Favourite rock (or mineral?)?

My favourite rock (It's actually a mineral but y'know): Labradorite! (Ca, Na)(Si, Al)4O8
Favourite rock (or mineral?)?
*waits for someone to say (Mg, Fe2+)2(Mg, Fe2+)5Si8O22(OH)2*

• I have a favourite rock, which I will promptly show you!
  • I don't have a favourite rock because I am a dirty scrub
  • Slaty cleavage

Most Helpful Girl

• Tigers Eye and Black Onyx

The first due to a childhood obsession. The second for its properties. They may not be true, but i believe in the placebo effect and i can use all the stress relief i get.

Most Helpful Guy

• Limiting it to rocks that I've easily found just laying around, I always liked obsidian, because of the smooth glassy black surface. I also liked finding pumice when I was a kid, because a rock floating rock is fascinating for a kid.

I also like sandstone and basic quartz of many colors. If fossils count, I like fossils. Where I live I can go out and pick up fossils any time I want. They are mostly small sea plants, small twigs, and a few small low life forms. Sorry, no dinosaur bones around here :) not that I know of anyway. (but I've been to Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado)

And can't forget petrified wood. Petrified Forest in Arizona is really cool. There are petrified logs in other places in the US also, like Yellowstone for example.

Not the best example. but...
    en.wikipedia.org/.../...ari-Obsidienne_%285%29.jpg

What Girls Said 7

What Guys Said 6

• An interesting thread, I must add!

• Can I just name an element because bismuth is amazing

• Favorite rock? Well that would be Classic Rock of course lol. I'd have to go with Tungsten.

• I'm cumming tonight and I hope you are too.

• Do those rocks have any special abilities? I've heard about healin' abilities and such...

• Well if you believe in spiritualism and all that stuff, I guess they do.
      ecx.images-amazon.com/.../..._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
      I have this book, which gives you all the info on each rock, including all the spiritual stuff. It seems to go into quite a lot of detail. I mean, you have to believe in that stuff in the first place though.

• I do actually... I believe in alternative medicine...

• Fair enough. I'm not discrediting it or anything, I thought you meant crystals in general, not labradorite specifically :)

What one site said:
      "A stone of transformation, Labradorite is a useful companion through change, imparting strength and perseverance. It balances and protects the aura, raises consciousness and grounds spiritual energies. Excellent for strengthening intuition - promoting psychic abilities. Powerful in revealing the truth behind illusions, Labradorite banishes fears and insecurities, and strengthens faith in the self and trust in the universe. It stimulates the imagination and calms an overactive mind, developing enthusiasm and new ideas.

Labradorite treats disorders of the eyes and brain, stimulates mental acuity, and relieves anxiety and stress. It regulates metabolism, balances hormones and relieves menstrual tension. Labradorite treats colds, gout, and rheumatism, lowers blood pressure, and aids in digestion."