How to make a good steak?

I've only ever had steak one time in my life and I literally woke up and decided I wanted it for breakfast so went to the store and got one and cooked it up. It was very tough and not as tasty as I'd imagined. I'm gonna be alone all weekend so figured fuck them I'll make a tasty steak dinner and they'll be sad they missed out. My only issue is I don't really know the best way to make it as in like marinating it and how long and exactly how long to cook it and stuff or if I need to beat it to tenderize it. I have to have it well done as in no blood or red meat but I'd still like it to be tender and juicy. I know I don't like steak sauce so that option is out but I'm pretty much open to trying anything. I live in an apartment and don't have a grill so I'll be making it stove top or I guess the oven would be an option. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

Most Helpful Guy

• dude... marinate that thing... put some spice on it, and depending on the thickness, cook it but don't EVER make steak well done... thats why it was tough to eat.
    see beef or meat in general tends to cook itself after being taken off whatever cooking method you were using. ESPECIALLY steaks.
    now if you get like a NY strip or a good thick ribeye...
    -after spicing it up and oiling up the pan... heat up the oven to about 450 at this point.
    -then make sure the oil is hot.. to almost smoking
    -then put the steak in and let it sizzle on one side for about 8-15 seconds (carefully though, hot oil) then flip and repeat. this is called Searing, it locks the juices in.
    -then chuck it in the oven. i recommend 8 minutes...
    -if you bring it out... and poke a knife it it and spend it and the juices are still mostly red... put it back in for a couple more minutes.
    -at this point its medium rare... so bring it out and like i said previously, the meat will still be cooking itself... but won't get tough... so just enjoy.
    this is just the method i like using... its the fastest for me. there are other ones though... now no true steak eater eats a well-done steak and also without steak sauce... cuz we KNOW it will get tough when it cools.
    be sure to use a good sharp knife, have some good sides and for Lord's sake, get some damn steak sauce... i recommend A1, but someone introduced me to using Ranch... omg...

• I'll have to try this. I used to be vegetarian so that's why it's gotta be well done and not bloody or red because it makes me sick and I just can't eat it. Won't even eat anything on a bone and steak sauce was gross and gagged me. When I made it for breakfast that time it was tough and dry so I used ketchup which was pretty good. I've had steak like at McDonald's but that's not real steak like you get from the store. I ate that one I made but just wasn't as good as I thought and wanted to try again. Wish be was gonna be around to make on the grill.

• Sure that would be cool. I'm not much on cooking and usually things I know to make somehow get messed up. I once caught chips on fire in the oven, fell asleep making lasagna and overcooked it basically any time I start out cooking boyfriend takes over and does it for me but he's out of town and I'm on my own with this.

• meh you will be fine... the instructions are basically the same
      -preheat your oven to 350
      -still need a pan...
      -put some water in it, not a lot, just for it cover the base of the pan, id say fill it up to what you think might be about half of the steak's depth.
      -put in your spices (i always love onions in there too, better aroma)... or if you marinated it... substitute the water with the marinade..
      -toss it in the oven for about 15 mins...
      -pull out... flip... toss it back in for another 10-15 depending on how rare you want it.
      -remove and enjoy.
      you haven't lived till you eaten a medium rare steak with wide cut raw onions, habaneros or jalapeƱos and all with ranch... all kinds of sensations lol...

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. Dice (chop really small) 1 small onion and 1 clove of garlic put into bowl
    2. Add piece of steak to bowl
    3. Season with Teaspoon of dill, salt, basil and a quarter teaspoon of black pepper
    4. Add bbq sauce to bowl that has meat, veggies, and spices
    5. Let marinate for up to four hours
    Cooking instructions:
    1. Heat frying pan on medium heat w/ tablespoon of olive oil in it
    2. Once hot add Meat, veggies, etc. to the pan
    3. Cook each side for about 10 mins or until brown on each side
    4. Take out of pan and put into an oven safe container
    5. Put into oven on 350 degrees for about 30 mins
    6. Let sit for ten minutes before cutting into it
    7. Stuff your face while moaning with pleasure and satisfaction!!

Hope This Helps!

What Guys Said 13

• Well, firstly, "well done" is literally the description of a steak that has had all of the tenderness and juiciness cooked out of it, so you need to decide what you want, a dry steak or one that's got a little something left to it. I used to only like steak well done too, but with certain cuts of steak, it's just a waste. I'd say at least try medium-well done with a nice cut.

