When should you replace your cell phone?

I'm just wondering since I've had mine for almost 4 years now. The charge on the battery is pretty crappy but I don't use it that often. My main issue is how the signal has become pretty bad for half a year now. To the point that I can't use Skype on it well at all. Which is the whole point of why I got this cell phone in the first place. Plus my calls will drop in my house so I have to stand by a window to talk. Again not much of an issue since it's rare for me to talk on it. So I don't know if the signal/network problem is due to it being old, not being made anymore, or if it's the carrier. Which my carrier is straight talk.

The cell phone I have is a LG Optimus Q android. The android version is 2.3.4.

• Every 2 years
  • Every 4 years
  • Only if it breaks
  • Once they stop making it.
This is what my cell phone looks like atm. I'm just really wanting to know if the Skype issue is my carriers fault or if it's my cell phone. I'm not sure how to check which one is causing it.
http://i.imgur.com/k20jTZQ.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

• If it breaks or when you get angry at it because it has become too slow (an OS gets slower as it gets older)

Most Helpful Girl

• Buy a new thing when the other breaks. I had my phone so long that it's out of date, now I have a new one because the company wouldn't replace my battery when it broke, but it's not fancy or anything. I love it though, the new technology, haha, I likey.

What Guys Said 35

• Today, the companies put out new phones every so many months and then hype the shit out of it to convince you that you need to dump your old one and get the new one. And other companies keep putting out new apps that some people feel they just have to have and need the latest phone properly use the apps.

Basically, if your phone does what you need it for, then you do not need to replace it. Unfortunately, even if you are using older apps, newer versions of the same apps may send you codes that your older app does not understand and make your otherwise perfectly good app no longer good.

About your charge... Batteries age and hold a charge for less time. You can replace the battery for a heck of a lot less than replacing the phone.

Reception indoors. Strangely, reception in many buildings seems perfectly fine while in others it sucks. My house, which is wood, is terrible for signals regardless of the carrier, though outside it is fine. My neighbor bought a cellphone signal repeater with outdoor antenna for his house and it works great, but it does cost a couple of hundred. Other buildings such as stores, also crap out the signal. But some seem to work fine. I suspect some buildings use the cellphone signal repeaters, but most would not, so I do not know why it works that way.

I have had my phone for way longer that 4 years, and it is still going strong. But it is pre-smart phone and I may upgrade for that reason. Too many things going on that rely on smart phones now, from depositing checks by phone to using as your charge card.

• What is making me question about getting a new one. Is how Skype on it is being really shitty for the past couple of months now. Acting like I don't have signal so it can't send or receive messages. Yet I can go on the web when it's acting dumb like that. Which the whole point of having the cell phone I do is to have Skype on it.

• Sadly I don't know anyone else with the Skype on their cell.

The only other issues I have with my cell phone is getting calls. Which I do have that thing to boost signal but it doesn't seem like it works for me. Since my phone still drops calls if you not next to a window.

• I am not talking about that device that claims to boost signals. that is crap. What I am talking about is basically the working of a cell phone tower. It has an outdoor antenna and feeds a signal to the electronics inside your house where another antenna broadcasts a cell phone signal inside your house. All cell phones in the house then are able to talk as if outside. You don't use your cell phone that much, so not worth your money to get that.

• Aye, It depends, If it ain't broke dont fix it right?

If you're happy and content with your phone and it does everything you want, Then hell yeah just keep it till its fucked xD, Otherwise if you feel like its lacking probably time for an upgrade.

I suppose it varies person to person, I appreciate that there is often no need to buy the newest shiniest thing out, However im a bit of a tech guy so i like to have the newest and bestest, I will always try to get, Say, The newest iphone within a month of it comings out (Only the S refined versions though, A little more expensive but they have less kinks ;P).

So yeah, Whatever floats your goat really xD.

• Well, when it starts having problems and stuff, its probably time to upgrade. I would have changed my phone a while back because it was having charging port problems but some chargers work on it so... hell no.
    I've put too much work into it to just let it go and then start again.

• Every 2 years is a fair interval to replace your cell phone.

By that point the phone batter's ability to hold a charge is shitty, the hard disk of the phone starts to fail (causing all types of retard illogical gliches), and your operating system (OS) is so outdated that you can't update your apps to use current features / unable to use your apps at all anymore.

