Trap music and edm trap music. Is this a form of genre appropriation?

Though the edm trap also uses the percussion samples that original trap music used, there's a very large difference between real trap music and techno calling itself trap music. You may say that edm trap appropriated the Roland TR-808 drum samples from original trap music. Its also misleading - for instance, when you think you're going to a trap house, gonna score some crack but its really just a bunch of teenagers with glow sticks and some molly. Trap music purists and crackheads, does this bother you at all?

0|0
1|3

Most Helpful Guy

• The whole argument of cultural appropriation is ridiculous. Are we to chastise Led Zeppelin for ripping off blues riffs and making a fortune off the backs of African-American musicians? Should the remaining Beatles pay reparations for being influenced by Motown? Culture has become a global free-exchange of ideas and memes, and by meme i don't mean image-macro. Look up the word meme. There is no such thing as a purely original idea. All ideas are influenced and shaped by things that already exist. Electronic music, just like folk and pop music, is ever-evolving in the hands of a community of craftspeople who draw influence from multiple sources. People need to drop the issue of cultural appropriation and move onto a more worthwhile topic. There are many real problems to be dealt with in the world, and cultural appropriation is not one of them.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• lol i like aspects of trap music but only when i'm in a car with my friends

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 2

• I think trap music sounds good regardless of whether it's percussion samples are a specific sample. Restricting samples would only lead to a lack of diversity.

1|0
    0|0
  • I read "appropriation" and immediately stopped reading.

1|0
    0|0
    • Gag saw the word 'appropriation' and decided to feature it.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!