I'm not photogenic, how do I learn to be photogenic?

I honestly am 10x less hideous looking in person. It's just that I automatically get awkward in front of a camera and I guess it's because I'm a geek. However, my boyfriend wants me to take photos with him from now on, for irrelevant reasons. I've never cared for photo's but I need to know now, how the hell do you take them? How do you not automatically get awkward in front of a camera?

Most Helpful Guy

• - Trust: you need to build trust with the photographer, even if that's you or your boyfriend taking selfies.

- Technique: learn how cameras work. Use lots of light, but have it BEHIND the camera, not in front. Diffuse light is better - it will break up the shadows that would otherwise be under your nose, chin, and in your eye sockets.

- Pose: practice posing in front of a mirror - A LOT. Models do this, because they have to. Having a good photographer who can pose you well will also make your pics much better.

- RELAX: If you are nervous or upset, that will come right through in the photo. The more relaxed you are, the better the photos will look.

What Guys Said 11

• Damn, you think you look hideous? You're a total gorge. 10x times more gorge in reality, lucky boyfriend of yours... LOL.

It helps when you can see what the camera is seeing. Like using the front camera of a phone, then you'll adjust the angle and pose accordingly.

• How do you pose? I'm a geek, I don't even know what posing is, could you reccomend a good poser?

• I'm a total geek too. If I'm taking a selfie, I just keep adjusting until it looks nice and then I click the button.

• Adjustment? Okay, I'll keep that in mind

• Practice posing and showing off your best angles relative to the camera lens. Focus on where the lens is, so you immediately know what pose to use once the camera is out and taking photos.

It's not as easy as it sounds. You need to practice a lot.

• Okay, I'll try, I'll have to ask my boyfriend to help me, and he'll probably find it laughable, but I'll do it anyway

• 1. You are a lovely girl even in pix, so you have nothing to worry about.
    2. Unfortunately, being "photogenic" is natural and either you have it or you don't. I've know 2 beautiful women who were not photogenic and so pictures did not do them justice. However, with the right lighting and angles and clothes, one can be more phtogenic.

• 2 tips.

Only take pics +/- 45 minutes of sunset and sunrise. The lighting is just better at that time.

And until you've mastered other modelling poses, whenever you're taking a pic, imagine you have a string attached to your head right between your eyes. Now, pull that string directly towards the camera.

• Close your eyes and look down, rest your face, then in front of a mirror raise your head begin to smile and open your eyes... boom, true smile.

• rest your face and smile

• Prove it.

• You look fantastic to me. I see no problem.

• I know this feeling. The camera loathes me. :-/ I've just learned to live with it.

• Angles, lighting and more angles!

Ohhh and take 1000 photos and choose the best one

• Can you even practice being photogenic? Is it a skill?

What Girls Said 6

• Lots of posing in the mirror and

• Just be confident, I'm a complete geek but just smile and be silly. Being yourself is key. If it helps change your face before the picture is taken for a more natural and not staged expression. Like if he is holding out the camera and is taking years to take the photo don't strain your face cause then the photo will come out weird.

• Best thing to do is try to make yourself laugh while smiling. That tends to help you do a more natural smile.

I have issues taking pictures too. For some reason one of my eyes doesn't want to be as wide as the other. :(

• better lighting?

• You don't learn to be photogenic, you just are.

• Just smile. You'll eventually get used to it.