Do you agree with my therapist statement?

"Relationship" are reciprocal be it friendship or any human connection.
<3
Because I always thought friendships were one sided thing.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, your therapist knows what they are talking about.
    If you've only come this far, I think you still have a fair few sessions to get through.

But take a moment to think about what he/she is saying to you. "Relationship" is a very broad word. It doesn't always mean a friendship or a sexual or life partnership. It can mean any kind of human interaction like the relationship you have with your boss or employees or even the delivery guy. The thing is they are all reciprocal. But that doesn't mean you only get good, you also get bad. Remember that.

Most Helpful Girl

• If there is one and one thing only that I learned from a COMM class in college, it's reciprocity. You can not have a one sided relationship, or rather one that lasts long, because sure we should be giving and loving, etc. without necessarily demanding anything back, but so should the other person in the relationship or friendship in order to work. For example, of the last ten lunches you've eaten out with your friend, they've never once offered to pay, or you always invite your friend over to your house, but they never invite you to theirs, or you always listen to their problems when they call you or want to talk, but they never have time to listen to yours, even when its clear they do. After a while, you start to feel used, or like someone is mooching off you, rather then creating a balance in the relationship where when one gives the other receives and vice versa.

• Yeah that happen to me but I didn't know that back than. I just didn't feel good around her.

What Guys Said 22

• That's so self-understanding for me it's hard to believe you thought the opposite. If you've got a "friend" that doesn't really care much about you, it's obviously not a friend.
    After living in the US, I actually like the way we define "friend" in my country Switzerland versus in America. In America, it's extremely easy to get called friend without actually being a friend. People say things like "You, my friend, are awesome" or people at my American high school referred to be as a friend. I remember being quite confused about that in the beginning because I didn't feel very close to these people and I just did some small talk with them during the lunch break or something like that. In Switzerland, we only call people "friends" if they're really, really close to you and you know you can fully rely on them.

• No I mean I didn't like it much! So the few friends I had I left them. But i never had anyone explain it!

• yes i agree with your therapist. how can a relationship be one sided? relationship by definition is a concept of connection

• Any relationship, from a platonic friendship to a marriage, is a fine balancing act. In perfect balance, when the two people feel the same about each other, harmony exists and all is well. Sadly, quite often the relationship goes out of balance and becomes one-sided. If the balance isn't restored quickly, the relationship is in danger of failing.

• Relationships of any kind romantic or platonic, are a place for giving by both people, one sided is not a relationship, it's a sinking ship.

• I agree, any kind of relationship (including friendship) needs to be recicprocal. If it's one sided, then it's individualism only in my opinion.

• If you qualify the statement by saying that a good relationship is reciprocal, I agree absolutely.

• I agree with your therapist

• All forms of relationships are reciprocal, this so to achieve balance. One sided relationship does not last, Check out mytakes for more on this.

• A one-sided friendship isn't really a friendship, lol.

• Yeah, they're totally right. Relationships that are one-sided will either die off, or they'll leave one/both people wholly dissatisfied.

• i agree with your therapist. friendships are reciprocal. all relationships re a give and take and some people im willing to give less some more.

• friendships are reciprocal in my opinion

• Yes, all relationships have to be a two sided thing to some extent. If they aren't , I mean what's the point?

• Imagine a "Ship" that makes trips between you and the othr person, carrying fellings and other stuff, it will make you both "relate" with each other.
    BAM, you have a "relationship". You must both connect.

• We have to connect with boats? lol

• lol Are you a therapist?

• Nah, but people minds are something cool to try understand, human nature and blablabla xD. yeah, it's something i care about, but i never study anything like that.

• Well yes of course. As they always say it takes two to tango

• I'm always feeling left out or bad when a relationship is one sided. Think about how a relationship or friendship starts. It's from both sides

• Of course they're reciprocal!

• Yes.

• Yeah, actually,
    Friendships that are one sided aren't really friendships.

• Yeah friendship can't be one sided, while there are thousands of one sided g. fs playing with nerds.

• Wut?

• Well there's best friends and then aquaintances. Aquaintence safe fine to have but realize they are just that and don't rely on them or treat them like they're a best friend.

What Girls Said 6

• As far as I have experienced, all friendships and relationships are one sided. It's what someone can get out of you.

• yeah when i told her that I had a friend who never cared about me and that I stop talking to her. My doc was like yeah relationships shouldn't be one sided.

• what you mean it never amounts to anything?

• I've voluntary jobs and stuff. Never gets me any friends or anythingz

• Oh, I agree. It's a symbiosis - both gain something from the relationships. =)

• I agree
    I do not think people get into relationships if they feel they are not getting anything out of it

• No idea because I suck at keeping friends. Mainly just female friends. :'(

• Yeah

• I agree with her, they should be