Which comes first, my sister's wedding or a job?

I am 26 years old and I am going through a little crises with owing back a lot taxes due to being self employed for the past 7 years. I am now ready to get a full time job to help pay off all of my taxes and then start saving for my own apartment as well. I am willing to dedicate my weekends as well to a ful time job because it is VERY neccessary at this point in my life. Now there might be a little family issue because my sister's wedding is on a Saturday in May. If I am schedule to work on a Saturday evening, that means I would have to miss her wedding but I know my family would be mad at me. I kind of don't care because they do not care about the struggle I am going through financially or any other problems I have. Plus my life is more important but I know they would be mad and I don't feel like dealing with that. Advice please!!!

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Advice? Request that Saturday off beforehand. There, done. Or request a shift that allows you to at least make an appearance at her wedding and/or reception.

• I haven't found a job yet. I plan to get one in April. Her wedding is in May. I think that would look bad requesting time off before being on the job for three months.

• No, you tell them at the interview that you have a previous commitment and that your sister is getting married so you'll need that ONE Saturday off.

Your family may piss you off, but an employer is going to recognize that it's your SISTER getting married and that it's kind of important for you to be there.

I told an employer in an interview before that I had a few dates I would need off later in the year and they still hired me, and it was for things much more trivial than a wedding.

• Okay, thank you! I will try that

What Guys Said 10

• It won't hurt to ask your future employer beforehand if you can have that day off. It's your sister's wedding I'm sure they won't mind. On the off chance they dont allow this, just explain to your sister you possibly might not be able to make it because of work. There's nothing you can do about it if she doesn't take it well.

• Job. You can help all of them out with it.

• Did you mean "Can't"? They all have money. I doubt they need any help Lol

• Your so right! Thank you!

• Here at your service.

• Try requesting time off. If that doesn't work, then talk to your sister. If all fails, then I guess you know what you'll need to do - go to work.

• If they don't care about you and your struggle, why should you care about what they think?

Then you say your life is more important

You seem to be leaning towards looking out for yourself, yet asking us what you should do

• have you tried... requesting that time off?

• I haven't find out job yet but I am sure I will be working early or mid April. Her wedding is in May. I just thought it would look bad requesting time off for not being on the job for at least three months.

• when you apply for jobs, one thing they ask is "Are there any days in the next x months that you know you can't work" or something like that. You just put it in there. So you are upfront about it.

• I would suggest talking to your sister, first. Then decide... Good Luck !!

• sister's wedding. don't be like those who put their job ahead of others.

• Your sister's wedding. Family comes 1st.

• You're out in decent time. If you simply tell them that your sister is getting married but that you would still like to do an extra shift (assuming you want this due to financial reasons) I am sure they will be pleasant to deal with.

Now if you're in an interview then do not lead with this. Certainly reveal it if they're asking anything akin to "How available will you be in the upcoming..." however in other cases it can wait until three weeks before the actual wedding or such, a little depending on what the job is.

While I was still studying I had weekend jobs for a while and getting a day off was never any trouble to either of us. I would alert them in time, tell them why if applicable and they would ask if I am available at X date instead. Alternatively I'd swap with a co-worker who was free that day.

• Get a job and then request that day off when possible. Odds are your work will understand and that weddings only a one time thing. One day off of work won't be that big of a deal since there's always more but there's only one wedding. Get a job and get that taken care of but ask for that day off. One day of pay won't make that big of a difference compared to the memories that attending the wedding will have, assuming you want to go to the wedding.

What Girls Said 5

• Whatever you do.. do not miss your sisters wedding!! When you go on interviews, just tell them that you have a specific event on that day... trust me they will understand. I do the hiring for my department at work, and I have had people make all kind of requests for time off just like that during the interview process. It's not a deal breaker in the hiring process.. trust me.

• JOB! but fam is important!

• Your job come first but I don't see why you can't just ask for the time off now.

• Can you not show up at all? Not even to just show your face? Otherwise I'd talk to your sister and see how she feels and if you can work it out.

• Okay, Thank you!

• No problem :) you don't have to ask until you get the job!

• You can't ask for that day off or call in sick?