What are some creative and meaningful prompts I can use to write letters to my mother in a paper time capsule as a mother's day/birthday gift?

I went to Barnes and Noble tonight and found a great gift idea for my mom's birthday/Mother's Day, which happen pretty close together. It's a paper time capsule with fold-out letters with the following prompts...

A special memory I have of you is...
From you, I learned the importance of...
One thing I'm glad we share is...
I always think of you when...
I love that our family is...
One thing I admire about you is...
The best adventure we've had together was...
I've always wanted to tell you...
Thank you for...
In the future I hope we...

After these are two completely blank letters to allow the person to write their own prompts. I'm really not creative enough to think of anything else that could spark important and meaningful memories, so I was hoping for some ideas from others.

What Guys Said 2

• Maybe you can use one of the blank prompts to describe how you viewed your mom when you were a little girl. And use the second blank to describe how you view her now.

Granted, it will overlap with some of the other topics, but it's always interesting to know how a person's view of her parent (as a person) changes once they get older.

Obviously we all find out that our parents are more flawed and messed-up than we once thought LOL, but you don't have to include that tidbit. :P For people who have a good relationship with their parents, you often learn other things from observing your parents as an adult, that you wouldn't have possibly seen when you were little. Many parents feel "abandoned" by adult children -- like their children don't need them anymore -- and so describing how much you still look up to and learn from her might help to show how important she still is to you.

• That's a great idea, but I don't think my views of her have changed much. We've always been close. If anything, she annoys me more now than she did when I was little, which might not be good to write about. :P She certainly knows I need her, though. I'll be 25 in 4 months and still count on her for a lot of things.

• >>>>>>"If anything, she annoys me more now than she did when I was little"

^ Hahaha isn't that always the way? xD

But well since your view on her is mostly the same between childhood and adulthood, maybe combine them into one prompt? And then there'd just be the one other prompt to figure out. :)

• A special memory I have of you is when you took me in your arms when i cry and try to make me smile and happy,
    From you, I learned the importance of being a strong women.
    One thing I'm glad we share is endless love between us.
    I always think of you when i see a mother caring soo much for their children and smiling when their children are happy.
    I love that our family is complete with you.
    One thing I admire about you is you always do the best for us and always do hard work for us.
    The best adventure we've had together was when you were pregnant./or you can add your any life event.
    I've always wanted to tell you that i love you very much and i always wanted to be a strong and loving women like you.
    Thank you for your sacrifices and taking care of me for so long time.
    In the future I hope we still be together and care and love each other like we do now.

• I already know what I'll add to those prompts as answers... I'm just trying to find more topics to write about. Thanks for more ideas though :)

What Girls Said 0