How did you learn to ride a bike?

How did you learn to ride a bike?
How old were you
Who taught you
where'd you learn
and howd it go

I think i was like 7
My dad taught me
we were at the park
and he didn't teach me how to stop so i had to end up hopping off while i was in the grass

i wasn't hurt but he wouldn't stop laughing at me

Most Helpful Girl

• I was 5 and had a 3 wheeler. got a 2 wheeler when I was 8 it was my step dad who picked me up and dusted me off encouraging me to try again

Most Helpful Guy

• I think I was about 3 when I rode my first bike but that one still had stabilizers. When I was around 5, my parents told me that it's time to get rid of the stabilizers and that I have to learn how to ride a real bike.
    My dad would push me, so I could pick up some speed and I basically just had to learn how to balance myself. I'm sure I fell a few times but I eventually figured it out ;-). I didn't have to use my feet to brake since I had proper hand brakes.

Being able to ride a bike is considered incredibly important in my country. Along with Denmark and the Netherlands, my country Switzerland is a total bicycle-country. Practically every adult person owns a bike (some even own two) and a majority of people use their bike on a regular basis. Almost all kids/teenagers go to school by bike and many adults go to work or shopping by bike as well. Cars are by far not as important as in the US or Canada. For traveling inside the city, the bicycle is considered THE number one transportation method. It's fast, practical, CO2-emission free and you don't need to search for a parking lot. We have bicycle lanes on practically every road/street in every city, so it's also not very dangerous. I still use my bike every single day. I live with my girlfriend and neither of us has a driver's license for a car or motorbike. Thus, we do everything by bike. When we go to university on weekdays, we ride our bikes to the train station where we park them and take the train. We ride them to go shopping or to meet friends or to go on a date... my bike is literally my second girlfriend ;-). That is also why I take great care of it and make sure it runs smoothly.

• Wow I didn't know bike's were that important

What Girls Said 4

• I think I was around 7 when I learned how to ride a bike. My Dad taught me in the street. I would pedal and he pushed the back of my bike so I can go fast and then he let go and told me to keep pedaling. Of course I knew already how to use my breaks if I needed to.

• you're lucky to have breaks
      i had to learn to use my feet as breaks lol

• it was one of those bikes where you have to pedal backwards to break or something like that i didn't know how to do that
      and it didn;t have hand brakes

• Yeah that's the kind of bike I had, back pedal breaks

• I think I was 4 or 5 when I first learned and it was on the sidewalk. I learned how to stop the same way you did and sort of scuffing my shoes on the pavement of grass wasn't nearby. I fell on my side with the bike and bruised my ribs. It took me a few tries to go in a straight line. Now I know how to ride one like a pro lol xD after countless scrapes and bruises. To this day, I'm still afraid of going by bushes or shrubs for some odd reason.

• yeah i still use my feet sometimes today because thats what im used to
      and i recently fell like almost a year ago trying to ride with no hands
      i can do it if im going really fast

• My dad just took off my training wheels one day so if I wanted to ride I'd have to learn.

• -I was 6 years old.
    - My dad taught me
    - We were at the parking lot of a deserted local church
    - I fell many times and I have a few scars on my knees

• the moment my dad told me to slow down i knew i was going to fall
      so i went to the grass and jumped
      i had 1 scratch but it healed

What Guys Said 9

• Started with stabilisers at 4 and my dad took me out with the dog. After a few months he removed them and I braked with my shoes to avoid falling over lol. At about 6 i was allowed to play outside with other kids, so rode my bike pretty much every day.

• lucky
      my dad was a jack a**
      my first time he explained it to me and helped me but eventuallly he would just push me hard as soon as i got on and laughed when i fell

• I learnt it very late at the age of 10
    With other friends younger to me
    At my church courtyardcourtyard
    I did it well but no one was there to see me

• If this includes tricycles, I'd say about 4 or 5 maybe.

• I Think I was like 7 or 8... My dad taught me
    I remember falling on the ground and ran back home to safety xD

But he kept trying, and I'm glad he did, I still love going by bike today. I went home from school by bike just now actually.

• wait
      he left you on the floor and ran home for help

• Yeah
      By the way, thanks for bringing up the good memories :)
      I love my parents

• ha
      welcome

• LOL the gif dude xd

1. 4
    2. Granddad
    3. Scotland
    4. Learnt it in one day. I even "practiced" falling off then -_- kids... haha

• Dad took my out to a park and forced me to ride around a bit. Did it on the grass at first because he knew I'd fall over a lot.

• I never had the opportunity to learn. We never lived in a place with good bike terrain, and even then my bikes kept breaking on me.

• I honestly don't recall. I was probably around 4 or 5 when I learned to ride a bike.

• i would've failed hundreds of times at 4

• I probably did. I don't remember being taught.

• ill probably forget in time too

• Your mommy. Same as the rest of the kids in your neighbourhood.
    badassmemes.com/.../moms-a-slut.jpg