I usually buy beef tenderloin, and it's a little expensive, but goddamn is it good. For that, you want to have (preferably) a cast iron pan, or at least all metal, since it will eventually go in the oven. Start of by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and heat your cast iron pan at medium heat on the stovetop.

-Prep the steak with salt, pepper, maybe some garlic, and tap the spices into the meat a bit with your hand.

-Ideally, tie some twine around the steak to help maintain its circular shape.

-In your preheated cast iron pan, put a light coating of olive oil, which will prevent the tablespoon or two of butter you'll add next.

-Once the butter is melted, sear the outside of the steak, about a minute each side, and then I like to take tongs to flip it on its side and roll it for a few seconds on the edges and brown the outside.

-Now put the pan, steak, and all in your preheated oven. Give it 7-8 minutes, flip it, and give it another 7-8 minutes in there. It's best to have a meat thermometer. Usually around 140-145 degrees will give you a fairly well-cooked steak, not totally well done, but the pink should be gone but there will be some flavor left. Take off the twine and plate it with a starch and a vegetable of your choice.

-If you want to get fancy, a reduction sauce can be pretty easy to make while the steak cooks. I like a balsamic vinegar and red wine glaze, myself. For that, put one part balsamic vinegar and one part red wine (the better the ingredients, the better the glaze, but you can get by with cheap red cooking wine, but I prefer Chianti) in a small saucepan, maybe between 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of each for one person, bring it to a boil, and then reduce it to a simmer. The water content will cook off, the mixture will

• ... thicken and the vinegar will sweeten. You'll also need to add a sweetener, I recommend honey, maybe 3-4 teaspoons. Also add ground pepper and garlic. After 15-20 minutes it should be thicker, and upon removal from the heat, it will thicken more, to a syrupy consistency. It's really good, I highly recommend it. Plate it with some vegetables and a starch of your choice and you're good to gošŸ‘ Here's how mine turned out a few nights ago...
      http://i68.tinypic.com/15gxdnr.jpg

• Are you serious? Well done will not give you a good tender steak. The more rare it is the more tender and juicy it will be. Since you insist on fucking it up by being well done and dry. There isn't anything me or any other chef on this site can help you with. Just buy the cheapest cut of beef like round steak and cook the living shit out of it and fuck it up. The way you want to cook it you will fuck up even the most expensive prime rib roast so save your money and fuck up a less expensive steak. It'll taste the same to you

• I used to be vegetarian and meat grosses me out but because I wasn't healthy and got sick I have to eat meat so I don't get sick. I realize then I was a kid and didn't know how to be healthy then and am better with it now but still struggle with vegetables. It has to be well done because raw/red meat or bloody will make me throw up. I don't see why there's any reason I can't enjoy something like this just because it has to be well done

• Lol okay. Also Kosher and following biblical laws for food are a bit different... just a heads up.

• And your right kosher DOESN'T imply well done. Kosher depicts what is clean and unclean according to the bible. Other biblical laws however deal with how you cook your food as well as several other things.

• I can tell you how they do it in restaurants using a pan. There are other methods like using a builders blowtorch 😈.

1) Buy quality heavily marbled fatty steaks where you can see the fat within the meat, not just a thick strip on top. Make sure the steak is cut at least an inch and half thick. (This is probably the most important step)
    2) Season only with salt seconds before you throw it in the pan. No pepper at this stage since it will only burn. Use a mix of unsalted butter and olive oil (the butter gives it flavour and the oil stops the butter burning)
    3) High heat and sear, flip every 60 seconds. (The old wife's tale of not touching meat in the pan is a myth)
    4) After searing lower the heat right down and slow cook to your desired doneness, tilt the pan and continually baste the steak with the fat and juices. (Optional) You can add crushed garlic, basil, thyme at this point if you want. Since you don't like an actual sauce, drizzle some of this fat and herb mixture over the steak on the plate.
    5) Add pepper on both sides and let the meat rest for at least 2 mins on a separate plate or board (this is to avoid it bleeding onto the serving plate).

Every stove top and steak thickness is different so giving you a timing is pointless you either need to learn by touch or through trial and error (cutting them open and checking). The heat moves back inside the steak after you take it out of the pan so what looks too rare after you take it out will turn into a lovely medium rare after resting.

• Get a thermometer and use the temp to tell you when it is done. You would want to cook it to well done then. I think that corresponds to about 170-180 or so.

