Do you say 'im going to The University' or 'I'm going to University'?

Do you put a 'the' in that stement or no?

Most Helpful Guy

• They have two different meanings.

What are you doing with yourself now that you are out of high school?
    "I'm going to University".

Where did you say you were going after breakfast?
    "I'm going to the University".

'going to University', as a phrase, usually refers to University in a general sense.

'going to THE University' generally refers to the actual physical place, the specific University, at one specific place.

It's sort of similar to the difference between "I'm going to work" and "I'm going to the office". Work is just... work, in a general sense. The office is the specific place. And people use it even if they don't work in an office.

• Still though people in other countries still never put 'the' in front of it even in the 2nd example

• i just see it happen here a lot. sounds weird and off to me... but yeah it happens

• im guess it happens more with those where English is not their first language

What Girls Said 24

• If you're talking about the physical location, use "the" - like "I'm on my way over to the university". If you're talking about it as something you're doing in general (like "I'm in school right now") you'd say "I'm going to university".

• I don't use the word "the."

• Hmm, I really wouldn't say that anyway. I would say, I'm going to (insert name of school). I wouldn't say university, college, high school, etc. I say the name of the school, shortened version, ex) LSU vs the entire thing.

And I wouldn't say uni or anything because I'm not European.

• who the hell says the former? lol
    but yeah i say 'I'm goin to uni'.

• I usually just say I'm going to school or college lol but if I have to choose between the two, I say the one without the "the".

• I say 'I'm going to uni' :)

• "I'm going to University" or "I'm going to Uni"

• Je vais à l'Université/ Fac BAM problem solved, just say it in French lol ! But seriously though, if I have to say it in English, I'll say, 'I'm going to Uni/I'm going to University" :)

• Whats the difference!

• I say I'm going to uni lol

• Been there done that.. But I used to say I'm going to college.

• I used to say "I'm going to school/class" or say "Going to uni".

• Usually I will just say I'm going to 'UNI'. Most people understand it.

• Neither. I just call it college or school. I don't think I've ever referred to it as "university".

• I always add the "the"

As in THE Spurs!!! @suitandtie 😝

• the second aha
    though when i actually go, it's more "im going to class"

• I say that I'm going to school or college.

• I am going to university

• I'm going to THE university. I have no clue why though.

• No, it's "I'm going to uni"

• I just say I'm going to uni

• Does anyone actually say "the" university?

• School! I never said uni or university

If people asked what school I go to, then I'd say the name of uni. But I'd just say bye I'm going to school.

• If i'm not mistaken...
    I'm going TO University like saying I'm going to College or I'm going to win.

while...
    I'm going to THE university saying your going there now and saying a specific place. as in I'm going to the library or I'm going to the gym to exercise.

What Guys Said 22

• I would say I am going to school. Never have said university in place of school. If I am going to specify which school, then I would say I am going to the University. Why? I don't know. School is a noun that is a place. So is store. I would say I am going to the store, never that I am going to store.

• Neither. I call it college. Only non-Americans and worldlier-than-thou bros like @ConsultantIsBack call it "university." Most of us Americans are just savages I guess😔

• Up my way, people (of all ages) would just say they are going to 'the U'.

We will hold on to that definite article like grim death even as the word 'university' gets stripped down to only one letter.

• @ConsultantIsBack You gotta say it like "MO-byle" too😂
      www.mtv.com/.../forgetting-sarah-marshall.jhtml

• @gray_sailor Yeah, I went to "UMass", same deal, I guess I just mean that I'd say "I went to college at UMass." U-Dub just has a nice ring to it, I'd roll with that too if I went there. And W is definitely a weird letter, haha.

• that sounds like what i hear a lot of non-Americans say... not saying it's bad just i don't hear many Americans say it

I just said, "i'm going to college"

• I've always just said "I'm going to work in the shoe-tree factory", and avoided the dilemma altogether.

• I am all about the use of the definite article wrt making reference to specific Universities.
    (I feel the same way about hospitals.)

• I'm an American and like all Americans I say the hospital or the university

• I use "the" before university. But I think our British friends drop the "the."

• Why not say Uni is going to get its ass kicked by me

• To University. There's more than one.

• Neither because I go to an institution.

• I don't include that extra the.

• i'm going to college or i'm in school

• I just say college.

• "Going to Uni".

• If I'm just saying that I say "I'm going to University", but if I'm saying where I go I'll say "I'm going to the University of Hull". Of course, being northern, I quite often say "I go to University of Hull". The "the" is there, it's just silent.

• I m attending university

• I am going to University is the more correct English

• Not needed in this case.

• neither because i dont go to university xD

• Going to University. And I also say going to hospital instead of going to the hospital.

• If that's the whole sentance, the latter.

If you mean 'im going to (the) university of Gagia' either.

I'd say that "I'm going to the university of Gagia' flows better than no 'the', while if you used a short form, you'd say 'I m going to UGaG

• Depends what you mean. The phrases don't have the exactly the same meaning.

"I'm going to University" is the more commly used of the phrases though in my experience