Is it harassment if someone verbally attacks you?

I am considering filing a complaint with the university for a peer who verbally attacked me.

Most Helpful Guy

• When I was your age, there were bullies, just like now. They used to gang up, and attack me on the way home from school. My parents were pacifists, but I had an uncle that taught me to defend myself.
    A couple times they tried, and got a good piece of me, but after I learned to take care of myself, and Kicked a few of their A$$es a few times, they left me alone.
    It's the Natural Order of things!! The Strong prey on the weak. The only solution is defending yourself, and showing them that you are too much trouble to fck with!!
    Sending a 'complaint' is the norm, today, but most HR departments are incompetent idiots!!
    Words can only hurt you, if you choose to listen, and believe them!! Think about WHO is saying this sht, to you, and then just decide if it is worth hearing!!
    Don't give away your self-esteem, and self-respect to some fool talking SHT!! The people that know you, and trust you, know, and they won't believe lies told by fools!!
    If someone grabs you, or touches you, inappropriately, well, that's a reason to file a complaint!!
    If they just say things to you, just laugh, and ignore them!! Don't CHOOSE to let their words hurt you!! Be the BETTER Person, and just laugh at those idiots!!

• Because it was a guy, it seriously affected me.

If it was a girl I'd shrug it off thinking she's doing it out of jealousy, but it's a very different feeling when a guy does it I can't explain it

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a form of abuse to be verbally attacked.
    The definition of harrassment is aggressive behavior or intimidation. The legal definition, however, is systematic and/or continued unwanted behavior. Essentially, lwgally it has to be a repeat offense. But I would file the complaint as it is unacceptable behavior even if not legally "harrassment". I had a driver verbally abuse me at drive through (got out of his car, screamed at me, thumped my mirror) and I was actually in the right (according to road rules). I got his plates and called the police and even though it was a once of they looked him up, called him, and told him that kind of behavior isn't welcome on the road.

What Guys Said 18

• Perhaps you need to grow up a bit more, ignore the remarks of the other. On the other hand, if those remarks have truths in it, maybe you should listen. Quit having a thin skin and become a real adult. Filling a complaint with authorities on a verbal conversation proves that you are petty and thin skinned... not willing to face the realities of life. Unlike college life, the real world is much harsher and will crush you if you follow a bleeding heart liberal petty attitude in life. Nobody wants a cry baby.

• He started making personal attacks. It was so stupid and ridiculous I cringe at the fact that I felt bad over them, but the reality is he practically cornered me.

• You need to give an example of the "personal attacks" he made. If they were truly to give physical harm, then you must report it immediately to the police and demand an arrest warrant to be made. But word of caution should be heeded... you do need some evidence or a witness to back up your claim otherwise you might end up in jail for wrongful arrest.

• Oh come on, you're not old enough to handle business yourself?
    People nowadays are such cowards, always relying on others to get them out of trouble. My god... -_-

• I reply you what I replied you in your previous thread:

Yes, there are people to complain to.

I still recommend you not to do. Bullies bully those who let themselves get bullied. The moment you go crying to the profs you just make it worse, because you could very well just write on your forehead "I am weak, please bully me".
    Instead you need to learn to stand up for yourself.

• He is an aggressive guy who cornered me there was nothing I could do.

I wouldn't go crying to the prof. I want to have an intelligent discussion with someone of authority of how unacceptable that behaviour was.

Calling me weak is victim blaming by the way. It's the precise reason that women never complain about these things when they are not at fault

• @Fairy21

Nowhere did I state she should just let it happen. So your point is moot.

It's simple psychology. Bullies pick on those they perceive the weakest. Once you don't stand up, but go crying to authority they will perceive you as even weaker. This really isn't rocket science.

• It doesn't matter. If all of this bullies victims would just report him, someone could do something about it. And on second thought, if no one does, then his victims should get together and go beat the hell out of him together. Self defense. But I do think exercising the ability to report any kind of abuse is healthy and should be encouraged. Why do you think so many victims of sexual abuse are too scared to talk?

• I like to think of it as a golden opportunity.

• What do you mean?

• With God as my witness I rest my case. I know I'm right.

• @Fairy21 Good for you. I'm an Atheist, personally :p

• Well, it depends if it happens with you often or not.

• If it's on going it is. If you were threatened that's a threat.

• That's being a little too harsh depending on how many times he's does it. If it was just once and he's chill after that then all is good. But if he goes off like a loose cannon on you everytime he sees you enter a room then yeah if it gets to an extreme.

• Yes. There is something called verbal harassment. Exactly, what did they say? Usually, verbal harassment consists of mainly threats on a person's life or property.

• 1st amendment miss.

• It depends on the nature of the verbal contact and your local laws.

• Personal insults aggressive behaviour almost bullying

• Again, without knowing what was said and what your local laws are, it is impossible for anyone here to say with any certainty.

• Yeah, that's the definition of harassment

• Lol no

• I think it depends on your school's honor code. Every school has different rules

• I really don't want him to get away with it. It makes me sick that he may

• at uni , yes, it is harassment if someone verbally attacks you,
    on the street - it is not

• Is it constant? Daily? On regular basis? Then yes.

• it is only harassment if they continue to do it over a long period of time. Otherwise, suck it up and don't be so sensitive.

• you need evidence

• Verbal attacks can generally be ignored. But if it's really bad (and I mean really, REALLY bad), maybe you should file a complaint.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. You should. Especially if it was completely unnecessary and the level of abuse was pretty bad. Don't let people walk on you.

• It was pointless and done to impress another girl I was not at fault. I'm just not sure who to talk to

• I don't feel comfortable involving the police I don't even feel comfortable involving the prof.

I am thinking of talking to the discrimination and harassment department

• Oh, that might be a good place to start. Are there any guy friends who make you feel like they have your back? Might be good to talk to him too, just to let someone know. Someone who will care enough to have your back in the situation.

• yeah report them

• Yes its still harrassment

• Just sock 'em the next time they harass you. Gaurantee it'll stop

• Harassment doesn't require physical touch