My doctor wants to put me in a mental hospital.. What do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't go. I saw that you said you've been depressive since you were 13. You've managed so far without being institutionalized. How will being in the hospital change things? Most likely they'll force you to take meds. You can do that without being institutionalized. Also once you go in, you are locked in. You go in voluntarily, but leaving voluntarily is another matter.

I don't see any reason for you to go in except to force drugs in you. Before going in, you should at least try some meds. Ask for the smallest possible dose of the safest drug with the least side effects. Monitor yourself closely and have your SO monitor you also. If it helps, with no serious side effects, then it may do wonders. But until you try that first, going into a mental institution is just too radical.

You've been dealing with this since you were 13. You know your condition. What has suddenly changed after all these years? Has it suddenly gotten worse?

• "You go in voluntarily, but leaving voluntarily is another matter."

Everyone I have known who has voluntarily checked themselves into a psychiatric hospital have been explicitly told that absent any threat of harm to themselves or others, they were free to check out at any time.

What Guys Said 19

• I would definitely say go. You can find another doctor and get a second opinion, but from the history you have given it appears that you do not follow the instructions well on your own and do not medicate properly. Some time in a hospital where they can keep you on a schedule could help stabilize your mental condition. The biggest problem after that will be staying on your protocol. Most people eventually think they are doing well enough that they do not need their medicines, when it is the medicines that are making them feel well. Really work on staying on your meds!

• I guess you can get a second opinion first since it's a big decision but you should probably listen to your doctor

• I take it this would be a voluntary admission? In the UK, if you go in voluntarily, can you leave voluntarily like in the US? If your doctor feels you may benefit from it, it is something to consider. You might want to seek a second opinion, but with a lengthily psychiatric history, that could take a very long time. Also discuss alternatives. Group therapy might be helpful, as might a partial hospitalization program (PHP). In PHP, you go in the morning, have your individual and group session, and go home each evening. You generally have the weekends off and they often last from 2-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Insurance companies in the US love this option because it's less expensive and usually just as effective as in-patient care, plus you feel like you have more control over the situation.

• Let's get this straight...

A certified doctor professionally recommended you to do something, and you're ignoring his advice and instead decided to ask a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet what to do?

Check yourself in the mental hospital immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

• There's probably a very good reason for this, so you should probably go. If you refuse, they might make you go anyway (and yes, that does mean being physically restrained by the police if necessary). Better to go voluntarily.

• Well that depends on what his reasoning is. If you've been self-harming, then yes. If you just feel like shit, then no. They did help my mother but it took them like 3 months.

• Me I'm fucking terrified of being institutionalized.
    I have fought like hell to be functional and I actually had a plan to get the hell out of the country if I had to.
    However I've recently realized that at times in my life and maybe in the future there might be a reason so I've kind of just accepted it.
    If my doctor told me that I'd talk to my friends who have been institutionalized. I'd ask someone you know who has been thats what you should do

• Run.

• Do you feel you have significant mental problems that require immediate attention n careful supervision?

• Why does he want you to spend time in a psychiatric hospital?

• go! They have the BEST ice cream!

... not that I speak from experience...

• What for and for how long? Are you going to get some special treatment? We need more info here to give you the best advice we can offer.

• You should totally go there.

• *waves goodbye*

• Why does he want to put you in a nut house.

• Because. I am a depressant. Have been since 13 but tablets freak me out & so do councillors... Had bad experiences with councilors

• The doctor is a doctor for a reason.

• no dr is infallible.

• Never been to a mental hospital, but heard that they are evil.

• Context please?

• can i be institutionalised instead? free meals and all. you know what they say. madness is just another form of consciousness. there are more rational people "in there" than there are "out here".. .

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 7

• Listen to your doctor.

• But I'm so scared. My partner never takes our 4yo to school now & definitely won't if I get put away. And what happens with visits or what happens if I flip out due to fear & they keep me in for months

• Then that's something you need to talk to your partner about before you go. You need to put your health first in this situation.

• I'd recommend going. From personal experience, listening to your doctor is usually best 😋 You wouldn't be put in hospital for very long and when you come out again, things might be easier for you. It's worth a shot anyway, I think? 😊

• Follow your doctor's advice since commitment is rare and only used in serious situations.

• What did you tell him? Never tell them you want to kill yourself or they have to call the hospital!

• Source: I suffer from depression and been commited to two mental hospital! But go! and if you don't get a therapist and go get some medication! It really helps!

• you're an adult, they can't force you. what would be the purpose for it. i wouldn't go , anything they can do there they can duo outside. unless you're about to off yourself or someone else, why would you go?

• are you worried about being institutionalized, or the fact your son won't get to school?

• Well seeing that you're from the UK I would say if your doctor wants to put you in a mental hospital then it something that you need because i have seen how bad the NHS has been dealing with mental health and the lack of beds left in mental hospitals people with bipolar and schizophrenia are having to be put on waiting lists so if your doctor wants to put you in a mental hospital then it must be pretty serious in which case what you should do is take notice of your doctor if he/she thinks it will benefit you

• What iif they keep me in?
      I'll literally go crazy. I'm freaking out just thinking about it!

• What do you mean what do you do?

• Well, now I feel scared to go bk to the doctors about my depression as she may take me away!
      Do I go and leave my fiance & 4 year old son alone.
      Or do I hide my depression & fake it?

If I go, my partner will not take our son to school when it's time. He never does now so he won't then.
      If I stay I'll stay depressed & be sad all day. 😢