Confederate or Union?

Pretend it's 1861. The American Civil War just broke out; you have to pick a side. Do you fight with the Confederates and try to win Southern independence, or do join the Union and work put down the rebellion?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 2

• Union. Especially considering where I live was part of the Union. Though I have to admit the confederate's swords were cooler.

• Union for me obviously.

What Guys Said 15

• Confederacy. They were in the right and the north was wrong. I don't mean about slavery, obviously that's wrong. It was about who decides. Except it wasn't really about the north vs the south, it was about the southern states vs the feds. The northern states sided with the feds. The south were autonomous states and the feds had no business telling them what to do.

Sound familiar? The US government still likes to tell autonomous states what to do, and it pisses off people from all over the world. Slavery would have ended soon without the feds butting in.

When the federation was formed, slavery was allowed. If they didn't want it they could have done it then, but they didn't. So it became a state's right issue, not a federal issue. You can't make a Constitutional argument when they knew about and allowed slavery when the Constitution was formed. Since you can't justify it by the Constitution, then it MUST be the states to make the change because the federal government didn't have the authority.

• The Union, the Constitution and Bill of Rights!! Slavery was only ONE of the issues!! The BIGGEST ISSUE was: DO STATES HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO SECEDE from the UNION? The answer was NO!! Too many died for that, and preserving that Union, and it didn't have to happen!
    Too many focused on the 'Slavery' Issue, as the driving force, but it wasn't! It was about the Constitution, and Division of Powers!! State's Rights vs. Federal Rights to the Power that they had to share, and divide.
    I agree that Slavery is wrong, and that war was fought, partly, to secure those rights for those that could not fight for themselves (Slaves).

• I fight for the Rebel side the south

• I'd have to fight for the Confederacy. The USA isn't a middle ages kingdom where "The Peasants are revolting!" If some pieces of the USA decide to leave, they should have every right to.

• Confederate! The South will rise again!

• I would have to stand with the Confederacy.

• The union because slavery is wrong

• It was all about state-loyalty back then (Hence by decorated Union general, Robert Lee switched to the Confederate side immediately, as he was a Virginian), so I imagine it'd be completely determinant on which state I grew up and lived in.

• None, there were very high casualty rates and amputations in those days. The war was fought over differing economic interests between the industrial north, and the agricultural south. Every other issue was an extension of that battle, political power in congress, slavery, the 3/5ths compromise, etc. Simply put it's not a war I would have supported or would have fought in.

• Confederate. Its my history, i know its wrong but the union wasn't any better.

• The Union. because I'm a patriot

• Obviously the north

• I'll choose politics. I really don't like to fight in real. I'll make people fight.

• the north! crazy ass rednecks think that they can start their own nation are on ancient crack!

• Union since I'm American. Anyone who answers Confederates should go back to wherever their ancestors came from.