just pin the dog down untill it give up or starts to relax. it will teach him you are boss with out hurting them. we had the same problem with one of our dogs when it though it was boss and thats what a trainer had us do

• The best thing to do is to create a ramp or a step and use food/snacks to get him to use the ramp to get where he needs to go.

I don't think it's your handling skills but the dog has an issue with being touched a certain way.

• Catch his mouth and hold it shut when he tries to bite. Hold it closed for a few seconds. This won't hurt him but it will be uncomfortable. Do this consistently and he will stop as he won't like the consequence.

• You need to say "No." in the deepest (not loudest) voice you can to him when he does that.

Do you know if the owners let the dog sit on the couch? If he bites then stop helping him he needs to know that biting doesn't give him positive results.

• Give him a little noninjurous slap when he does that.

• Sometimes when dogs piss me off which is very rare, I pick them up by their scruff. Which is essentially their loose skin behind their back

• he's just embarrassed that he's so tiny. he wants you to think that he doesn't need you while he actually does.

• The problem is that he hasn't been trained properly. You will find the answers you seek on youtube.

• Is the dog a pup? That's what it kinda sounds like to me. Bop him on the nose next time he bites you and say "NO"

• Just don't attempt to help it.

• you always have to be a leader to a dog
    when u are to soft in your voice and be not strong enough the dog is leading you! This happend yet.

• You shouldn't let a dog on your couch or bed.

• This is a puppy, yes?

First of, pick him up the right way and that won't happen. Your hand goes under his frontlegs and against his belly. Second hand on the butt as support (not lifting).

Secondly, puppies like biting. Its a healthy behavior. If it is not it is certainly fueled by your being uncertain and agitated. Dogs are more keen on picking up human emotions than humans are. Be solid and clear. If he bites, correct him. Redo. Correct. Won't take that many tries until he doesn't. But I do repeaT: This is healthy puppy behavior. If he's a puppy, let him bite.

What Girls Said 6

• He probably doesn't like being lifted off the floor in mid air where his feet don't touch the ground. Or he could be scared of heights.

Try putting a stool near the chair so he can climb up onto the couch/bed himself. Like build him a mini staircase to where he wants to go. That may help

• Maybe he doesn't like being touched where you're grabbing him. Is there any little stepstool you can put near the couch instead? That way, he can just climb up onto it.

• Maybe he has a sore where y'all are grabbing him?

• I thought about that too but we've tried several different positions on him when handling and he still does it. :(

• Could be this too. My dog yelped because he did his back

• Where are your hands going when you pick him up. Some don't like buts touched some don't like your hands being underneath, etc. try different ways

• go with the booty chest's advice

• Probably has hip problem or some other sort of problem that when you pick him up its hurting him so he nips you. That or you're getting too close to his genitals and he's just warning you...