Dog owners: Getting your dog desexed?

I have a 7 year old collie and we were intending on breeding her but never did, so now it's only the right thing to do to get her spayed for her health.

I was just wondering if you found that your dogs changed a lot after getting them spayed or neutuered
my dog humps but only when she is palying, never in a sexual way.

i would hate to see her personality and behaviour change since we have known it for so long and that's what makes her who she is.

Most Helpful Guy

• they become less horny and a bit less hyper, and don't mark their territory quite as often but other then that they don't really change that much. Really the only major thing that changes is that they become more calm, but their personalities and all that stay the same.

• apart from when she is playing, my dog is already super calm, any calmer and you would think she is frozen

• Lol well it depends on the breed to mind you.

Most Helpful Girl

• We neutered our dog when he was 2 after we bred him (intentionally). And we were exited for him to calm down and everything that people said would happen after they get fixed.

And you know what changed?

He lost his balls.

Literally behaved the exact same lmao

What Guys Said 3

• I had a lab that we were gonna breed but didn't and we got her fixed when she was 6. She didn't change at all. She did get a little heavier so I put her on a diet with different food but I don't know if that was from fixing her or just cuz she's getting older. Probably cuz she's getting older.

• He stopped peeing on every single thing when I walk him

• Of course the behavior will change when you take away part of someone's hormonal system. That's just logic. If we change anyone's inner chemistry they change. Try putting a guy on estrogen for a bit, he'll change. That's the way it is. One of the main reason to sterilize a dog is to alter the behavior. It is, aside from taking away the ability to procreate, why most people do it.

I personally have grown up with dogs all my life and never saw any need to have any dog "desexed". I suppose if you have a legitimate reason to do so then go ahead, but it isn't as if the rare diseases a dog could get are frequent enough to justify it on its own unless there is specific reason your dog would be getting this (e. g hereditary ones that your pet is more susceptible to).

• female dogs can get a type of cancer in the uterus that kills them and shows no symptoms, its common in older dogs and i know people who have had their female dog have it

What Girls Said 7

• I had both of my dogs spayed and neutered. The female's behavior didn't change at all. The male just became more calm afterwards but his personality stayed the same. He's very curious, independent, and energetic but he doesn't act as crazy as he did before so in my opinion, it was a positive change for him. Lol

• In my experience, their general behaviour and personality doesn't change. If it does, it's not that noticeable. You may notice that she's not going to pee 1,000 times when you walk her, because she will no longer feel the need to let the males know where she is. And of course, she will no longer go into heat. She is still fairly young, so that lowers the risk of complications from surgery.

• i haven't desexed any of my dogs but I'm quite sure their behaviour would change, particularly the males.

• My female still humps her toys and she is spayed. She did it before she got spayed and still does. Her personality didn't change in any way

• A lot of times dogs hump to show dominance. Personally I grew up rescuing dogs so I'm 100% for spaying and neutering because of overpopulation but it also has it's individual benefits, a lot of dogs become a lot more come- some more cuddly

• My dog was 5 or 6 and got pregnant and had 5 puppies. I hated dealing with the blood when she was in heat because she was an inside dog and hated having to deal with the puppy mess so I got her fixed. I found a good vet and they kept her overnight to be sure she was ok and got an extra pain shot. She's been the same all throughout everything, very lovey and protective of me as she always was and now she's 11 years old.

• this is so reassuring to hear especially since your dog is around the same age as mine when they got/are getting spayed!
      mine is an indoor dog too :)

• My dogs were all spayed/nurtured when they were puppies (or before i even got them)...