My phone is about 2.5 years old, and it does this stupid glitch of 1) randomly hanging up on calls regardless of reception, and 2) EVERY music app I have ever downloaded and used, randomly crashes when listening to music.

My phone works really well otherwise, I've been debating getting a new phone for awhile as well. I think I will pull the trigger next months and get it! :-D

• Personally I would either change it if it becomes so outdates that it just doesn't work with anything, or if it breaks.

For example, my Samsung Note, I had it for about 2 years, but in the end I wanted to rip out my hair because of the weird shit it was doing.

In the end, changing a phone that has whatever problem is only a question of dispensable money. Most Android apps don't support API Level 10 anymore, so I'd say that is quite outdated and cannot really be used as a smartphone to their largest potential.

• The issue that is driving me up the walls atm. Is how Skype doesn't want to send messages. It used to send them just fine and now it takes like 30 minutes to send anything. Since it acts like it can't get a network signal. Which doesn't make sense because I can log onto google and look at the web. Yet Skype is acting like I have no signal.

• I have a smartphone with Android that I am using only for learning a bit. So not that familiar.

• I think now is actually a good time to buy a new phone. I would say the LG G4 is one of the best bets at the moment, although the G5 is also coming out soon.

• I only replace mine if I lose it or drop it in the toilet while a freshly-pinched loaf remains in the bowl. Yours looks a little ragged so you might wanna pinch a loaf!

• Oh that's not how mine looks. Mine is way more scuffed up. :D

• It's because I type fast and the rubber on it is worn out. Sometimes the keyboard has issues adding extra letters when I didn't want it to do that. That or I have to press harder to get M to work.

• Ahhhh. I still recommend the loaf!

• I typically replace my phone when the battery no longer holds a decent charge. Some carriers will loan you a phone to see if your problems are resolved with a new phone.
    My Samsung S4 (protected in an Otterbox) is about 3 years old and it continues to do everything I need it to.

• It's up to you, but when it stops working properly, just like it's happening now, it's definetely time to buy a new one.

• When it no longer serves it's original purpose. I want my phone for texting, calls, music/podcasts, heavy Internet use and great battery life so I can do all of this throughout my day. If it falters in any of those areas. It's time for some kind of upgrade.

• If it breaks or stops working. I've had my phone for almost two years now and I'm in no hurry to upgrade. It's working just fine thus far, so I'll stick with it until it goes out.

• If you're filthy rich: Whenever you want.
    If you're not then it depends on your spending capacity and your needs.
    I used to change it every year. Now after getting my degree and on job hunt, I will change it only when my current one breaks. I don't use phones that much so I will be fine as long as I keep replacing batteries.

• I regret wasting money on phone each year. Even though they weren't expensive, it was just waste of money.

• When it stops working, or when changes to operating systems and the software of applications mean that it can no longer function effectively.

• look on ebay and find a new battery for it. its cheaper than a new phone. as for age my last one was 8 years old when it finally gave out.

• I didn't really use my old HTC Desire S for much else than calls and texting. Therefore when it began to fall apart I simply got CAT B30. Best $90 I've ever spent in my life. That thing is a tank and lasts up to 5 days with moderate usage.

• I replace mine whenever there is a new one where I think the improvements are worth spending the money. That can be pretty much anything... speed, app support, camera quality, etc.

• whenever you think your phone doesn´t help you doing your shit anymore, you "should" get a new one. i personally go for every two years, cause i´m used to being on a contract and the monthly money i pay on it anyway.

• If you like the phone and it has all the functionality that you need, keep the phone and replace the battery. Most replacement batteries are about $20 online.

• I went through all Iphones (4, 4s, 5, 5s, and now 6) Im tried of the race, its like the rat race who has the best phone. I wish we can go back to yesteryear somedays, I miss my Nokia 252 and my Startac.

• The calls being dropped shouldn't have anything to do with the age of your phone, that's either a signal or a carrier problem not the phone.

• Your cellphone is ancient. Get an IPhone and replace it whenever a new one comes out.

• The charge on my moto g has become quite awful after 2 years, so I'm looking for a replacement. I'd say every 2-3 years once you really start getting annoyed by your phone's limitations / battery life.

