Do you find America depressing & lonely?

I came to the US as a student around 4 months back & I'm bored already. It feels lonely out here & everything just feels the same. Feels like its a lifeless place. Back in my home country I saw people all around even without giving me this feeling that my privacy is being encroached upon or its noisy. Also, you know the job scene here. My friends (?) here are facing problems even getting an internship, job is a distant thing. I'm contemplating going back now. Still a bit confused though...

I live in Tampa Florida. Just to clarify that was didn't mean to disrespect the country un anyway. Was just stating what I felt. Also, any opinions on the American dream? ;-)

Most Helpful Girl

• ABSOLUTLY! I feel like the world is a lot less place and I want to travel sooooo badly. This country has no culture! Loved here my whole life. Thought ideas the only one to notice. Nothing against the country but I want to move to Europe so bad (maybe. I've never been.)
    I've also had no luck finding internships

Where are you from?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends where you live. If you're a college student, then you shouldn't cause there's everyone right there. If you live in a city, probably because everything is so spaced out. In a small town, maybe because everyone knows everyone but it's usually so spaced out where if you don't have a car, you're fucked cause public transportation is about as useful as a tampin for a dude. Also, the country is 330 million people and as big as a continent so hard to pinpoint that considering I doubt you traveled even half the country

What Girls Said 3

• hah you summed up the life in America. that's how it is here, no one has time for fun and we all worry now we'll pay our next rent. everyone thinks America is so glamorous, it's not. it's a shit country, I've been here since I was little.

everyone is jaded and it's too fast paced here. go back home

• So you were born and raised here? Then ideally you should be well adjusted n liking this place ya? Do you also plan on moving out of America someday? #Just

• Yea. It's meant for retirees mostly lol. Just the beaches and the Latino & Hispanic babes, but that's about it :-/

• trust me that's better then where I am lol.

• Thats because you don't know anybody here. Most people don't associate with others they don't know here.

• do you live in suburbs? maybe you should move to a bigger city, all suburbs are equally depressing and lonely.

• I live in downtown Tampa dear. Still :(

What Guys Said 13

• The US is a very big, very diverse country. There are all kinds of social settings in different parts of the country and within each state. In many small towns people tend to know each other and interact freely far more than in the big cities. On the other hand, they tend to be less educated and less tolerant of people much different from themselves. You could probably find a place more compatible to your temperament if you look hard enough. You can also create a social framework where you are but you will have to work at it more than in many places. It depends on many factors including job availability. Finding the right balance is an issue for anyone who leaves to live in a completely different place.

• Sounds like you need to get out more, put yourself out there and meet folks, explore are you introverted by any chance?

• Lonely? are you serious? all you have to do is get out there and have fun.

• I'm an introverted guy, I know there is a downside to it. :(

• Alright man, good luck! Try to put yourself out there

• Ya but I still think better days are ahead. Work hard and keep your spirits high

• if you think America is depressing now, wait until you see what happens in the next 3 - 4 years when wall street fucks up the U. S. (and world) economy yet again. Dude, just have as much fun as you can before you can't anymore

• Omg, you're giving me all the more reason to run away from here lol. My moods have less to do with the economy though. Thanks :-D

• you dont need to leave. You just need to prepare and enjoy things as they are now

• Somewhat, yes. But it depends on where you are looking and how. Unfortunately, it seems to get more and more depressing as time goes on. Nobody treats others well anymore like we used to. We have dissociated each other from a great camaraderie that once was. I think it has a lot to do with the media and Hollywood in general.

• You think so? I guess the feeling is mutual though I've been here for just close to 4 months now. I end up fretting over my decision and wana redo it but... my parents probably won't allow me. I'm glad you're surviving somehow. God bless you my friend and the country too.

• I don't believe i think so. I believe I KNOW so. Just think of all of the movies/television shows that have broadcast on TV and in movie theaters.

• I've never been there so I can't really tell
    Is it depressing and lonely there, Is it really that bad?

• Depends. The place I come from is much more livelier n happening that the US

• I learnt English in my home country. You can learn it too in your place. Why come all the way to US for it haha

• Not to learn. I just want to go there because I want to speak it, I want to hear it all around me :p
      Going to london was amazing

• I was born in Florida, and I detest that state. I've lived in Tennessee for the past 12 years and am so glad that I made the move. I'm an introverted person also, so I can relate to you. Where are you from, by the way?

• I'm from India, there are people around you always in my country as in you have the privacy but you never feel lonely. SO ya, it gets lonely here for me.

• yes america is depressing it's all about money and being something you are not

• Where are you from? You too feel the same ya...

• Interesting. I think I should go back. But my friends say that its' the only opportunity that people crave for and why do I wana leave it. :(

• it depends on you, truth is you can live any where you want. only advice stay away from war zones, having a lot of money doesn't mean a happy life, but what is your goal?

• Its not that bad

• No..

• Naw it's vibrant and fresh in my city 🙂

• America's DEFINITELY far better than Europe... trust me...