Can you die from being tasered?

This guy from my school brought his dad's taser to school today (he's a cop so yeah) and his friends were getting tasered just for fun. My guy friend did it several times for a few seconds. My friend asked if I would do it at the same time with her and I said I would tomorrow so the guy will take it to school again.
I'll make them promise it'll only be for like a second, but I googled this and it seems like it could cause a heart attack or even cardiac arrest but I don't have any heart problems that I know of. Could I possibly die from this? I don't know how many volts it is, either.

By the way, you are free to share how stupid you think I am, but this is still a serious question.

Most Helpful Guy

• Cops kill a dozen or so people a year with tasers, so, yes. Now, keep in mind that if they didn't have tasers, they'd likely end up shooting these people, and far, far more of the recipients would die, so tasers still save thousands of lives every year. That doesn't make them harmless, though.

• While it is true, I think you also have a logical fallacy in there. The thing is Tasers are usually not lethal so cops are way more likely to pull a taser than shooting a gun. So saying they would shoot everyone with a gun that they shoot with a taser sounds quite wrong.

• @FakeName123 I agree that that's true, but it's also true that police are (correctly) trained to only pull their taser when they have another cop (or cops) available with a gun. Less-lethal weapons are a privilege that cops have when they already have control of the situation with lethal force. Generally, if they are alone or are outnumbered, they aren't pulling their taser.

So, while *every* taser use wouldn't otherwise be a gun pull (sometimes the cop isn't in any danger himself, but he can't control the suspect), the majority ARE. And that means a lot more suspects would likely end up getting shot.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 29

• Yes you can. About ten years ago this was all over the news here because some police killed a guy in the airport with a taser, and someone caught it on film. Turns out it was the 16th death following the police use of tasers in only 4 years.

So... yes, you totally can die from it.

• Yes you can. Plus, many (most?) school districts consider it a deadly weapon that you can be punished for bringing to school.

• yes it is potentially fatel and has been labeled as "less leathel" rather then "non leathel" due to the issues of heart conditiones as you pointed out. However if you are fine then you should probably have no issue as every police officer as part of their training gets tasered, ie its a rare occurence that it is leathel and its as you stated only for those with a heart condition or the elderly.

• Yes you can. To be fair you can die from pretty much anything if you have a health issue that you don't' know about. However even excluding health issues a taser can stop the heart of a healthy person, especially if they do it for too long.

• Be dry, and mid-jump when tased. It will reduce the pain of shock. Don't get tased if soaked, the lowered ohms of resistance of wet skin vs. dry is in the thousands, and you could die from that.

• While it is still considered dangerous, it's usually not something that will stop your heart. Very few people have died from tasers. There's a reason they have these things. They don't necessarily want to kill people, just temporarily disable them. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as someone has a cellphone. BUT you really should have an adult present, just in case something goes wrong and your friends don't do what they need to do.

• In the US, when they first brought out pepper spray, it was alcohol-based. Whoever procured that for the police didn't do their homework. There was an incident whereby a violent male didn't comply with a police officer's request, he was pepper sprayed, but being a big guy, he didn't go down and continued being a threat. He was then tasered, which set him alight...

• Yes, it happens more often than you'd think.
    Its more likely to do damage on small or older people, or those with weaker hearts. Police issue tasers are pretty powerful.
    Basically, not smart to do it for fun. If you want a shock, lick your fingers and grab the terminals on a car battery. 20x that and you're getting close to what a taser puts out.

• No that's just for people who have hearts that are very weak or at risk. You should be fine. It's going to be the longest second of your life.

• Yes. If you're tased for too long with a high enough amp you can die. If you're a smaller person or older or have a weak heart those all make it more likely.
    Could be a simple you got tased, you fall and hit your head on a rock and die.

• Yes, you can die from being Tasered.
    www.washingtonpost.com/.../

• Since you don't know if you have any heart problems... don't risk it. And why do you want to get tasered? This is just pointless... and this kid can't just go around tasing people.

• It's 50 thousand volts and it can absolutely stop a person's heart it's as dangerous as a firearm and in Australia it's highly illegal for anyone but police and private security to have one

they are more regulated than guns here for

• rarely.

i use to have one and use to taze myself and friends for fun.

over clothes it just hurts i can't see it killing me whatsoever

• People have died from it.

• Yes... cardiac arrest...

I had a really strong stun gun before and when my buddies and I had a drunken night we tried it out on each other and my friend said his chest didn't feel right for a few days.

• yes you can die from it. and some people have

• If you have an undiagnosed heart condition then you can definitely die from being tased

• Wow... teenagers,...

• I'm an Electrician. And YES you can die a horrible death from a taser!!! Not something to mess with! Cops in my hometown killed a guy with one a few years ago.

• yes you can if tazed a bunch of times.

• Pretty sure you can, specially if you have a heart condition.

• I got tased 2 in a row n it didn't hurt lster they said it wasn't charged.. but ya it was a huge fight after they tased me

• Wow you guys are dumbfucks LMFAO

• You can die if the voltage is high enough

• Yes you can, and it is a stupid thing for Policemen and Security Guards to be able to freely use.

• Yes. You can get killed. Complain your principal right through to be safe.

• his dad will get fired from his job. not likely to kill though

What Girls Said 6

• It's illegal to bring a taser to school, as it's considered a weapon. It's actually illegal to use a cop's weapon in the first place, or anyones weapon unless you're defending yourself. If someone gets hurt, his father will be the one getting in trouble, not just him. Tasers are dangerous and have killed people. They are meant to hurt, and stun, they aren't toys.

You can't even legally carry a taser for protection in most states.

• I don't think so because code use it all the time lol and their tasers I'm sure pack some pretty high voltage

• Don't do it, what the heck is wrong with this generation, who in the world thought that was a good idea? I would tell the school about it tbh, it's a weapon, not a toy.

• yup. stay away from that stuff

• This is fucking stupid

• yes it is possible