• Every 2 years for me

• You need an iPhone.
    I have had my iPhone for 3 years, works great.
    Have had my iPod for 11 years, works great.

• I don't like apple products.

• why not?
      Im not a fan of apple products, however I do like the quality of the iphone and the ipod.

• Most info I have heard about apple stuff. They are really picky about what you can download or not.

• when it stops working

• When it breaks, it's too outdated or you can get a free/cheap upgrade.

• When your service provider no longer supports the phone model.
    or if it breaks.

• When you start seeing signs of malfunction.
    Mine is almost 3 years old, and it still works, though sometimes it goes slower than usual. I won't be changing it anytime soon, unless it breaks.

• Only times it's physically messed up. Is once I just pressed the letter p on the keyboard and it wouldn't stop. So it looked like,"pppppppppppppppppppppppppp." Until it finally stopped. Then a couple of times it went black screen. So I had to take the battery out a couple of times and then it worked.

My main issue is how Skype isn't want to send messages easily and can take up to 30 minutes just to act like it has signal to send it. Yet I can go on the web and it show I do have signal. So I don't know why Skype acts like it doesn't.

• Skype's messaging system is weird. I used to use it and many times I didn't get any notifications.
      If the rest works fine, you don't really have a reason to change it, though if it starts acting more weirdly, you should change it before it actually stops working, you don't wanna be without a phone.

• The whole point of having the cell phone I do. Is for Skype since my boyfriend lives in portugal. So if I'm in town, the power goes out, etc. I still have a way to keep in contact with him.

• Certainly when it doesn't work anymore. I've had mine for about close to 10 years, if not that.

• My phone doesn't seem to hold much of a charge anymore, not to mention there isn't a lot of memory to hold stuff. I plan on getting a new phone soon.

• I only replace my phone when I can't use it, like when my last one snapped in half cuz I dropped it

• Only if it breaks, I'm not wasting my money if the phone still works.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 16

• Your issue may be with your carrier, I had similar issues with mine a few years ago. Except for the battery issue, I think I read somewhere that the longer you have a phone the less time it keeps its battery.

I usually upgrade my phone every two years when it's free to do so.

• Dang that's a pretty long time I always wonder how people make their phones or laptops last so long, tell me your secret 😭
    Anyways as I haven't been lucky enough to know that secret, yet, I usually get myself a new phone every 18-24 months and it's always sad and never seems to get easier.. my MacBook just died and so did a part of my soul.. 😶

• For me its when it is done for, damaged with no way of repairing. I like to USE my phone, meaning really see how much I can get out of it and use it to the very last wear or tear but thats just me. I do that too with clothes, shoes and anything else I can find.

• Probably every year. No more than. 2 years. Of earlier if something is wrong with it. As for Skype, it's just shitty. I use it on my cell phone 98% of the time. Sometimes it's cool, but more times than not it's dropping calls and the video is kind of crappy.

• I don't think there's a set time frame. Whenever it becomes difficult to use is probably when you should get a new phone. It sounds like your phone is on its last legs and that you should look for an upgrade soon, though.

• Only if it breaks!

• If it's so old that system updates slow it down, or causes problems, I would replace it. That's why I had to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to the 5s, and then I just got the 6s cause it was pretty lol.

• Well when I tried to update google and some other things. My cell phone started doing this sync thing. Not sure what it was syncing too. Though it seems like that drained my battery with in 7 hours.

• and I had my phone on Idle mode

• Replace it when you start having to make posts wondering when you should replace it cuz it's not working anymore. 👍

• When it's broken or outdated. I'm very up to date with my phones since I use my phone a lot. So about every 2 years or so. It depends.

• haha your phone looks so old, i replace my phone when it get's enough cracks in it that i can't see shit anymore. although i suggest you get a smartphone

• Well if it stops working for whatever you use for then that's when you change it, there isn't a particular timing

• I only replaced mine cause I couldn't send messages anymore, the keyboard wouldn't type and the apps would crash a lot. also couldn't make calls and battery died. they make phones to last about 2 years and then it's truly trash.

• i replace mine every 2 years

• ... You should get a new phone.

• Keep it as long as it keeps working properly

• every years or 6 month in general