Do you have a BBQ? If so sear the steak... crank it up to high and get it nice and hot. Spray the steak with some cooking spray or put olive oil on both sides. Throw the steak on the hot BBQ and flip after about 1 minute. This will sear the outside of the steak and put the grill marks in it. You can rotate the steak to get hatch sear marks on it. Do it four times and then turn the bbq down and cook to desired temp.

• Good question. I have never cooked steak. Some day, I probably will. You wanted it for breakfast? That's weird. It's not exactly a breakfast food. But hey, if that's what you like, then go for it. All I know is when I cook steak, I would at least check to make sure it's cooked well enough. I'd probably ask for someone's opinion on how they cook it.

• You want to cook it relatively rapidly on the outside to sear it. That keeps the juices in. Then slower to get it to the doness you want.

Tenderness depends on the steak itself which is PRICE dependent.

• I don't know much about meat because raw meat grosses me out so I deal with that as little as possible but the steak I'd got was $4. Could have spent more but was first time so just got that guy. It was good just needed more done to it to make it better like had I marinated it or something would have made it better.

• @CheerGirl38139 yeah there was cheaper ones but I just grabbed that one, don't spent much time in a meat section just grab quickly and go. All the blood and even the smell is so gross I can't handle it for long. I wish it would be easier to be vegetarian and I'd be right back with it

• Wow. OK. good luck. Seriously.

• Gotta make it rare. My Vietnamese friend told me rice and rare steak is a good combination. I tried it and it was really good the steak juice soaked into the rice.

• U need cast iron skillet... sier on bouth sides... miedium rare is how i likes it.. not to bloody.. jst pink

• depends. do you want it rare, medium or well-done?

a good way is to pan fry it and sear it or cook it on the pan at a low heat.

• 1 go to a good restaurant
    2 order a porterhouse steak medium
    3. eat
    4 pay or run

• Dear, marination is the best for any meat to get prepared. Go for longer time marinationmarination.

• A steak is made when a cow grows it's muscles...

You can COOK a steak, though...

• By a alberta beef t bone put it in a container with a can worth of coke let that sit for a day or so then cook it with mushrooms and butter tell your disired point then serve it with the mushrooms on top with garlic mash patatos and garlic toast

What Girls Said 6

• My dad makes the best steaks ever. Let me try to remember all the things he does.

He stabs the steak all over with a fork. For spices, I think he uses salt, pepper, white pepper, and maybe some others. Then he coats them in Worcestershire sauce. And leaves the steak sitting for maybe 30 mins or so.

Good luck!!

• It all depends on the cut of beef you buy. Filet is easiest but also most expensive rib eye as well but a bit fattier (they say that's where the flavor is) if you buy a flank or skirt steak, it helps to marinate it to break down the fibers but most important with those cuts is to slice against the grain. And only slice any steak after its had at least 5 minutes to "rest"

• -season (sprinkle) a 2cm thick size steak with salt and pepper
    -put a bit of olive oil in the pan.. Wait for the pan to get sizzling hot
    -put the steak in the pan and cook ALL sides of the steak for 4 minutes (for medium rare)
    -when all done allow the steak to sit out of the pan and onto a plate for 2 minutes
    -eat it with whatever you want. (E. g. Gravy, vegetables etc)

• well done and tender/juicy are polar opposites. That's not possible.

Also, you didn't mention which cut of meat you purchased. The biggest factor is the cut of meat, not the marinade, etc.

• I know nothing about any of that. Growing up I lived in a small town and there was a butcher so we just had one type of meat. I was vegetarian for a while and got sick so had to go back to meat until I could eat healthy so I eat meat for health reasons but it still grosses me out and I won't eat anything bloody, red or on a bone. As for type I just bought whatever said steak and didn't have a bone. It was pretty thick and not a lot of fat on it.

• Gotcha. Well that's super important to how the end result comes out. Also, unless it's a filet, the bone and/or some "marbling" of fat, adds to the flavor (most fat melts during cooking, you trim off the rest).

• So, if you can't eat anything with a bone in or fat, your only choice to get even a half-ass "well-done" steak is to by a quality filet. And even that... cooking it until it's grey all the way through, will cook away most of the flavor and tenderness.

• Fart on it 😂

• okay stab the raw meat with a knife. Create a homemade bbq sauce with mustard, ketchup, soya sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, pepper, a little bit of steak spice. Keep some leftover sauce to spread on it while its BBQing. Now pour the sauce over it and let it soak for about an hour. Then BBQ it.