Is it wrong to have a crush on your'e blood related cousin?

Well ever since i was 5 years old I've hade a huge crush on my blood related 3rd cousin and i just dont know if thats wrong because were blood related or somethimg, but i just really want to know if its wrong or if its ok!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on what the laws in your state say. First cousin marriage is legal in around half of the U. S. states. The reason it's a taboo is because the risk of having a baby with defects or genetic abnormalities increases. However. This taboo is taken to great lengths. People expect that if first cousin's have babies, the babies will inevitably come out retarded or defectual. This isn't the case. The chance of defects doubles, in percentage. The normal percentage is around 3% chance of defects. When first cousins have babies, the chance is 7%. So while it's doubling the figure, 7% is still quite low.

When you take it to a 3rd cousin, if the risk of defect increases at all, it's probably by like 1%. Not much at all. And if half the U. S. states say it's okay for 1st cousins to marry and have kids, then I can only imagine that it's legal almost in all of them for 3rd cousins.

But. Is it morally "wrong"? I don't think so. It's just a social taboo. You should determine whether or not it's wrong *to you*. It's inevitable that each individual will agree with some social standards and disagree with others. You just have to think about the pros and the cons, and your positions, yourself.

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's your third cousin it's not big deal

What Guys Said 11

• I don't think it's wrong. I've had a crush on one of my cousins for my whole life. Back when I was a teenager, I also sometimes thought of her when masturbating (admittedly, she does look freaking hot). In my experience, you can't really control who you lust for and who you fall in love with.

• Depends on where you live.

Hahaha... sorry, had to make my daily hillbilly joke.

On a more serious note, some states have laws against that kind of relationship. And society kind of frowns on it in general. I personally say go for it, society can go screw itself.

• We got crushes on all kinds of people. I think it's fine to have a crush on cousins but going further than that is... probably not okay.

• It depends on the culture. In the US it's very frowned upon, but there's still lots of other third-world cultures who practice cosanguial relationships (including marriage and children).

• If it's your third cousin, I don't think that's wrong. First cousin? Absolutely. Even second cousin is borderline yes/no.

• I don't see anything wrong with it; it's just a bit of societal taboo. Hopefully your families think so, too. :-) And hopefully he feels the same. :-]

And if it did, say, work out.. there are almost no genetic problems even with the 1st cousins' kids, let alone 3rd (so it's safe). There's a NY Times article about it.. nytimes. com/2002/04/04/us/few-risks-seen-to-the-children-of-1st-cousins. html

Also this: gizmodo. com/5905596/relax-its-totally-cool-to-get-with-your-cousin-says-author

• That's very true. In fact, new scientific research shows that even reproduction among siblings is not very dangerous in terms of genetic mutations. It only becomes genetically problematic if incest happens in the second generation as well. If a brother and a sister have kids together but these kids go on to reproduce with non-related partners, the risk of having a handicapped child is not much larger than for "normal" relationships. In fact, there is a brother-sister couple in Germany and they live together and have 4 kids and non of these kids are disabled. I'm not trying to advertise incestuous relationships but I also think people should keep it real. Much of the hysterical danger warnings have more to do with social stigmas than with actual biology. It's a bit like homosexuality back in the 1980s when people used to claim that being gay is very bad cuz it will just get you infected with HIV.

• @abundantlyrich You shouldn't confuse voluntary relationships between consenting adults with child molestation. It's very unfortunate that the media in many countries tend to throw child molestation into the same pot as a incestuous relationship between consenting adults.
      Obviously, child molestation is a serious crime in all developed countries and I'm sure we can all agree that it should be a crime. However, I personally can't see why we shouldn't let siblings who fall in love be together if they want to. In Germany there is a famous case of a brother and sister living together. They're in love and they've been in a relationship for over 10 years. The boyfriend/brother has been to jail 4 times already because he's been prosecuted over and over again since relationships between blood-related people is prohibited under German law. I don't get that. We can have a discussion about whether siblings should be allowed to reproduce but this couple just wants to live together and

• be in love. That's all. They're both adults and I don't think the public has the right to peek into these people's bedroom and tell them that they can't be in love and can't have a relationship and can't have sex together. You might think it's gross and personally I also wouldn't want to date my sister but we shouldn't judge things on personal preference. I also wouldn't want to date another guy since I'm straight but that doesn't mean I can't support gay rights. So in a way, comparing child molestation to incestuous relationships between consenting adults is like comparing homosexuality to pedophilia. It doesn't really make sense.

• Yeda is wrong.. A word of advice..
    You are quite young so don't f*** with the family!

• Its okay, you'll get over that.

• Wrong? Well, no. Wise? no.

• No. In our country there's marriages within cousins. For us it's not a big deal.

• depends on your religion

What Girls Said 9

• Yes. It's wrong. Genetically speaking, you're still close enough to cause birth defects.

I'm guessing that nothing will happen because your family will keep you separate.

• It's fine if it's a third cousin, it's only a problem if it's your first cousin or sibling.

• I've had crushes on like two of my cousins because I didn't know we were related in the first place. When I found out we were 2nd or 3rd cousins I was like wtf & forgot about it. Just don't let it develop into something else.
    My cousin dated our 3rd cousin thugh, so that might be fine, I don't know.

• Yes it is wrong

• It's not considered wrong in the south haha
    Jk. Jokinggggg

• Harmless crush

• It's definitely wrong.

• Incest is common in white people

• You do know American society is hte only society that loks down on this
    worldwide many people married their cousins!