Why are nice people treated rudely and sometimes even made fun of?

I'm not going to stop being how I am because of what others think, but still I have seen it happen so often now. I have been seeing it happen all my life to myself, friends and family. I don't understand, don't we all complain about how we need more nice people?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's life you know.

Okay being nice is good, rare and respectable!

The only thing that most of the nice people like you... don't see that not everybody deserves to be treated nicely...

I have started following such rules for me being nice to anybody...
    1. is s/he nice to me?
    2. what's his/her nature?
    3. did s/he takes advantage of people?
    4. is s/he really worth being nice to?

I mean its good to be nice... but its foolish to be nice to everyone. This is not about being nice, its about having self respect.

Most Helpful Girl

• People like to take advantage of nice people and try to push their buttons.

What Guys Said 10

• Being nice is often associated with weakness. The strong don't need to worry about being nice, while weak people do. As a result being an asshole is seen as strength, and being nice is seen as being weak. History is full of examples of how it is human nature for the strong to hurt the weak to reinforce their place in society.

• The mean people see themselves as more powerful and more confident. And that makes them see the nice people as the weak ones. They choose to take advantage of it.

• some people are just repulsed by nice people. yeah it happens lol.

• People look at kind people as the weak. If you're weak they'll take advantage of that and abuse it. I used to be nice but grew up in a bad place and my mother raised me to be very nice but living where I did I couldn't be how she raised me or I'd be hurt. So now I'm just mean not really but I am. If I see someone is really in need of help I'll help but won't go the extra mile.

• yep we do need nice peeps but complaining, judging and general dissatisfaction is human nature... you continue to be a nice person that is the most effective way to obtain nice returns... the only thing we can do besides I've tried being a jerk it just isn't natural for me either ;-)

• because it is easy to take advantage of a nice person

• Because mean people exist.

• People say I'm nice but I don't think I'm all that nice. I just enjoy saying what's on my mind.

• People think they can take advantage of nice people, but that's just wrong.

• That's why you left the site and disappeared? yeah I know its you New Account

What Girls Said 4

• usually because they're so irritatingly naive. the world is harsh and you're not going to survive in it with a nice attitude.

but because i'm such a huge offender of being rude to nice people... some insight into it is b. c... i kinda want them to toughen up

and a sliver of me also wants them to cut the act because it seems so fake

and then part of me also wants everyone to be as miserable as me

• Because they know they'll get away with it. Bullies go for easy targets to boost their fragile egos.

• People view nice people as either being weak and an easy target, it's wrong but it happens.

• Because a lot of people are @$$holes