Laptop help please?

I am going into architecture in the fall, and I was looking at laptops, (I live in canada) So is this a decent laptop for the price, or should I get a different one and wait until "back to school sales"

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V3-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.326892300

Most Helpful Girl

• Why such low memory if you're in architecture? I mean I think you'll need a bit more space not unless you're going to have an external drive. Acer is a decent brand. So are HP and Dell.

• Yep, I should get 16 GB. What specs do you think I should get?

6th gen i7 and 16gb...

• If you're doing essays you can store them on another drive if you don't really want them taking any space. CAD the program by itself on instillation is 3gb on 32 bit and 8gb on 64 bit from what I've read. I'm just saying bc I'm a person that stores a lot of photos, music, animation and games so I got a laptop with 700gb and I still have an external drive or two for transferring stuff around. If you think about it something like the sims On install it's 2gb ram and recommend of 10gb disk space and once you add saved content depending on how much you do that's like 20gb for disk space and probably and extra gig or two for ram. So it really depends on how much you think you'll be doing.

Most Helpful Guy

• Think about how you will use it. Architecture will require a lot of graphic work and how do you display that? If the display is a small laptop, it will be hard to see. If it is large, it will be hard to carry around. You could use an external monitor at times for a larger picture. If you end up thinking you will not be carrying it around that much, consider a desktop. However, you may find that you will need to carry it around and go with the laptop.

The drives in the computers you have been looking at will likely be more than enough. Especially since so much of the computer world is turning to storage in the cloud.

16 GB of RAM is sufficient. For speed, SSD is preferred.

For a good look at the computing needs of Architectural students, please see aap.cornell.edu/.../student-laptop

What Girls Said 1

• Laptops tend to be cheaper around September August so I'd wait. I'd also pass on the Acer. Think about what kind of computer will last you the next five+ years. Not just what you can get by with.

• Ya, that's kind of what I was thinking.. What brand/model you think i should get?

• no... I just forgot to paste it -_- haaha
      www.microsoftstore.com/.../productID.331152600

• Once again:
      I wouldn't buy an acer
      I'd shop from the brand's store and not microsoft

I also don't really see the point in "gaming" laptops since you can't replace the parts easily and they eon't be good for gaming in a few years. You're better off getting a regular computer and a console.

What Guys Said 3

• Personally I much prefer Hewlett Packard laptops for many reasons. I think you should look into how old the models are and when the new models are coming out.

• I noticed someone has said Hewlett Packard laptops tend to have cooling issues. I have not seen this anymore with Hewlett Packard than any other brand. Any laptop will have cooling problems if the fan is blocked and full of dust. I don't see it more of a problem with Hewlett Packard than any other brand.

• In my opinion Hewlett Packard and Apple are by far the best.

• I would highly reccomend you stay away from Samsung and Sony laptops. I know a friend with a Samsung and it did not last 5 minutes and another friend with a Sony that did not last 5 minutes.

• That is not to bad of a price tho.. I paid that much for mine.. but it did already have windows 7 built into it.. its a great computer.. best of luck to you in architecture

• If you don't know your computers, buy a mac. When things go wrong and turning it off and turning it back on again doesn't work, there's the genius bar to back you up.

• I have a Mac and while they are great they are not perfect.

• @Applefan1 They're far from perfect, but like I said, it's all about the genius bar.