Do animals grieve the loss of other animals?

One of our cats passed away last night😐 it was so unexpected and very sad. I will miss her.

I noticed today my cat in particular has been sleeping and laying down all day. He never just lays there he's very mischievous. I think he ate once today. He's being very clingy and hasn't left my side.
He was very close to the cat who passed away they were tic and tac. Always together. So its like he lost his best friend.

Like you can honestly see the hurt in his face, it really breaks my heart seeing my baby like this.

I'm being extra loveable to him. Extra kisses and hugs💖
Thanks everyone💖😻

Most Helpful Guy

• Primates are thought to. There have been instances of primates other than humans carrying dead babies around like they were still alive. Some people think they're grieving; other people think they just don't realize they're dead.

I've had a few dogs die, but I don't remember the effect on my other dogs. Nothing I consciously recognized. Actually, my pit bull died last year. At the age of fucking 8. Best dog I ever had. Also the gentlest. She was scared of fireworks. Anyway, my other dog knew her for around 2 years. He didn't seem to be any worse for wear when she disappeared. Although I didn't exactly pay attention to his behavior, I'm sad to say. I had to ignore that she was dead, for myself.

However. Watch some Ceaser Milan. People tend to project human identities onto their pets. Pets become members of the family. Instead of being perceived as they are, they are perceived as babies or children. As Milan says, dogs, for instance, are not humans first. Dogs are animals first, type of animal second: dog, then breed: pit bull; then their name, their human identity.

So. I wouldn't be surprised if you were projecting your human emotions on to the animal. Cats are not humans. And really, cats are assholes in the first place.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, they do. Our dogs grieved when one of the others passed away. They do tend to go lethargic and go off their food. It helped our dogs to be around things that smelled of the other dog so they didn't lose them completely. I know you can't exactly do this, but generally they mourn faster if they actually see the body of the other pet and can totally understand what happened because it can be confusing if one day they're there and the next they're not, y'know? But I think your cat probably understands. Just show him a lot of affection, he must be really upset <3

• He actually licked her after she passed away.

• Aww :( Our dogs didn't get that opportunity, we didn't know that it would help and I think we were in too much of a panic to get to the vets to stop and think, y'know? I guess think of that as your cat saying goodbye - he understands what's happened, he'd have recognised what was wrong instinctively, and he's just grieving now as we would for a relative or a loved one. If you just give hm a lot of affection, he should recover and be okay again.

• Aww I'm sorry for your loss💖
      That's what I said that was him telling her goodbye.
      He's been laying down on the blanket him and her would cuddle on. I gave him some cat nip earlier it kinda spunk him up, but he went lay down again. I hope so he looks so sad😐 I've been cuddling him all day.

What Guys Said 27

• Yeah, if their social animals then definitely (as most domesticated animals are), in fact elephants have been recorded actually remembering their dead, touching their bones and mourning them. As for cats and dogs, also yes they are social and so they do bond with other people/animals and when they die they notice that.

• Yes, they do grieve the loss of another animal and they also can pick up how their owner is feeling as well. That will be the two reasons your cat is acting like this. Animals are much smarter than many humans give them credit for.

• Yeah, the best thing you can do is what you are doing. Cuddle him a lot and show love to him. He needs it. :)

• Absolutely they have feelings and are driven by emotions, they may not have a super high level of rational intelligence but they do feel loss and other things like anxiety. They're all about love and connection.

• We as animals grieve. Is it so hard to believe that other animals feel loss?

I'm sorry for both your losses.

• Yes, and I've seen it myself. Many years ago my dog had a miscarriage, and she started carrying around her stuffed teddybear a lot more often than usual. She actually wouldn't go anywhere without it for a month, and would get upset with you if you moved it.

• Some more than others. If I remember correctly, dogs and elephants are the most aware of and sensitive to it.

• Yes they do we had to put one of our doing do to terminal cancer and the other dog didn't eat , play and would just let there. we had to feed the dog anything we could get her to eat. It took in till we got another dog for her to start to come out of it

• Yes, any animal with a semblance of intelligence grieves. Dogs will grieve over owners, elephants will grieve over other dead elephants.

The true interesting fact here, is that you can actually grieve yourself to death, and this is a scientific fact.

• Yes they do

• Yes, but have they grieve can consider widely for the species...

• Fucking interpreter... *sigh*
      Yes, but how they grieve can vary considerably by species.

• I'm sorry for your loss. Yes they do grieve. Mine look for the missing one when they are gone for more than a few hours (vet appointments for example). They walk all around the house meowing in a confused manor. Cats are social creatures and they are smarter than most people give them credit for.

• Well, yeah of course they do! Mammals especially, they have a sense of family and companionship.

• Yes I think they do.

• Yeah they do.

• Yeah that's happened with my old doge's.

• yes. for example, the episode of futurama with seymore, the dog is based on a true story.

• Absolutely. I know when a person has more than one dog and one dies the other (s) are depressed too.

• Yes they do. Especially swans. They live in pair and if one of them died another die due to broken heart...

• I do bive they do my neighbors cats used to play with each other for the past 5 years, one of them died (poor kitty) and the other cat still sit by its grave everyday for at least 30 minutes to moarn it's fallen friend

• There was a study showing that sheep were capable of this.

• Yeah, they do. Especially dogs.

Don't look it up on youtube. It'll make you feel miserable.

• Some do and your cat does seem to be grieving

• Yes.

• pretty sure elephants have been know to cry

• They do, especially dogs and horses.

• Yes, I've seen so many vids of dogs that grieve... Cats as well

• they do

What Girls Said 21

• Yes they do I am very very sorry for your loss, you do however need to watch your other pets closely for a while because sometimes they get so sad they stop eating and this can be dangerous. After my rabbit died the cat we had at the time became very lethargic and would walk around moaning at night, he also refused to eat and we had to take him to the vet to be basically force-fed through a tube. Grief can hit some animals hard and it can be dangerous so continue to give him lots of attention and pay attention to his eating habits for a while.

• Aww sorry that your cat died 😞

I think they fret for the other pet, because they are so used to having a little buddy around. So they are bound to feel a sense of loss. They probably feel a little lonely too. So that's why they become more clingly. Aww your cat must feel in the need of comfort right now. Lots of love, attention and cuddles will help him/her be his/her usual self again.

• Yes, absolutely. I've seen it in my horses, my cats, and my dogs. Comfort her the way you would a human, her world has been turned upside down as well.

I am sorry for your loss. Hugs.

• Some more than others, but the ones that do, really and truly do mourn. Here is a good article about it: nypost.com/.../

• Of course. Animals can get depressed too. So it's good that you're being extra lovable. If he likes to play, you can also try to do that to help him with his mood.

• I am not sure. I don't think they do!

• I think this has been found in dogs in particular but it wouldn't surprise me if cats would do it as well when they lose a friend.

• Yes, they definitely do and some will even stop eating and/or drinking. Be careful to make sure it continues to do so.

• Yeah, animals grieve. Wee darling! All the more reason to be spoiling him with extra love ❤️☺️

• I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( :( sending you lots of love and a big hug <3
    And the answer to your question is yes, animals do grieve.
    I hope your cat feels better soon and gets back to being his mischievous self <3

• Yes, elephants do

• They do, animals do grieve.

• Yes animals do that

• Of course! They are living things too! They have feelings just like humans.

• yes animals will grieve just like humans do

• Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah, animals have feelings too.

• I believe so. Animals are people too. They feel like we do

• They do.

• sorry to hear that :(
    oh yes, sure they do

• Yes they do