How can you take a compliment without feeling like you want the ground the open up and swallow you?

People think I'm beautiful. But I have major self-esteem issues. Whenever someone calls me beautiful, hot, cute etc. I get extremely shy and I fucking blush, my cheeks turn red all of a sudden and I become real awkward. Like I don't even know what to say in return and I stutter.

Sure I think I'm a pretty person and I'm grateful for the looks God gave me but honestly I do not see what people see in me or why they make a fuss about how I look.

I swear this is an honest question and I'm not trying to be petty. Anyone feeling the same? How can I get over this? How can I fake feeling confident about myself?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just accept that you are what you are, improve your confidence and this may stop or at least happen in a smaller scale.

• how to improve confidence though :/

• Accepting yourself the way you are is a good first step, then you try to improve the little things that can be improved. With the time, it gets easier.

Most Helpful Girl

• Through the years, I learned that beautiful girls can be very insecure about their looks because people tend to value them based on their looks instead of their character.
    Just thank people and try to smile, it doesn't matter if you blush and you get awkward.

What Guys Said 3

• A big smile and say thank you. Laugh it off if you need even more pressure release.

• Say thank you is a start. I don't get why you have to wonder and ponder why people think you're good looking and why people like you. Just take it and move on

• I can call you ugly, if you'd like. Put up your pic.

• Yeah like i was confident enough to do so...

Lol noone likes to be called ugly, of course I like compliments I just don't know how to respond.

• Well if you really are "beautiful", people will more often tell you what you want to hear. They are much less likely to tell you how full of shit you are for feeling sorry for yourself over constant compliments.

What Girls Said 2

• At times, yes, I understand how you feel. I appreciate the compliments, though, and thank each person that I get one from with a smile.

• Lol I deal with the same problem. It's not that I don't like compliments, it's just that I feel like all the attention is on me that my face ends up turning red every time! I absolutely hate it, so I can understand how you feel!

• I'm so glad I'm not alone in this lol. Do you compliment them in return or are you like... ok thanks? haha

• I actually return the compliment to be kind and also to turn the attention on them! Lol